diy solar

diy solar

New RD6024 power supply?

Just John

Solar Wizard
I just ordered one with the free shipping.
Has anyone else ordered (or better yet received) one?
It would be interesting to test it at the full power output claimed (950 watts is their recommended limit).

The most interesting thing would be performance at 58.4v (3.65v x 16) and 950 watts power limit (approximately 16 amps at that voltage).

Power Supply

Cable Set

I doubt I'll use the cable set, but it would be interesting to test.

Please let us know how it performs. I just ordered a Mean Well 48v 10A battery charger to top up my LFP battery bank when PV is low. Cost me $250 shipped. Okay , not quite the same thing but looks like you got a good buy.

I had asked about the RD6024, but they didn't have a release date at the time. I ordered the 6018W from the same store on AliExpress. It should be here in the next week or two. Customer service has been great, but I mostly dealt with Glen from their Alibaba store. He kept me up to date with coupons that AliExpress offered. The 6024 was released 3 days ago I think. To use the full capability you would need a 1500 watt power supply. It sounds like they haven't found a stable one to offer, so they suggest the 1000w, which will be fine in most cases. I would think the power supply would be the limiting factor if trying to charge the 16 cells together. I intend to try with the 6018 to some extent. The power supply can't max out either Riden unit, but I'm not sure how that all works together yet. My use will be top balancing and back up charging if all else fails.
For anybody that doesn't have experience with these and are starting from scratch(like me) make sure you get the complete setup. Riden unit, case and power supply. You'll still need an AC cable like what you plug a desktop computer in with. Also make sure you aren't getting the 800watt psu, if you want the 1000 watt. This is more of an issue I've read about when people order the 6018.

I had asked about the RD6024, but they didn't have a release date at the time. I ordered the 6018W from the same store on AliExpress. It should be here in the next week or two. Customer service has been great, but I mostly dealt with Glen from their Alibaba store. He kept me up to date with coupons that AliExpress offered. The 6024 was released 3 days ago I think. To use the full capability you would need a 1500 watt power supply. It sounds like they haven't found a stable one to offer, so they suggest the 1000w, which will be fine in most cases. I would think the power supply would be the limiting factor if trying to charge the 16 cells together. I intend to try with the 6018 to some extent. The power supply can't max out either Riden unit, but I'm not sure how that all works together yet. My use will be top balancing and back up charging if all else fails.
For anybody that doesn't have experience with these and are starting from scratch(like me) make sure you get the complete setup. Riden unit, case and power supply. You'll still need an AC cable like what you plug a desktop computer in with. Also make sure you aren't getting the 800watt psu, if you want the 1000 watt. This is more of an issue I've read about when people order the 6018.

The 800 watt power supply was for the RD6012. It's a decent design, but it dies if you run it at 720 watts. Jerry Walker shows how $9 in parts will make it work well at 720 watts forever. The board even has space for it, you just need to remove one and add two (steering diodes).

Parts I used:

The 800 watt power supply was for the RD6012. It's a decent design, but it dies if you run it at 720 watts. Jerry Walker shows how $9 in parts will make it work well at 720 watts forever. The board even has space for it, you just need to remove one and add two (steering diodes).

Parts I used:
The RD6018 on Amazon appears to ship with the 800 watt psu. So if somebody thinks they're playing it safe and ordering the complete unit from Amazon, they might not know what they're getting.

John,
I did, just the unit.

1. Banana plugs -
Please don't buy the junk they sell everywhere INCLUDING amazing amazon,

Hirschmann brand banana plugs are good quality, pricey but rated for 30A.

Can someone find the correct Hirschmann Banana plug on DigiKey or other electronic component sites please.

watch the above if ya need some convincing.

Power Supply:

this is my go to PS

The only thing I do to any of my meanwells is LUBE the fan yearly with TSI 321

you get a UL rated PS with fantastic support and one that is rated to 200k hours.

