diy solar

diy solar

New Member Intro

Boy Named Sue

Just wanted to introduce myself. Been reading for a while now and have several questions which I hope I can glean so helpful knowledge from more experienced/ knowledgeable people.

Most of my working life has been in manufacturing. Starting in the oil field industry as a tool & die maker/designer finishing as a design engineer tech helping design RF & microwave connectors and cable assemblies. I have designed and built tooling for 200-ton multistage stamping presses to helping design microwave connectors so small magnification is needed for basic assemble.

Now with our parents getting older and needing more help, I quit my job, my wife closed her business and we moved back home. We are in the process building our home and at first, we were going us a grid tied PV system but after reviewing the interconnect agreement (net metering limits and $500,000 liability insurance needed for life) and unstable grid (home growth has outpaced infrastructure) during bad weather we decided to go off grid. This is the challenge and where I need some advice/help. More on that later.

Howdy do to you Sue,
I won't be much help but maybe I will make you laugh:)

Folks are going to want to know where you are, Latitude is what their fishin for, or not.
You are expected to complete one of those excel pages that shows how much energy you need. Doesn't matter if the house isn't built, the theys still expect you to bring that paperwork/cyberwork with you whenever you say "I'm trying to...".
Don't feed the trolls. Not many here :)
Learn the basics and Don't do what I do. It never works and I have no idea "WyNot".

Reactions: Dzl
Hello from Australia.
And its Hello from me Kel in the Midwest W.Au. (the locked in) I will follow along here for a bit if thats ok.
I have a 5kw SMA and 21 Rec panels for ten years now and running sweet, just come off the big feed in tariff so Im sad or angry it depends!
Looking to upgrade later with a new 3 phase 5-6kw inverter and 10 +or- kwh battery, but what to choose and from where?

Hello,

I'm new and trying to get my head wrapped around something. I have the Renogy 400w starter kit, Renogy 2000w inverter and 12v lithium battery. When I hook this all together, should the panels be parallel or in series? I see it done both on YouTube and can't understand which is best. Any advice would be appreciated.

Matt

Hello,

I'm new and trying to get my head wrapped around something. I have the Renogy 400w starter kit, Renogy 2000w inverter and 12v lithium battery. When I hook this all together, should the panels be parallel or in series? I see it done both on YouTube and can't understand which is best. Any advice would be appreciated.

Matt
This is a quick, generic answer hopefully it helps. Parallel vs Series wiring is determined by comparing the output voltage and current of the panels with the input voltage and current limits of the Inverter/Charger. If you connect 2 panels in series the voltage doubles while current stays the same as the datasheet specifications. If you connect 2 panels in parallel the voltage stays the same and current doubles.
Lastly, the Open Circuit voltage of a solar panel increases as the temperature goes down. Usually about -0.3% per degree C. The Voc value given in the datasheet is taken at 25 deg. C. Your maximum expected panel voltage has to be calculated then multiplied by the number of panels connected in series to be sure the Voc at the lowest temp expected for your area does not exceed the Maximum Voltage limit of the Inverter. Likewise if panels are connected in parallel, you have to multiply the current by the number of panels to make sure the maximum current limit of the inverter is not exceed. In most cases its better to use Series connections (up to the limit) to reduce the number of parallel strings.

Thank you. I know I have lots to learn about solar. I am looking forward for this winter season to end so I can get up to camp and get this system set up. I am thankful for finding this site. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions.
Thanks again

Thank you. I know I have lots to learn about solar. I am looking forward for this winter season to end so I can get up to camp and get this system set up. I am thankful for finding this site. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions.
Thanks again
Feel free to ask questions and If you need a more detailed answer you can send me a private message.

Back