diy solar

diy solar

New Renogy Rover Controller configuration question

jcgoobee

Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I just purchased a new Renogy 40 Amp Rover controller, connected to a 175 Watts single panel. The battery setting (or icon) from the controller always read 100% but from my Renogy battery monitor reads about 80% and/or flucturate during the day. Does it mean that the controller's battery reading is inaccurate and should be neglected? Not sure why there's a discrepancy.

I did put the battery setting as Lithium from the controller but not sure if I should mess it around with user defined setting. I'm using a new Weize 100 Ah LiFePO4 battery as well.

I'm a bit lost here and would appreciate someone can help me out. Thank you!

The Rover display of battery SOC is a guess based on battery voltage, regard as a very approximate value.
Page 17 of the instruction manual clearly states that battery capacity is an estimate based on voltage
The Renogy monitor, if connected correctly in the circuit and set up for your battery, should indicate SOC to a resionable accuracy.
The monitor examines current flow into and out of the battery. This allows it to calculate a more accurate SOC. The Rover controller only has the battery voltage as a measure of SOC and makes a (poor) guess.

Mike

Rover % is based purely on voltage. It's worthless. Ignore it.

Once your battery monitor has synchronized to 100% after a full charge, it should be reasonably accurate.
Thank you sir. This is helpful. :)

Last edited:
The Rover display of battery SOC is a guess based on battery voltage, regard as a very approximate value.
Page 17 of the instruction manual clearly states that battery capacity is an estimate based on voltage
The Renogy monitor, if connected correctly in the circuit and set up for your battery, should indicate SOC to a resionable accuracy.
The monitor examines current flow into and out of the battery. This allows it to calculate a more accurate SOC. The Rover controller only has the battery voltage as a measure of SOC and makes a (poor) guess.

Mike
ah.. I see. Thank you Mike for pointing this out. I thought I was a sucker when I purchsed the Rover which has good overall ratings, which the battery capacity estimate turned out to be useless. I will not look at the Rover's guesstimated value but the dedicated battery monitor going forward. Thank you for your help sir.

Big thanks to the folks who have answered my question earlier. I have a follow up question if you don't mind. Is the Rover's Lithium battery setting pretty good in profiling the characteristics in general? or it requires some tweaking? I mean, the new Weize 100 Ah battery is a pretty popular one so I pulled the trigger to get one at the same time, but should I use the user-defined option to mess around the settings, just to customize the controller to run a bit more efficiently? or there is no need for that? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Big thanks to the folks who have answered my question earlier. I have a follow up question if you don't mind. Is the Rover's Lithium battery setting pretty good in profiling the characteristics in general? or it requires some tweaking? I mean, the new Weize 100 Ah battery is a pretty popular one so I pulled the trigger to get one at the same time, but should I use the user-defined option to mess around the settings, just to customize the controller to run a bit more efficiently? or there is no need for that? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Yes you should use the USR settings. The Rover LI settings are to aggressive for Lifepo4 Batteries.
Set to USR & set:
High Voltage Disconnect 14.5v
Charge Limit Voltage14.1v
Equalization Charge Voltage 14.0v
Boost Charge Voltage 14.0v
Float Charge Volt 13.6v
Boost Char Return Volt 13.3v
Over Disc Return Volt 11.0v
Low voltage Alarm 10.9v
Over Discharge Volt 10.5v
Discharge Limit Volt 10v
Over Disc Delary Time 5s
Equalization Charge Time 0 Min
Boost Time 10 Min
Equalize Charge Interval 185 (Note this value cannot be 0 because controller will get stuck in boost mode)
Temp Comp 0A

Unplug temp sensor from the Renogy-40 amp Solar Charge Controller.

These settings should get you started. You can adjust from there.

Also I use the Renogy blue tooth module BT-1 with the blue tooth app to setup and monitor the Rover-40

Last edited:
Yes you should use the USR settings. The Rover LI settings are to aggressive for Lifepo4 Batteries.
Set to USR & set:
High voltage disc 14.5
Charge Limit 14.2
Equalization 14.1
Boost 14.1
Boost Time 10
Float 13.6
Boost Rtn 13.2
Equalization time 0
Equalize Interval 240
Over Dis Rtn 11
Low voltage 10.9
Over Discharge 10.5
Discharge Limit 10
Temp Comp 0
Unplug temp sensor from the Renogy-40

These settings should get you started. You can adjust from there.