The meanwell 48v PS can be set to MAX Voltage = 57.8 (my unit) using the POT

1. Banana plugs -
Please don't buy the junk they sell everywhere INCLUDING amazing amazon,

Hirschmann brand banana plugs are good quality, pricey but rated for 30A.

I use spade lugs, connected to 50 amp rated Anderson Powerpole connectors.

I haven't really used or tested the banana jack connectors. I did order the ones Riden sells and will test them, but I don't have a lot of confidence in their performance.

I use a busbar with lots of the Anderson Powerpole connectors and 8 gauge wire. Makes it quite easy to hook things up for top balancing, or parallel use of electronic loads and power supplies.

I use spade lugs, connected to 50 amp rated Anderson Powerpole connectors.
John,
I use spades too with 12 awg wire or 10 awg wire, but with spades the connection/knob does not warm to hot over time, I keep my charge current around 12 amps

John,
I use spades too with 12 awg wire or 10 awg wire, but with spades the connection/knob does not warm to hot over time, I keep my charge current around 12 amps
I use 10 gauge cable, and have no problems with 18 amps. You might have a bad crimp.

I use 10 gauge cable, and have no problems with 18 amps. You might have a bad crimp.
Yeah, you are on the money, making new cables as we speak

but drum roll, the eagle has landed, not sure I like the spade terminals,

1. I did not have a CR1220 battery, so waiting on that, bought it off ebay.
2. The meanwell RSP maxed out at 56.6v, so it will be work for my needs, as I have a 14s battery, that is the one with the highest voltage. That is a Li-ion, so at 54.6v charging I get 3.9v max, that will work for me.

More pics and video later

Attachments

• riden_rd6024.jpg
    riden_rd6024.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Has anyone put their new RD6024 through the paces yet? I just got mine put together and did some basic voltage testing, but nothing to use it on at the moment. Will be working on finishing my battery pack and then I might do some real stress tests.

I purchased a ZJIVNV 60v/25A power supply to use with it. I know Riden doesn't want you to use any power supply other than theirs, but there was no way I was buying a 24A variable supply and not being able to use it fully.

Anyone else?

I received the rd 6024 but have not assembled it yet.... I bought it directly through RD Official Store via Aliexpress rd 6024w, plus s800 box, plus the 1000 watt power supply...
I had the power supply cord and I think I have the battery, but short on time at the moment.
glad to see some discussion on the new model!

Has anyone put their new RD6024 through the paces yet? I just got mine put together and did some basic voltage testing, but nothing to use it on at the moment. Will be working on finishing my battery pack and then I might do some real stress tests.

I purchased a ZJIVNV 60v/25A power supply to use with it. I know Riden doesn't want you to use any power supply other than theirs, but there was no way I was buying a 24A variable supply and not being able to use it fully.

Anyone else?

I bought the RD6024, the 1000W power supply, and the X205A cable.

I've been using it to charge up my 48v test batteries, it seems to be working well for me.
I went into the settings and set the battery cutoff voltage to 1/2 amps, and set the max power to 950w as they recommend for the power supply running on 120v.
I've used it to charge up the whole battery pack @57.6V, at ~16 amps, and charge up individual low cells to top balance. ( since they were already charged mostly through the bms, it only run about 7 amps max to charge up the individual cells. )

I just moved the cells around to be a 4s pack, and I an draining it, afterwards I will try charging at the full 14.4V@24A and see how well the cables they were advertising with it will do at high amps.

I bought the RD6024, the 1000W power supply, and the X205A cable.

I've been using it to charge up my 48v test batteries, it seems to be working well for me.
I went into the settings and set the battery cutoff voltage to 1/2 amps, and set the max power to 950w as they recommend for the power supply running on 120v.
I've used it to charge up the whole battery pack @57.6V, at ~16 amps, and charge up individual low cells to top balance. ( since they were already charged mostly through the bms, it only run about 7 amps max to charge up the individual cells. )

I just moved the cells around to be a 4s pack, and I an draining it, afterwards I will try charging at the full 14.4V@24A and see how well the cables they were advertising with it will do at high amps.
So my individual 16 cells are awful and range from 60-70ah each, and I have now put them into groups of 4, for a 4s pack. each of those 4 "Cells" is now about 260ah, and I just finished testing with my capacity tester running at about 12 amps, I got ~3.3 kwh.

