diy solar

diy solar

New member here

Navig8tor

Hello everybody!

My name is Bruno and I live in Portugal.

I just discovered the forum from Will Prowse's Youtube channel.

I want to install a solar system and I'm studying what kind of system will be the right for me, so hope to exchange some ideas to help me build it...

LOL
Are you kidding? That would be a reason for me to maintain a relationship, not breaking up... :)
We do like to eat, but most of us go on an healthy diet (most of the time at least)

hi everyone
my name is cuncun wijaya, from Indonesia.
im interested to install 5k 48V offgrid solar system for my home.

and im just trying to studying this system.
thank you

hi everyone

thank you

Hi Cuncun.
Welcome.

I think you will find interesting and useful information in the forum.

Hello everybody!

I want to install a solar system and I'm studying what kind of system will be the right for me, so hope to exchange some ideas to help me build it...
Hi Bruno. Welcome!
Lots of sun in Portugal - we were in the Algarve last March hiking and only had 1 day of rain all month. And if that doesn't work out, there's always the wind.

Hello everybody!

Hi,
I'm in San jose, Ca, Usa , just finised my 48v Off Grid system,
Here is my setup :
- 375w REC solar panel x 9 ( Total 3375 w )
- Midnite Classic 150 Charge controller
- Meritsun 48v/200AH Lifepo4 battery Powerwall ( Total 10Kwh )
- 48v/7000w/120v ac Reliable Inverter
It's been running very nice, power a whole home all day and night

hi everyone

thank you

Hi,
Here is my setup :

Hi Bruno. Welcome!
Lots of sun in Portugal - we were in the Algarve last March hiking and only had 1 day of rain all month. And if that doesn't work out, there's always the wind.

That's right, I believe we have around 300 sunny days per year, and also on the coastal line and on the hills we have lots of wind.
Anyway, sun is more assiduous...

Hi,
Here is my setup :

You know what? That's more or less in the range I was thinking for my own setup.
I think wheather conditions in California are not much different from portuguese coast's. Any chance you will document your system's assembly?

Here are some pix, check it out

Attachments

• 48v-200Ah Lifepio4 battery pack.jpg
    48v-200Ah Lifepio4 battery pack.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 48v-7000w inverter.jpg
    48v-7000w inverter.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Battery Pack closed up.jpg
    Battery Pack closed up.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 12
  • Charge controller closed up.jpg
    Charge controller closed up.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Midnite CC.jpg
    Midnite CC.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 12
  • wiring-breaker-switches.jpg
    wiring-breaker-switches.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 13
Hi,
Here is my setup :
Thx for sharing your setup.

Hello everybody!
Welcome to the forum, a very helpful place.

Have you figured out your sizing yet ?
How many watts per day your using / needing.
How many days of storage you want before needing external generation / charging.
Do you want to be grid connected so you can feed back to grid or do you want to be stand-alone off grid ?
* I don't know if you have feed in tariff arrangements in your country.
Do you want to start with a smaller system which you can grow over time OR do you want to go in 100% to build the biggest system you can for your budget ?
Have you planned for a budget (hard to do unless you know what you need and then what you want) as yet ? (we don't need to know the $ amounts)
Appreciate that the main cost of the system (panels/solar charger/inverter) is 1/3 of the budget, Batteries another 1/3 to 1/2 and the rest is balance of system (wire, breakers, fuses & switches etc).

The above questions, will help determine what equipment is suitable and will help towards sizing & configuration information. Keep in mind that we are a Global Community with people from everywhere, as a result there are different standards & requirements and of course variations on what equipment is available to which region / country. This can be a little confusing at times but with patience (lots of patience) and careful thinking & planning it can all be accomplished.

I hope that helps,
Good Luck
Steve

EDIT: PS, we have some members here from Portugal, some may jump in with some tips & tricks for your region.

Welcome to the forum, a very helpful place.

Have you figured out your sizing yet ?
How many watts per day your using / needing.
How many days of storage you want before needing external generation / charging.
Do you want to be grid connected so you can feed back to grid or do you want to be stand-alone off grid ?
* I don't know if you have feed in tariff arrangements in your country.
Do you want to start with a smaller system which you can grow over time OR do you want to go in 100% to build the biggest system you can for your budget ?
Have you planned for a budget (hard to do unless you know what you need and then what you want) as yet ? (we don't need to know the $ amounts)
Appreciate that the main cost of the system (panels/solar charger/inverter) is 1/3 of the budget, Batteries another 1/3 to 1/2 and the rest is balance of system (wire, breakers, fuses & switches etc).

The above questions, will help determine what equipment is suitable and will help towards sizing & configuration information. Keep in mind that we are a Global Community with people from everywhere, as a result there are different standards & requirements and of course variations on what equipment is available to which region / country. This can be a little confusing at times but with patience (lots of patience) and careful thinking & planning it can all be accomplished.

I hope that helps,
Good Luck
Steve

EDIT: PS, we have some members here from Portugal, some may jump in with some tips & tricks for your region.

I actually have a general ideia of what I need (and will be able to afford).
Should I open a new topic elsewhere? Maybe in the "Residential Solar"...

Back