diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Mini-Split heat pumps and heat pump hot water heaters are very efficient (3-4 times than electric element heating) if a temperature outside is above 35F. I have 1 in each room, and they also work as AC during the summer.
This can greatly reduce the size of solar panels and batteries.
heatpumps are just amazing. Newer inverter type claims to work down to 5F, such as this one from Amazon:

am waiting for 2023 to install a few, with tax credit incentive.

Our central whole house heatpump was cranking out ~80F inside while it was 20F outside last winter. We also discover direct radiant heat, like those "heat dish".

That is how you would have to do it. Best way would be Solar Assist or House Assist since you would get more data out of those apps and they are local and don't need the internet. Then, you could put them on a local network so that you could access them remotely.
Does Solar Assistant runs on a Raspberry Pi and actually manage the interface between inverter and batteries with a closed loop system? In other words, it not only poll the BMS for detail information, but uses the information to accurately monitor and manage SOC using the inverter? Can it also be connected to the internet and be access with a smart phone? Notice that I'm asking, since I have no experience with Solar Assistant.

Does Solar Assistant runs on a Raspberry Pi and actually manage the interface between inverter and batteries with a closed loop system? In other words, it not only poll the BMS for detail information, but uses the information to accurately monitor and manage SOC using the inverter? Can it also be connected to the internet and be access with a smart phone? Notice that I'm asking, since I have no experience with Solar Assistant.
Here is a link to the choices for setting up battery communications. You can use the information from the inverter, or you can hook your batteries up (depending on the brand/BMS) directly: https://solar-assistant.io/help/battery/configuration

Solar Assistant does provide remote access. Most people who want to use Solar Assistant do it for a few main reasons: 1) to get more info out of their inverter/batteries and 2) to eliminate the requirement to have their data collected and stored in the cloud 3) The data is real time and not on a 10min lag while it is waiting to be picked up by a cloud application. Here is a link to different access methods, but people can and do get more elaborate with their access. However, that requires the user to not be afraid, or to have knowledge of, networking methods. https://solar-assistant.io/help/access/overview

Last edited:
Is there anymore information about these GSL hybrid inverters being able to parallel with another GSL hybrid inverters?

Whenever I ask Nick Pan about these inverters being able to parallel, the answer is that the firmware is being updated this week. I have waiting now over two weeks for my inverters to have updated firmware. They have actually done multiple firmware updates. My hybrid inverters were never updated, since none of the updates will parallel the GSL hybrid inverters.

I'm tired of waiting, so I have agreed to delivery. Obviously in the 8 days for delivery from China to Panama, the firmware will be updated and tested to work with 12K inverters in parallel. So after I install the inverters, they can help me with the firmware update.:rolleyes:

Nick told me no worries. I replied that I'm already worried.:unsure:

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm a bit disappointed. Went down the route of simulating a modbus meter to the point where the inverter recognizes it and produces no errors. Packet captures look clean. However, no matter what I try, reported power is always 0W. Why? Engaged support for more information on what meters are compatible in hopes of acquiring a 'real' one for comparison. As it turns out, the feature is not yet complete and will be added later. I do not know if this is specifically due to split phase config or something else - nuances are lost in translation.

Is anyone using or planning to use modbus meters with this inverter?

Ok, so I'm a bit disappointed. Went down the route of simulating a modbus meter to the point where the inverter recognizes it and produces no errors. Packet captures look clean. However, no matter what I try, reported power is always 0W. Why? Engaged support for more information on what meters are compatible in hopes of acquiring a 'real' one for comparison. As it turns out, the feature is not yet complete and will be added later. I do not know if this is specifically due to split phase config or something else - nuances are lost in translation.

Is anyone using or planning to use modbus meters with this inverter?
Welcome to my world. My only answers from GSL is always that the firmware is being updated this week, which is true. Unfortunately, none of the updates have attempted to add paralleling for my two inverters. I have never gotten a straight answer from Nick Pan, if the inverters can AC couple or not.

I hope that you have better luck actually getting the firmware update that you need.

I have never gotten a straight answer from Nick Pan, if the inverters can AC couple or not.
I am pretty sure AC coupling is not an issue.
AC coupling is done at the 240 volt level, which is basically the same as rest of the world without split phase.
I am pretty sure the problem with paralleling is having the split phase setup with un-even loaded phases that needs to be distributed over multiple inverters that is the problem. That is the only difference from split phase vs single phase and afaik the single phase units work great with paralleling.