I'm now charging it up to 14.4v at 24 amps, and that seems to be going well with this, but it will still be about 11 hours before the charge is done.
[ This is a placeholder to put in any additional notes I have about any issues running at 24amps for 10 hours ]
4 hour update at 24A, using the X25A cable they sell, with the alligator clips clipped to the nuts on my terminals for positive, and the BMS lead for negative: The wires, alligator clips, and binding posts are warm to the touch, but quite comfortable, definitely not "hot".
Full charge update. my power cord had an inline switch that started melting, due to spark on the A/C side, so it kept turning itself off as the plastic holding the switch together softened up. This wasn't a problem with the RD6024, but just explaining why it took so long.
Finished charging it up a few minutes ago, and it looks good.

This lives in my home office, so I'm going to shut it down for the night when I go to bed, but the RD6024 status screen shows 97 AH, which sure sounds about right.

Last edited:
I'm now charging it up to 14.4v at 24 amps, and that seems to be going well with this, but it will still be about 11 hours before the charge is done.
[ This is a placeholder to put in any additional notes I have about any issues running at 24amps for 10 hours ]

The 24 amps charge to a 12v has worked fine for me. But I use spade lugs, 10 gauge wire and the other end is a 50 amp Anderson plug. I haven't had time to test at higher voltage or using their cables. *SIGH*

Now I must go and try to help my wife arrange a funeral for her father in Russian occupied Ukraine.

Finally been putting my RD6024 through the paces, and it's been working flawlessly, at least once I learned the ins and outs of it.

Note: If you're really going to push it, invest in a 14AWG computer power cord. All I had around was 18ga ones, and they heat up pretty good with that much current running through them. You can buy the TrippLite cord off Amazon for under $10.

Kept blowing my outlet circuit breaker due to other things being on the same circuit, but was able to test full 24A @ 58.4v charging for short periods of time. Been charging @20A for several hours now - cycling the pack a few times just to be sure.

Edit: P.S. I saw in another thread that fork connectors were needed for the RD6018 or previous versions. The RD6024 has knobs that come off the output terminals, so you can use ring connectors. I've got some nice flexible 10awg wire and ring terminals on both ends of my output cables.

Last edited:
Edit: P.S. I saw in another thread that fork connectors were needed for the RD6018 or previous versions. The RD6024 has knobs that come off the output terminals, so you can use ring connectors. I've got some nice flexible 10awg wire and ring terminals on both ends of my output cables.

You are correct, that is a nice change from the previous versions.

Hello, first post. Bumping a thread. I just recently ordered a RD6024, no box or power supply. It is enroute from China and I am supposed to get it in a couple weeks. So I need to get a power supply, been looking at the above mentioned ZJIVNV 1500w power supply, seems decent. It is on Amazon right now for $135, link below. The two obvious choices seem to be what they claim to be the 60v/25a and the 72v/20a, yeah their math for watts is not spot on. Both types claim to be adjustable +/- up to 15% on the volts. Which way would you go, I'm leaning to the 72v and adjust it down a bit....I assume the Watts would remain constant and the potential amps would go up a bit, turning it down to say 68v.

https://www.amazon.com/ZJIVNV-Switc...b5c-b39e-a8276ef242df&pd_rd_i=B0BC9J1NX1&th=1

Now for the interesting part, I plan on putting the RD6024 in a little box that can accept two different power sources. One from the above ZJIVNV or some other 1500w source and also a 12.6v 25a XT60 connection on my 2kw portable power station. The reason for this is simple, most of the time I will use the RD6024 will be for low amp purposes and no need for a 1500w supply, 315w is plenty for most bench work and such and providing a nice quiet power source for my radio if I need it. So I already bought this buck boost to bump up the XT60 connection to 60v or so for low amp stuff. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Maybe a nice 48v battery source in the future someday for the XT60 connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NM52VV5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DC-DC Converter Module Boost DC Step Up Voltage Regulator CV Stabilizer Power Supply Module 10-60V to 12-97V 1500W 30A

