diy solar

diy solar

'New' MPP PIP2724, any users?

Compared to the LV2424
Slightly larger AC inverter at 2.7KW
MUCH SMALLER PV charger at 600W instead of 2000W.
Looks specific for small RV use.

I have been looking at it to use for a UPS system. For everything it does the price seems reasonable. It even comes with battery cables. Only the AC plug needs to be wired into it for the grid. But then there is no hard wiring with this unit for the AC output. But it is the only MPP Solar I am aware of that has AVR circuitry.

Did any of you end up getting the 2724LV-MR? I'm thinking about getting it and am interested in how well it's been working for you. I'm particularly interested in the no load power, noise level, and generally how reliable it's been.

If youre using it in a van - save yourself the grief and go 12V
No, it's not for a van. It's for use with batteries and solar for power outages (in an area w/wildfire related outages). I see from your signature that you have an LV2424. Aside from issues working w/the van's 12V, has it been working well?

Yes it works well - I've only used the inverter 2 times and charging from 110 v once. Soon as the suns gone its dead silent until the sun comes up.
May I ask where you purchased yours? I'm on a waiting list for one vendor but would like to get my hands on one of these.

May I ask where you purchased yours? I'm on a waiting list for one vendor but would like to get my hands on one of these.
If you are in the USA you can buy from Ian and you will get really good support. He is located in Utah.

Or you can but from MPP Solars website on Alibaba. The item will cost less but you will not get the support you will get from Ian.

I just purchased one of these and was wondering if anyone knew what the Max battery bank size would work for this?

I just purchased one of these and was wondering if anyone knew what the Max battery bank size would work for this?

As long as your batteries are configured in a 24v array, they could be as large as you want, I suppose. If you bought two 12-volt, 280ah batteries and connected them in parallel, you'd have 6.7kwh of power, minus inverter losses...call it an even 6kwh, or a little less if you're not charging or discharging 100%.

What size battery bank do you have in mind?

Thanks for the reply. I am really new to solar so I am not sure how big I should size the battery. I know the scc in the unit is rated for 25a and there is a 600w max solar input, so I am trying to make sure that the system can fully charge the batteries during the day. I would imagine if I went too large, it couldn't charge back up in a reasonable time.

I'm thinking maybe 200ah max but as I said I just don't know.

I wonder if it is better to get 2 24v batteries in parallel or 2 12v in series? I know they say paralell for batteries in not than good but using only 2 I understand is not a problem.

If youre using it in a van - save yourself the grief and go 12V
just wondering what grief you are referring to? I want either this unit or the Growatt 24v spf 3000. It is for a small RV but I want the potential for short bursts of almost 3kw AC output

I'm also wondering what type of grief he is talking about. I'm new to all of this but my understanding is 24v is far better than 12v for more power with less heavy wire costs. Will did a good video on the benefits of 24v over 12v and anyone wondering about it should review his video on it.

I can't find an all in one that will put out 3kw AC that is 12 volt..so the Growatt and Mpp are the leading candidates. And you are correct regarding wiring. since watts divided by power equals amps ( and amps are what require the heavier wire), 24 volt systems can be cheaper and safer. Perhaps he is mentioning the hassle of needing a step-down transformer to power the old style 12 volt lights and fan that are probably in a van.

I've purchased one for my van. Will be later in the Fall until I get it running most likely. Will report back.

just wondering what grief you are referring to? I want either this unit or the Growatt 24v spf 3000. It is for a small RV but I want the potential for short bursts of almost 3kw AC output UPDATE - aug 27 I have received mine but won't have batteries till next week..will set up a system in the back yard and report back.

I finally got my 2 x 12v SOK batteries and will be setting up the PIP 2724LV, with the Victron smart shunt ..I am just being kinda slow and careful - don't wanna blow anything up. This is for a van with 425 single solar panel.

Back