diy solar

diy solar

New Multiplus install issues

Hillbillybuddha

Just installed a multiplus 12/3000/30. I have not programmed the system yet.

Hooked up the battery (12v 400amp LiFePo4) Pos terminal > Class T fuse > Contactor > Manual On/Off Switch > Lynx Distributor Bus Bar > 400amp Class T fuse > Multiplus. (I'm planning on adding an On/Off Switch between the Multiplus and the Lynx but I haven't done so yet) I'm also planning on adding Solar, and a CCGX but that'll be next week.

Neg Terminal > BMV-712 Shunt > Lynx Distributor > Multiplus

Shorepower 30a > Main Breaker dual bar 30a (ELCI and Reverse Polarity protection) > Multiplus > 3 GCFI outlets.

Once again, I have not programmed the Multiplus yet. I think I need to get the MK3 Ve.bus to USB.

When I turn on the Multiplus it trips the "main breaker" and switches to inverter mode. Inverter mode works fine.

My immediate issue is, I need to charge my batteries. I don't want to drain new batteries without charging them. I was hoping that the Multiplus would charge from shorepower but it flips the main breaker after a few seconds. So I'd need to figure that out as well.

I can't really go without power until I get the MK3 (3 days according to Amazon). I have a AC to DC charger that is made for LiFePo4 batteries. I was thinking of connecting it to the Lynx Distributor and running an extention cord from the dock (I'm on a boat) to charge the battery. I have a REC BMS.

A) do you think the AC to DC charger will work

B) do you think the problem with the main breaker flipping has to do with programming?

A) do you think the AC to DC charger will work
I don't see why not.

B) do you think the problem with the main breaker flipping has to do with programming?
I don't think so. The default setting should not pop the breaker.

If I had to guess... it has something to do with the ELCI seeing either a ground current or an unbalanced hot-neutral current.

1) Are you sure you have line and neutral hooked up correctly from shore...through the ELCI, inverter and GFI plugs?
2) Does the ELCI pop if the inverter is not hooked up?
3) Does the ELCI pop if the Charger (and not the inverter) is hooked up through it?
4) Do you have a Neutral-Ground bond anywhere on the boat (other than the automatic one inside the breaker?

I don't see why not.

I don't think so. The default setting should not pop the breaker.

If I had to guess... it has something to do with the ELCI seeing either a ground current or an unbalanced hot-neutral current.

1) Are you sure you have line and neutral hooked up correctly from shore...through the ELCI, inverter and GFI plugs?
3) Does the ELCI pop if the Charger (and not the inverter) is hooked up through it?
4) Do you have a Neutral-Ground bond anywhere on the boat (other than the automatic one inside the breaker?

Yes, I've been using the AC power exclusively for the last month and I haven't had an issue with it.

How do I not hook up the inverter? It didn't pop before the multiplus was hooked up. When I first installed the AC power, the Reverse Polarity pole would pop. I figured out the problem was dockside, and the harbor master fixed the problem. I haven't had the ELCI pop yet.

I'm not sure how to check because a few moments after I turn on the Multiplus, the Main Breaker pops.

4) Do you have a Neutral-Ground bond anywhere on the boat (other than the automatic one inside the breaker? No. Not on the AC side of the system, on the DC side, everything is connected to the engine.

Yes, I've been using the AC power exclusively for the last month and I haven't had an issue with it.
What was hooked up while you were using the AC? Was it like this:

Shorepower 30a > Main Breaker dual-bar 30a (ELCI and Reverse Polarity protection) > 3 GCFI outlets.

If not, try that and let us know.

Can the multiplies be connected just to shore power, no battery, no PV?

I wonder if the inrush of the unit is just too much for the 30a breaker due to low voltage, can you read the shore power source voltage when trying to power it up?

So I’m curious in the few moments the unit is on before the brk trips of the unit is trying to charge the battery and just trying to draw more than 30a, eventually it thermally trips the bkr.

I do see the unit has capability of transfer switch of 50a.

I have a Multiplus 3000-24-70 that I plug into a 20A GFCI circuit. I obviously can't run 30 amps through it, but I have run 2000W through it without it ever tripping the breaker.

The OP's Multiplus could be bad, but as I said earlier, I am guessing the ELCI breaker is getting upset with something like a ground current caused by something in how it is all wired.....

What was hooked up while you were using the AC? Was it like this:

Shorepower 30a > Main Breaker dual-bar 30a (ELCI and Reverse Polarity protection) > 3 GCFI outlets.

If not, try that and let us know.
That's exactly how I had it before.. but, I'm embarrassed to admit, but I figured out the problem and I got it sorted. The AC out is Hot, Neutral, Ground, Hot, Ground. I somehow missed the Ground connection and had it inserted into the second Hot.
Doesn't seem to have caused and issues.

That's exactly how I had it before.. but, I'm embarrassed to admit, but I figured out the problem and I got it sorted. The AC out is Hot, Neutral, Ground, Hot, Ground. I somehow missed the Ground connection and had it inserted into the second Hot.
Doesn't seem to have caused and issues.
I goofed up even worse. And I'm am electrical engineer. Mostly DC. When hooking up the batteries I had read the manual a few times but didn't have it readily available. And the mounting config wouldn't allow me to see the color coded portion of the conductor. Blew a 400 amp T-fuse. $80 later hooked all up properly and it all worked. Tech at supplier didn't know if DC side was protected. But knew it had protection against N & H swap at the AC inputs

Back