Last edited:
Hello, first post. Bumping a thread. I just recently ordered a RD6024, no box or power supply. It is enroute from China and I am supposed to get it in a couple weeks. So I need to get a power supply, been looking at the above mentioned ZJIVNV 1500w power supply, seems decent. It is on Amazon right now for $135, link below. The two obvious choices seem to be what they claim to be the 60v/25a and the 72v/20a, yeah their math for watts is not spot on. Both types claim to be adjustable +/- up to 15% on the volts. Which way would you go, I'm leaning to the 72v and adjust it down a bit....I assume the Watts would remain constant and the potential amps would go up a bit, turning it down to say 68v.

https://www.amazon.com/ZJIVNV-Switc...b5c-b39e-a8276ef242df&pd_rd_i=B0BC9J1NX1&th=1

Now for the interesting part, I plan on putting the RD6024 in a little box that can accept two different power sources. One from the above ZJIVNV or some other 1500w source and also a 12.6v 25a XT60 connection on my 2kw portable power station. The reason for this is simple, most of the time I will use the RD6024 will be for low amp purposes and no need for a 1500w supply, 315w is plenty for most bench work and such and providing a nice quiet power source for my radio if I need it. So I already bought this buck boost to bump up the XT60 connection to 60v or so for low amp stuff. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Maybe a nice 48v battery source in the future someday for the XT60 connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NM52VV5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DC-DC Converter Module Boost DC Step Up Voltage Regulator CV Stabilizer Power Supply Module 10-60V to 12-97V 1500W 30A
it seems that the 1500-watt ones are not compatible....
you may want to buy the 1000-watt one that rd tech recommends instead.
you can get the 60 volts or the 24 amps but not both at the same time.
the higher-watt AC to DC power supply will not be compatible....
rd tech the manufacture of Riden 6024 has youtube videos....
beware of incompatibilities
also you will want to get a 14 AWG power cord if you don't want to melt the power cord.
the power cord will get hot and a typical 18 AWG cord is insufficient,,,,so get a thicker heavier power cord also!!! plan on it
I have the Riden 6024 and was researching getting the larger power supply....
I think Riden has a 1200-watt one that is also compatible....
I also have the Riden 6018 and the rRden 6012 also ,,,, I have assembled all 3 and used all 3...
the Riden 6024 is the cats meow!

Last edited:
it seems that the 1500-watt ones are not compatible....
you may want to buy the 1000-watt one that rd tech recommends instead.
you can get the 60 volts or the 24 amps but not both at the same time.
the higher-watt AC to DC power supply will not be compatible....
rd tech the manufacture of Riden 6024 has youtube videos....
beware of incompatibilities
also you will want to get a 14 AWG power cord if you don't want to melt the power cord.
the power cord will get hot and a typical 18 AWG cord is insufficient,,,,so get a thicker heavier power cord also!!! plan on it
I have the Riden 6024 and was researching getting the larger power supply....
I think Riden has a 1200-watt one that is also compatible....
I also have the Riden 6018 and the rRden 6012 also ,,,, I have assembled all 3 and used all 3...
the Riden 6024 is the cats meow!

How can a 1500 watt supply be incompatible, if it meets their spec of less than 70v input. I know a peak voltage spike will fry it from using a cheap power supply. Just use their little equation to limit max output. Of course they recommend their supply, also their 1200w will only give me 1000w using USA 110 voltage. Seems like a shame to have something rated at 1440W output and only feed it 1000W.

Do you have a link to these youtube videos. I saw other posts on another website somewhere, using various types of 1400-1500w supplies, with pics and everything.

Back