diy solar

diy solar

New shed system

LoyalServant

Greetings everyone,

In the planning stage of a system for a shed I am getting a permit for.
Once that's built I am going to install a solar system.
Local ordinance/codes require UL equipment.
This will become a ham shack :)

My initial plan is to go with Victron inverters/charge controllers/shunt/distributor/etc in a 24v system.
I like what I have seen, and I can get a UL version.

I figured I would build a system similar to what Will Prowse has in this video:

The shed roof can fit 8 panels reasonably, 4 on each side.
There will be shading at some points during the day that I cannot avoid. not my trees....
I have already cleared any trees that I can clear that will be an obstacle.

As to the panels - I have not decided. I will need 8 panels plus any mounting hardware/cable/etc.
I am not sure about rapid shutdown, but if they make me install it I will need to figure that out.
Our building department has been very helpful, and as this is a shed they seem to be a lot more forgiving.

My thought here with the panels and shading is a series-parallel configuration. I would end up with 4 circuits coming down.
I have thought about doing it this way by observing where the sun is at certain parts of the day vs shade from trees.
I want to start with the 3kW and move on from there. This should get me some lights and a mini split going initially while I work on the inside.
I plan on adding an additional inverter when I need it.

So... questions.....
1. Would I use a charge controller for each of the 4 circuits, or combine the 4?
2. Rapid shutdown with the Victron system components?, if they make me install it.. how?
3. I see a lot of really nice diagrams being made. What software is being used to make those?
4. What am I missing?

. Would I use a charge controller for each of the 4 circuits, or combine the 4?
If you have shading, then that is best..... but it can also be expensive.

At a minimum, you should have 2 controllers. One for each side of the roof (I assume each side is at a different angle to the sun)
3. I see a lot of really nice diagrams being made. What software is being used to make those?
I make a lot of the diagrams that you see on the forum and I just use plain ol MS Powerpoint. (Google slides is an equivalent).

Back