diy solar

diy solar

New Renogy inverter causing BMS reset on New SOK 206ah batteries when powered on.

boondocker78

Help! I have a strange issue happening with my new Renogy inverters and my new SOK 206ah (w/heat & BT) batteries. Appologies for the long post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Initial test with new batteries.
  • Brand New SOK battery #1 – Charged fully to BMS cutoff with NOCO 10 charger
  • Brand New Renogy 1000w inverter
  • Connected negative cable to battery and inverter
  • Pre-charged inverter capacitors w/ 25w 30ohm resistor with positive cable connected to inverter and resistor inline between positive battery cable eyelet and positive battery terminal.
  • Checked capacitor voltage at inverter lugs with voltmeter reading ~13.7v
  • Connected positive battery cable to inverter lugs, measured voltage at battery and inverter lugs both same ~13.7v
  • Turned on the inverter with the power switch
  • Plugged in 750w of work lights, battery discharging at a rate of approx. 70 amps. Fully discharge in approx. 3 hours (I did not time it). Discharged all the way to low voltage shut off.

Now comes in the interesting part:

I did the exact same procedure as above with Brand new SOK 206ah battery #2 which was fully charged to BMS cutoff with a totally different result explained below.

• Fans and battery light come on for approx. 1 sec then beep and the battery BMS gets reset.
  • Test the voltage at the inverter and the battery, reads between 4 to 6 volts.
  • Remove positive / negative cables from battery terminals
  • Use NOCO 10 charger to reset battery BMS.
  • Reconnect negative battery cable to battery
  • Start the same process over again with same result.
  • Tried this half a dozen times

At that point I was thinking Battery #2 was fubar, so I charged battery #1 back to bms cutoff to try it again.

Went through the exact same setup process again but with Battery #1 that had previously worked fine. Same result as above where it trips the battery BMS every time you flip the power switch on the inverter.

Ok. So now I think the inverter is at fault. I return the inverter and buy a another of the exact same model. It arrives a couple days later; I pull it out of the box set everything up same as above with Battery #1. Same result, battery BMS gets instantly tripped with inverter power flipped on.

I re-test this half a dozen times with both batteries. I also test it with a cheapo LFP 20ah battery I have, and it also trips the bms on it where I had to wake it up again just like my SOK batteries.

Now then, I think it must be these crappy inverters. So, I return the inverter once more and order a Renogy 2000w this time, thinking maybe a different model will work, it arrives 2 days later, I unbox it, set it up on Battery #1 that is fully charged.

SAME DANG THING HAPPENS.

So I test it again with Battery #2

SAME THING…

At this point I don’t know what to think. So, I grab an old discharged lead acid battery and charge it up as best I can. Connect it to the Renogy 2000w and it works fine! WTF!

I then take a old cheapo 200-watt MSW inverter that I had laying around and connect it to SOK battery #1

IT WORKS FINE!

Now I have a GIANDEL 15OOw PSW inverter ordered that will be here on Friday. I was hoping it was a Renogy issue but I have now found two other users on this board that have the same issues with the SOK 206ah batteries cutting off when the inverter is powered on.

All that being said, if I get the GIANDEL unit in and it does the same thing, I don’t know what to think.

So, I ask the experienced members of the board to throw some wisdom my way. Maybe I am just simply missing something, but this is turning into nothing but insanity.

As suggested in other posts it may be EMI generated in the inverter feeding back into the battery BMS.

Have you tried discharging the battery slightly using a DC load before connecting to the inverter?

As suggested in other posts it may be EMI generated in the inverter feeding back into the battery BMS.

Have you tried discharging the battery slightly using a DC load before connecting to the inverter?
Thanks. I’ll give this a try and report back.

Ok folks. So my new Giandel 1500w PSW inverter was delivered today. I hooked it up tonight and it works great. with a light load, with a heavy load. It didnt care, it just plain works!

So I can now safely say that for whatever reason, all three of the brand new Renogy inverters I tested were not compatible with my new SOK 206ah batteries.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks. I’ll give this a try and report back.
I did try discharging one of my batteries down to 80% and tried connecting to the renogy inverter again. it was a no go. same result.

I did get another brand inverter and it works great.....see my last post.

Wow. I’m having exact same problem with the SOK 206Ah with heater/BT and the new Renogy 1000W inverter. I charge the battery fully using a Renogy charger. Interesting that the BT app for SOK shows the internal cells as very unbalanced. Cell 1 is 3.6V, but the other three are 3.3V. Then I tried turning on the Renogy Inverter. Got the 1second fan beep and then off. The battery output voltage collapsed. Also, the app now shows my discharge MOSFET as not on. St least I think D MOS in app as not green means that. And it shows no voltage and no current, even when I try to charge it again. I’m not sure if this can be recovered or not. SOC is at 100%. Trying to charge doesn’t fix it. In the app, the main page shows no voltage or current, and D MOS is not green. C MOS was not green also, but became green again when I was able to charge a little current some time later. But I can’t power anything from this battery. In the app under details, the cell voltages do show as 3.6, 3.3, 3.3, and get 3.3. And temperature seems to be correct. Does anyone know if the D MOS can be reset?

Two updates: 1) I found way to reset the SOK battery! Using the orange “Cal” button for the current, enter code “200010”, then enter “0” for the current. 2) I filed a ticket at Renogy for a return of the inverter. They want me to send a copy of the invoice from when I bought it. But Amazon didn’t give me an invoice. I sent them a screen shot from the Amazon app showing my purchase and all the relevant info. Then Renogy asked for me to make a video of the problem. I had already given a detailed explanation. Now I have to make a video? Seems like a bad idea for them to request this. Forcing people to make videos clearly leads to lots of bad review videos on YouTube. Like who wouldn’t post their video? If I search YouTube, I can actually see examples of this. I was going to buy some 450w solar panels from Renogy for my house, but I’m rethinking this. The point of 25 year warranty on panels is a company behind it. There seem to be a lot of people complaining about Renogy’s customer service.

This has been driving me crazy for 3 days! SOK 100ah heated with Renogy 1000. Same exact scenario. Arghhh!

Same here. 100ah heated SOK and renogy 1000w. As soon as I flip on inverter it faults out. D Mos goes grey and battery shows no current even though it’s getting fed solar and has loads. If I unplug solar feed to battery the plug it back in, it seems to reset battery and will work until… dunno I haven’t pegged down what makes it happen ‘cause sometimes it works fine. Usually after a reset it will continue functioning.

Back