diy solar

diy solar

New setup - Shed / Office

tacoflavour

We currently run off the grid, and our system is running great, maxed out though, and whilst an upgrade is planned for this, its out of the budget for now.

So the cheaper 2 year option is to build a small offgrid setup for the shed / study office which is a bit of a distance from the house

The office will run 200w computer during the day, though there is a side shed that will have a waterpump that will run once a week, and a place to plug in random tools.
The Office may end up getting a few additional electrical requirements (bar fridge etc) but nothing major.

In winter we get plenty of cloud cover unfortunately, so looking for a system that can store a large amount of power

(AC is 230v here if its relevant)

The current system i am looking at, hoping the smart members here can tell me, where (most likely) i have screwed up, or what i may have missed.

Growatt ES5000 Inverter / Charger
Enersys 190AH 12v x 12 (48v 570AH)
4 x Trina 400W vertex S panels in series (168.4 VOC 11.7Impp)
Roof Mounts
PV Isolator Switch
DC Battery Switch
Wiring / Terminals
Battery Cabinet (Actually have one of these already from an old Battery UPS)
AC Switchboard: (prebuilt)
1 x 80 amp Main breaker / Isolator
1 x 40 amp 2 Pole RCD 6 KA (Unused)
1 x 20 amp circuit breaker (Connection for the shed)
1 x 16 amp circuit breaker (Connection for Office)
1 x 10 amp circuit breaker (Lights)

Trying to think if i am missing anything?

** Whilst i would love some Lithium, i have access to 2019 Telco Batteries to keep this system in budget
*** I wish the Growatt had multiple mppt, so i could add a second string on the other side of the roof at a later date, or is there another way around this?
**** If i run out of power, i do have a generator but its not the end of the world since its not running the house

Last edited:
Well, I think you have got a pretty good idea, tell me if you have finished your project. I'm planning to make my working cabinet in my garden, and it would be helpful if you would share your experience with me.

I don't think he will answer you since he was online on this forum too long ago. If you are planning to build a wooden cabinet for the summer/spring and autumn season, I suggest you approach the construction company that will help you plan the project and get the proper materials for this purpose. For example, you may approach these guys' gardenrooms.scot They have a lot of experience with making outside rooms. They helped me a lot when I was trying to do my project for my summer house. At least you can approach them for a consultation, and it is free.

Back