diy solar

diy solar

New member with an inverter question

vamil93

Hello, great site with a lot of useful info. I have a question re. an inverter I can get for free, but didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't of practical use.

It is an Outback FX series inverter, 24V DC input, 230V 60Hz 3000W output. My concern is the 230V output. I am not sure how useful this would be for an off grid system that would be used to power 110v loads. I can get a step down transformer, but that would be somewhat costly. Should I bother with this unit, given it is free? Thanks in advance for your help!

Seems like there was a thread on this topic before -- I'm recalling how they gained neutral --Check David Poz on youtube

Hello, great site with a lot of useful info. I have a question re. an inverter I can get for free, but didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't of practical use.

It is an Outback FX series inverter, 24V DC input, 230V 60Hz 3000W output. My concern is the 230V output. I am not sure how useful this would be for an off grid system that would be used to power 110v loads. I can get a step down transformer, but that would be somewhat costly. Should I bother with this unit, given it is free? Thanks in advance for your help!
Its pretty unusual to have a single phase 230VAC@60hz.
Are you sure this isn't 50hz or possibly 120/240VAC@60hz?

Yeah, the version I have is the "W" (60Hz). It says the same thing but the selectable range is fairly small.
If the frequency can be set to 50hz then its useful for other parts of the world.

Back