diy solar

diy solar

New Orleans weather satellite shows city lights on like normal?

epoch_time

Can anyone explain to me why weather.gov is showing new orleans lite up at night like all is normal?
My internet research shows noaa uses ir imaging. But a city that size under normal conditions should be using about 1 gigiwatt of energy per hour.
Certanily a city using 1GWH will contribute lots of ir heat signature. But since the huricane I've seen absolutely no differience on the weather satellite image showing fully lite IR city. Sorry for the off topic. I will post more about my mpp lv5048, pannels, off grid connections, etc. in the future.

What is the source of no_2jpg? Your pic'2 IS what I'de expect to see. And both your pic's appear to be IR images. But the second picture in not what is being displayed (on near realtime weather satellites) shown on the weather.gov or roku screensaver. Both weather.gov and roku screen saver images are time stamped in UTC and only 15 minutes behind realtime. Your pic2 is apparently from fake media? I have provided sources all can check themselves and explain it to me PLEASE! The roku screen saver runs about 12 hour movie loop. The weather.gov shows only realtime snapshot time stamped in utc. I haven't found the 12 hour loop function at weather.gov I'm sure it's some where. So my checks at weather.gov are viewed only when it's dark in New Orleans. Every night since the huricane I check and have never seen your pic no_2.jpg WHY.

What is the source of no_2jpg? Your pic'2 IS what I'de expect to see. And both your pic's appear to be IR images. But the second picture in not what is being displayed (on near realtime weather satellites) shown on the weather.gov or roku screensaver. Both weather.gov and roku screen saver images are time stamped in UTC and only 15 minutes behind realtime. Your pic2 is apparently from fake media? I have provided sources all can check themselves and explain it to me PLEASE! The roku screen saver runs about 12 hour movie loop. The weather.gov shows only realtime snapshot time stamped in utc. I haven't found the 12 hour loop function at weather.gov I'm sure it's some where. So my checks at weather.gov are viewed only when it's dark in New Orleans. Every night since the huricane I check and have never seen your pic no_2.jpg WHY.
You actually didn't provide any sources. I use weather.gov often for marine forecasts and am familiar with that site. I can't find any IR satellite images of New Orleans there. Do you have a link? Perhaps it was weather radar?

Nothing about the pictures above suggests "fake" media.

Keep in mind that weather satellites do NOT provide a live view of the ground at night. They us IR to sense clouds, and overlay that on top of a pre-existing ground view.

The daytime images should be live visuals, though.

You actually didn't provide any sources. I use weather.gov often for marine forecasts and am familiar with that site. I can't find any IR satellite images of New Orleans there. Do you have a link? Perhaps it was weather radar?

Nothing about the pictures above suggests "fake" media.
Here is link https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector.php?sat=G16&sector=smv
then click upper left box labeled GeoColor daytime/IR Multspectrum = night.
Sorry I didn't use link on orignal post.

Keep in mind that weather satellites do NOT provide a live view of the ground at night. They us IR to sense clouds, and overlay that on top of a pre-existing ground view.
Yes. Maybe this!
Sometimes Australian inland bushfires that may burn for months and cover large areas get aggregated into a single image and show all the area burnt as being on fire at that instant.

edit: Composite Imaging is the term.

Last edited:

The daytime images should be live visuals, though.
This.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say the daytime stuff is live either, unless you know something I don't. I've always gathered that they use their various non-human visual spectrum sensor technology to put together the data and then just plop it on top of the map. So the daytime stuff isn't real ground footage either.

For the most part public imagery like that is only updated every year or so.

Sometimes less. Sometimes more.

Whatever public database Google uses for example took a solid 3 years to update for my area and I'm just south of a major city.

recent movie loop from weather.gov
ok night view is realtime clouds only? daytime views are realtime showing fires
Are they real time showing fires or are they just registering the fires as elevated temps and clouds and displaying it as such?

That loop looks to me like they're just fading between night and day stills on a gradient.

Are they real time showing fires or are they just registering the fires as elevated temps and clouds and displaying it as such?

That loop looks to me like they're just fading between night and day stills on a gradient.
smoke from daytime fires is realtime 5 to 10 minutes later. Seems like once I could see flames a year ago.

I was in Typhoon Paca with winds in excess of 200 MPH in Guam and grid power was taken out for a few days. After the first night, most businesses and houses got power with their own generator. So, even though it was a federal disaster zone and had no power, the lights were mostly on.

The Street lights and traffic lights did not work during this time, but you could go downtown and grab a good bite to eat.

I would not be surprised if their were enough generators in the area to keep it from looking like North Korea at night.

check out idaho fires in loop just before dark in this link . hope this link works

I was in Typhoon Paca with winds in excess of 200 MPH in Guam and grid power was taken out for a few days. After the first night, most businesses and houses got power with their own generator. So, even though it was a federal disaster zone and had no power, the lights were mostly on.

The Street lights and traffic lights did not work during this time, but you could go downtown and grab a good bite to eat.

I would not be surprised if their were enough generators in the area to keep it from looking like North Korea at night.
This is what I am afraid in the EU.
Here almost nobody has a generator. Blackouts are so rare and short, noone buys it.
In my neighbourhood (and town) I do not know anybody else who has a generator or an off-grid system.
If a longer blackout would hit EU ... that would hit hard.

If a longer blackout would hit EU ... that would hit hard.
I live in AZ now, and I don’t think I’ve seen power flicker in the 10 years I’ve lived here. Losing power right now does not seem like a threat, but I’m not sure that will last. In this state, as we move to green energy and shut down coal burning plants, not as many carbon neutral production is added to replace what we lost, never mind the added capacity for 25%. Population growth in the same time.

If in the EU, you’re adding production to replace older less clean energy and keeping up with population growth, may not be that bad.

N
, google updates in march once a year most of the time, on google earth pro (download software) they have
NASA used to have (twice?) daily real-time resolution images. I used to use that to study potential fishing lakes like for ice-out and whether there were boat trailers in the lots. At some point that went away for security reasons.

I live in AZ now, and I don’t think I’ve seen power flicker in the 10 years I’ve lived here. Losing power right now does not seem like a threat, but I’m not sure that will last. In this state, as we move to green energy and shut down coal burning plants, not as many carbon neutral production is added to replace what we lost, never mind the added capacity for 25%. Population growth in the same time.

If in the EU, you’re adding production to replace older less clean energy and keeping up with population growth, may not be that bad.
I just wrote from an almost complete EU collapse

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/u-s-solar-market-eclipses-100-gigawatts.25013/post-328950

Back