Also I use the Renogy blue tooth module 1 with the blue tooth app to setup and monitor the Rover-40
Hello there. Thanks for the advise and settings recommendation. I went through the user settings (manual settings), I don't see most of the configuration parameters that you've shown there but will try to make sense out of them. If you don't mind me asking, what did you mean by "aggressive for LiFePO4 batteries"? You meant the default settings would overcharge the battery itself?

Hello there. Thanks for the advise and settings recommendation. I went through the user settings (manual settings), I don't see most of the configuration parameters that you've shown there but will try to make sense out of them. If you don't mind me asking, what did you mean by "aggressive for LiFePO4 batteries"? You meant the default settings would overcharge the battery itself?

Yes, the LI settings will tend to overcharge your battery. At 14.4v LiFePO4 are in a very high charge state. Above 14.6v there is risk of damage to the battery. If the Rover-40 truly stopped charging at 14.4v it may be OK, but I find the Rover-40 can be off my 0.1 or 0.2v and this is common with this solar charge controller. Also, at 14.4v you are at high risk of the BMS in your battery going into overvoltage shutdown which can cause problems.

Your BMS in your battery will (or should) shut down your battery before any damage to the cells with overvoltage or undervoltage protection, but you don't want to use this feature to run your solar system since it is a failsafe. You need to program the Rover-40 Boost Voltage to a voltage below your BMS overvoltage and you need to remove your loads before the battery BMS goes into undervoltage or make sure the battery voltage never gets that low (this can be done with an automatic transfer switch when using an inverter/grid power).

Min voltage for LiFePO4 Cells is usually 2.5v or 4x 2.5 = 10 Volts and Max voltage for LiFePO4 Cells is usually 3.65v or 4x 3.65 = 14.6 Volts

Your BMS may cut out before the Min or Max Voltage depending on how it is programmed, but you don't want to exceed the Min or Max and really keep a buffer above the min and below the max.

So, with the Rover-40 set to 14.4v and a voltage error of 0.2 you can get to 14.6 (or more) and damage your battery or your BMS will kick in to save your battery and shut things down.

The Rover-40 is not a precise SCC, but given its price point and the BT and ability to program and monitor on your phone it is a good value for entry/small solar systems. After some time (my 3rd year) I have learned to use it well. Just have to know its limitations...

I use the Renogy BT-1 Bluetooth Module that plugs in the Rover-40 Rs232 port.
www.amazon.com/Renogy-Bluetooth-Module-Communication-Controllers/dp/B0894SDTSL

With that Module I use the Renogy BT App loaded on my phone to program the settings and monitor the Rover-40 and is free.

I use the App and this is why the settings don't make much sense for programming in the Rover-40 itself.

I will try to translate what I see in the manual:
over-voltage Warning 14.5
Equalization Voltage 14.1
Boost Voltage 14.1
Float Voltage 13.6
Boost Return Voltage 13.2
Under Voltage Warning 10.9
Under Voltage Recover 11
Low Voltage Disconnect 10
Low Voltage Reconnect 11.2
Equalization Duration 0 Hrs.
Boost Duration 1 Hrs.

This will get you started and you can adjust for you battery as you gain experience with it.

I don't worry very much about the Low/ Under voltage settings since my Inverter/Charger with transfer switch should take care of that, but your circumstances maybe different.

Be sure to disconnect the Battery Temp Sensor. It is not needed for LiFePO4 batteries and will mess with the charging.

I strongly recommend the Renogy BT Module and the Renogy BT App. It allows more programming features and monitoring with a Google Android or Apple ios phone.

hope this helps...

Last edited:
Yes, the LI settings will tend to overcharge your battery. At 14.4v LiFePO4 are in a very high charge state. Above 14.6v there is risk of damage to the battery. If the Rover-40 truly stopped charging at 14.4v it may be OK, but I find the Rover-40 can be off my 0.1 or 0.2v and this is common with this solar charge controller. Also, at 14.4v you are at high risk of the BMS in your battery going into overvoltage shutdown which can cause problems.

Your BMS in your battery will (or should) shut down your battery before any damage to the cells with overvoltage or undervoltage protection, but you don't want to use this feature to run your solar system since it is a failsafe. You need to program the Rover-40 Boost Voltage to a voltage below your BMS overvoltage and you need to remove your loads before the battery BMS goes into undervoltage or make sure the battery voltage never gets that low (this can be done with an automatic transfer switch when using an inverter/grid power).