I am pretty sure AC coupling is not an issue.
AC coupling is done at the 240 volt level, which is basically the same as rest of the world without split phase.
I am pretty sure the problem with paralleling is having the split phase setup with un-even loaded phases that needs to be distributed over multiple inverters that is the problem. That is the only difference from split phase vs single phase and afaik the single phase units work great with paralleling.
You have given me more information and more confidence that the problem can be fixed than GSL.

Has anyone tested the AC couple throttling function?
When the batteries are full, does the grid tie inverter get throttle down?

I have a 15 Kw grid tie that I plan to couple with this inverter. It can charge up the battery really fast, and can over drive the voltage unless properly throttle down by a frequency shifting scheme that LUX implemented.

Last edited:

I have a 15 Kw grid tie that I plan to couple with this inverter. It can charge up the battery really fast, and can over drive the voltage unless properly throttle down by a frequency shifting scheme that LUX implemented.
It should be perfectly fine, as long as it's grid tied as excess can be bled off to the grid. If off grid, there's nowhere for the excess energy to go (if the batteries are full), the LUX will not be able to shut down the AC coupling that quickly. You'd need a dump load if off grid and the batteries are full.

It should be perfectly fine, as long as it's grid tied as excess can be bled off to the grid. If off grid, there's nowhere for the excess energy to go (if the batteries are full), the LUX will not be able to shut down the AC coupling that quickly. You'd need a dump load if off grid and the batteries are full.
If it were smart it would deplete the batteries with a few percent to create a storage room to buffer ;-)

best to verify all the claims, call me paranoid

If it were smart it would deplete the batteries with a few percent to create a storage room to buffer ;-)
i think, at least on my MPP hybrid, the low battery cut-off to switch mode is an user setting

Can confirm that the built in RSD signal emitter from AP systems is working great with my TIGO RSD devices:

If the frequency shifting works, there will be no need to rely on the headroom on the battery.
LUX inverter will shift the frequency up gradually to tell all connected grid tie inverters to reduce their generated power when the battery is full and grid is not connected (or down). That is why frequency shifting scheme is central to AC coupling. All inverters claiming to have a full AC coupling capability need to have this feature.

Has any one successful AC-coupled a Fronius inverter ? I was told in the early days of AC-coupling, albeit years ago and things have changed quite a bit, that Fronius inverters were notoriously difficult to AC-couple. Enphase micros seem quite happy and straight forward with AC-coupling.

Has any one successful AC-coupled a Fronius inverter ? I was told in the early days of AC-coupling, albeit years ago and things have changed quite a bit, that Fronius inverters were notoriously difficult to AC-couple. Enphase micros seem quite happy and straight forward with AC-coupling.
Yes, I have heard the exact same thing. However, I have heard that Fronius will AC couple with Schneider and Victron, according to my solar contractor that is a Fronius authorized installer.

Please share your experience. When I receive my (2) GSL hybrid inverters, I intend to AC couple (3) 5KW Fronius Primo GT inverters. It would be nice to know, if it is possible to AC couple the GSL inverters with the Fronius inverters. My Fronius inverters were listed UL 1741-2015.

Does anyone have experience with the Pytes/DLG batteries, specifically the E-Box-48100R? I'm very interested in using these batteries with closed loop setting for Luxpower inverters. They are actually available in Panama.

I just read the DLG user manual and I didn't see the BMS Protocol table for closed loop settings for different inverters brand. The battery has the Canbus and RS485 ports and there is an explanation, but nothing about closed loop or open loop or about inverters' brands.

In the manual, it shows trademarks for 15 inverters manufacturers, which includes Luxpower, Sol-Ark, Growatt, Pylontech, etc. It only shows the trademarks in the margin without any mention that it is compatible with any of these brands or any text at all.

Can we actually get more power than 50A for whole house use when we are AC couple?

If we were Sol-Ark and connecting through the generator port, we would definitely be limited to 50A passing through the inverter before connecting to the household demand.

GSL is connecting the AC couple power to the UPS port not generator port, which is the same connection for the household power. The household demand could use the AC couple power for the house before its input into the inverter. In my case 15,000/240=62.5A from AC couple. The inverter can still provide 50A from solar panels or batteries. The maximum power would be 62.5A + 50A = 112,5A.
1667430243983.png
This seems like an advantage for GSL over Sol-Ark when AC coupling existing inverters.

Last edited:
Back