diy solar

diy solar

New member report on my DIY system

Orezok

Twenty months ago I installed my solar. Ground mount with 15 LG350 panels, Enphase microinverters and Combiner 3. In the last 9 months I added 6 LG380 panels as I dumped my propane water heater and have installed a quad Minisplit to eliminate propane. Where I live in the Mojave desert propane cost is ridiculous as there are only 2 suppliers and they know they have a monopoly. No one will deliver from outside the area. It’s probably a good thing as it looks like propane will be going through the roof due to global problems. As a retired General contractor I did the entire install myself at a cost of about $15,500 for materials, no labor cost. After 26% rebate that’s $11,500! It looks like about a 4 year payback based on prior years electric costs.

I don’t know yet how the propane/electric cots will work out until next year. Last year my total cost for power was $165 for the year plus about $12 a month for SCE connection costs. That as before WH and Minisplit adds but before addition of 6 new panels.

My system I now 7530W and today at 11:45 it produced 6975W or 92.6% efficient and the best part is that my highest production months are we still to come in May and November. Daily production is running about 46kW.

WOO HOO!

Wow! I like it. I like it a lot. How are those panel racks mounted into the dirt? Looks like a square concrete block? If so, how deep did you have to go?

Wow! I like it. I like it a lot. How are those panel racks mounted into the dirt? Looks like a square concrete block? If so, how deep did you have to go?
The approved plans called for 24”dia drilled piers 48”deep, but no one near here in the desert could do that. SO, footings we’re hand dug 18” x 30” and 48”deep. Top was formed at 18 x 24 for a cleaner finish. I happen to be in a 120 MPH wind zone therefore the substantial footings.

Back