Min voltage for LiFePO4 Cells is usually 2.5v or 4x 2.5 = 10 Volts and Max voltage for LiFePO4 Cells is usually 3.65v or 4x 2.5 = 14.6 Volts

Your BMS may cut out before the Min or Max Voltage depending on how it is programmed, but you don't want to exceed the Min or Max and really keep a buffer above the min and below the max.

So, with the Rover-40 set to 14.4v and a voltage error of 0.2 you can get to 14.6 (or more) and damage your battery or your BMS will kick in to save your battery and shut things down.

The Rover-40 is not a precise SCC, but given its price point and the BT and ability to program and monitor on your phone it is a good value for entry/small solar systems. After some time (my 3rd year) I have learned to use it well. Just have to know its limitations...

I use the Renogy BT-1 Bluetooth Module that plugs in the Rover-40 Rs232 port.
www.amazon.com/Renogy-Bluetooth-Module-Communication-Controllers/dp/B0894SDTSL

With that Module I use the Renogy BT App loaded on my phone to program the settings and monitor the Rover-40 and is free.

I use the App and this is why the settings don't make much sense for programming in the Rover-40 itself.

I will try to translate what I see in the manual:
over-voltage Warning 14.5
Equalization Voltage 14.1
Boost Voltage 14.1
Float Voltage 13.6
Boost Return Voltage 13.4
Under Voltage Warning 10.9
Under Voltage Recover 11
Low Voltage Disconnect 10
Low Voltage Reconnect 11.2
Equalization Duration 0 Hrs.
Boost Duration 1 Hrs.

This will get you started and you can adjust for you battery as you gain experience with it.

I don't worry very much about the Low/ Under voltage settings since my Inverter/Charger with transfer switch should take care of that, but your circumstances maybe different.

Be sure to disconnect the Battery Temp Sensor. It is not needed for LiFePO4 batteries and will mess with the charging.

I strongly recommend the Renogy BT Module and the Renogy BT App. It allows more programming features and monitoring with a Google Android or Apple ios phone.

hope this helps...
First and foremost, thank you SO MUCH, for taking the time and efforts to help me to understand of "what's under the hood" about the Rover. I do have the BT-1 module (purchased as a bundle from Amazon) connected to it. When I tried changing the value from the app, it did not allow me to modify the Boost voltage to 14.1 (defaulted at 14.4 like you mentioned), and the float Voltage is at 13.8v. The error message I received when I tried adjusting both is identical: "The equailibrium voltage is greater than or equal to the boost voltage, and the boost voltage is greater than or equal to the floating charge voltage". Therefore, I was unable to make the changes that you recommended. I was able to change the Under Voltage and Low Voltage sections, as well as the boost time, but that's about it. Do you have any suggestions, or know the steps to bypass the restrictions mentioned above, so I can make those changes? Thanks in advance, Dynoman! Really appreciate it.

Ah. I think I might have got it. Do you mind having a quick look and let me know if the settings look right, please?

Added: I used the wrong app when I tried editing the settings, then I switched to Renogy BT app, entered the admin password then I was able to modify the settings. :) Thanks Dynoman.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220522-141258.png
    Screenshot_20220522-141258.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20220522-141249.png
    Screenshot_20220522-141249.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Ah. I think I might have got it. Do you mind having a quick look and let me know if the settings look right, please?

Added: I used the wrong app when I tried editing the settings, then I switched to Renogy BT app, entered the admin password then I was able to modify the settings. :) Thanks Dynoman.

Yes, those settings are a good place to start. Over time you will probably tweak the settings to better fit your system.

Yes, those settings are a good place to start. Over time you will probably tweak the settings to better fit your system.
Hi Dynoman, many thanks for extending the helping hands to a newbie like me. I'm sure I will learn along the way but people like you would help my learning journey much much easier. I might reach out to you if I have further questions or need more help. I hope you don't mind sir. Thank you!

Hi Dynoman, many thanks for extending the helping hands to a newbie like me. I'm sure I will learn along the way but people like you would help my learning journey much much easier. I might reach out to you if I have further questions or need more help. I hope you don't mind sir. Thank you!

No problem just click on my D icon and click start conversation. When I get the message I will do my best to help.

