diy solar

diy solar

New off-grid family

adrian2pt0

Hi everyone. I just discovered this forum and now I feel like I may have done things a little backwards. We started purchasing components already just based off of studying YouTube videos and various websites, as well as reading literature in the support sections of energy company websites. February 1st my wife and I are moving to some property that we recently purchased. There are no utilities available and so we will be running on solar with an LP generator to back up the system. I don’t want to say that money isn’t an object because it is, but we are OK with spending what needs to be spent upfront in order to build a good solar system that’s going to last us many years and be our primary source of energy for a small to medium sized cabin. I’m going to be reading through this forum this weekend, and look forward to learning what we need to know before we start putting all of the pieces together.

First step is doing a comprehensive energy audit. You must know what your power needs will be before buying anything. Failure to do a proper energy audit is the best/fastest way to waste money and time. One month is not a lot of time. You should consider hiring an expert. They will add to your up front cost, but will greatly reduce the chance of getting things substantially wrong and having to rebuild your system. Just my $0.02.

Back