One thing I did notice after looking at your screen shots again is you have Equalize Charge Time(min) set to 1. I suggest setting it to 0. Probably won't matter since Equalize Charge Interval is set to 0, but the Equalize function is not performed on LiFePO4 only on Flooded Lead Acid batteries.

Last edited:
No problem just click on my D icon and click start conversation. When I get the message I will do my best to help.

One thing I did notice after looking at your screen shots again is you have Equalize Charge Time(min) set to 1. I suggest setting it to 0. Probably won't matter since Equalize Charge Interval is set to 0, but the Equalize function is not performed on LiFePO4 only on Flooded Lead Acid batteries.
Thanks for the reminder and I will make the adjustment, also, I forgot to mention that I have unplugged the temperature sensor from the Rover per your suggestion. I will definitely reach out to you should I need a bit more guidance in the future. Thanks again, Dynoman. :)

Dear Dynoman and jcgoobee, thanks for this information, it's very useful and I updated my Renogy 40Mppt charging controller with the above setting 👍

I have another question 😁
From my understanding a battery will be used, I compare it with my mobile battery which is already 5 years old and still in a good shape, I always charge it at around 20% up to 85%, not more, sometimes to a 100%

Now I like to set my LiFePO4 battery similar to this charging behaviour.

Now my question is: is it possible to set the voltages in the charging controller this way, that the battery is not charged always to a 100%?
Second question is: I also like that the battery will be charged when it reaches let's say a 20% not earlier.

Please excuse my probably bad English, I'm not a native speaker 😅

Not the same chemistry as your phone battery so behaves differently.
To keep the cells in balance the charge voltage needs to be greater than 3.40 volts per cell, 13.6 volts for a 4 cell battery. A suitable method is to charge to 14.0 or 14.2 volts , a short absorbtion period and with a float at 13.4 volts. Note that, with enough time, 13.6 volts will fully charge.
To charge to less than 100 % SOC would need a charge voltage lower than 13.45 volts, say 13.30 volts.

Discharge limit at 20% SOC is below 12.8 volts, no load or charge.

With your solar controller, from switch on when the solar panel volts exceed battery volts, it will charge to boost voltage, after boost duration, ( absorbtion period), fall to float volts. If the load on the battery drops the volts below boost return volts, the charge cycle repeats.
Next day starts the cycle starts again.
To achieve your requirements, not to charge the battery unless it's discharged to lower than 20%, it would need an additional device to control the charging process. I suspect keeping the battery is a high state of charge, say 70% is less damaging that continually cycling down to 20% SOC .

Dear Dynoman and jcgoobee, thanks for this information, it's very useful and I updated my Renogy 40Mppt charging controller with the above setting 👍

I have another question 😁
From my understanding a battery will be used, I compare it with my mobile battery which is already 5 years old and still in a good shape, I always charge it at around 20% up to 85%, not more, sometimes to a 100%

Now my question is: is it possible to set the voltages in the charging controller this way, that the battery is not charged always to a 100%?
Second question is: I also like that the battery will be charged when it reaches let's say a 20% not earlier.

Please excuse my probably bad English, I'm not a native speaker 😅

I agree with what Mike posted.

Also for much more information on programming the Renogy Rover Solar Charge Controller for Lifepo4 batteries click the link below to read this message. After reading the message suggest reading entire thread for more information.

Hope it helps...

Great, thank you Mike and Dynoman. I followed your experience with those batteries and took over the suggested settings.
Now I got an error message from the remix controller, because I charged my LiFePO4 battery while driving with another charging controller votronic 1212 30. I think it stops charging at 14.7V and I think it's not possible to adjust this setting.
Do you think this is a problem or should I just ignore the error message? As far as I remember it was error E1?

Great, thank you Mike and Dynoman. I followed your experience with those batteries and took over the suggested settings.
Now I got an error message from the remix controller, because I charged my LiFePO4 battery while driving with another charging controller votronic 1212 30. I think it stops charging at 14.7V and I think it's not possible to adjust this setting.
Do you think this is a problem or should I just ignore the error message? As far as I remember it was error E1?

Unfortunately charging to 14.7 volts will probably cause the BMS in the Lifepo4 battery go into overvoltage protection and disconnect your battery likely causing the error. The maximum charging voltage to start with should be 14 to 14.2 volts as previously mentioned.

Back