diy solar

diy solar

New slim 100 watt panel from Windy Nation

JAR

Hey guys, has anyone got any experience with this supposedly new style very thin 100 watt panel from Windy Nation being sold at Home Depot for only $69.99? It has a thickness of only .67 inches but it still uses an aluminum frame. When comparing it's electrical specs with their standard 100 watt panel it seems to have slightly less performance but the price is right. Here is the link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/WindyNa...atives_Non_HDhome-_-204211365-_-312874729-_-N.

Doesn't anyone care to comment? I'm looking to pull the trigger on a couple of these for my small travel trailer and would like to get some opinions and/or recommendations.

I do not like slim panels. It is preferable to have a large thick rail to mount your panel. You need air flow under it anyways, so best to lift them up an inch or so from whatever you are mounting to.
They look like a great solution for vehicle mounting though. Solid aluminum frame to mount to, and more aerodynamic on the highway...

not a bad price for a 100W poly panel, and the low profile can be a plus
$10 more you can get the 100W mono from HQST with a bit more efficiency
thanks for posting this

I do not like slim panels. It is preferable to have a large thick rail to mount your panel. You need air flow under it anyways, so best to lift them up an inch or so from whatever you are mounting to.

Could one use longer brackets to provide greater distance between the mounting surface and the panel, if it's stationary like a shed. Like Supervstech said may be more aerodynamic sound for vehicle roof. Looking forward to Supervstech review on these, but a nice inexpensive option if you can get them.

Thanks guys for responding. If you go to Home Depot's questions and answers about the panel, you can pick up some opinions. Jake, a Windy Nation engineer even chimed in explaining a little bit about the design:

"This panel was specifically designed for off-grid applications where a customer desires an aesthetically pleasing, low profile solar panel that does not protrude from what it is mounted to. Most customers find that a slim, low profile solar panel mounted on a car, truck, van, RV, sailboat, off-grid cabin, etc. gives the solar installation a better look and feel.

This panel will not break easily. The aluminum frame was engineered and tested over an 18 month period to confirm that its structural integrity was equal to or stronger than a 100W solar panel with a standard thickness aluminum frame. While the aluminum frame has a lower profile, the actual aluminum sheet used to fabricate the frame is much thicker than the thickness of the aluminum used on a standard 100W solar panel. This increased thickness and few other modifications, produce a solar panel that has a low profile yet maintains incredible strength and stability. We are extremely confident in this solar panel's reliability and we back that up with a 5 year warranty and a 25 year power warranty. Regards (Jake, WindyNation Engineer)"

Looks like they are about the same as the sturdy renogy slim 100w mono panel. But cheaper. I’ve never had a problem with renogy panels but it’s a personal preference.
Windy nation does make a lot of great solar dodads.

Last edited:
Odd that this is the least expensive panel on the site... less than the 50 and 30W panels...

Well, Supervstech, I went ahead and sprung for two of them so we'll have to compare notes when we get them.

I like my windynattys, will probably snag a couple of these as long as they can be wired in series with my existing panels without any current or diode incompatibility.

What actual wattage will you get from these panels? I've been researching many reviews on Amazon and comments say well below the package ratings.

I sure wish there was a go-to list of panels for actually tested panels from members on this forum.

I'm looking for around 170 watts for my minivan, so that I can run my (90-watt adaptor) laptop and (95-watt) slow cooker during the day. I would like to see how that does in an actual field test that I plan to do when I finally pick one up.. when I fine one.

I'm looking for around 170 watts for my minivan, so that I can run my (90-watt adaptor) laptop and (95-watt) slow cooker during the day. I would like to see how that does in an actual field test that I plan to do when I finally pick one up.. when I fine one.

don't consider your loads, consider the needs of your batteries - what kind of bank do you have?

if your loads only amount to 180w but you have a 200ah lead acid bank you need to panel appropriately to make sure those get charged EVERY DAY,

do you carry things on top of the van? I just sold a 250w santan 60cell to a guy with a van, he carries things on top so he plans to hang it from the roof rack over the side -- giving some shade over the windows.

look for used commercial grade panels locally. in many areas they can typically can be bought for $75-100. you could add a epever duoracer or similar charge controller to charge both your battery bank and engine battery.

They look like a great solution for vehicle mounting though. Solid aluminum frame to mount to, and more aerodynamic on the highway...
I mean it's absolutely a compromise. They don't last as long and they are more expensive. Do what your wallet can handle haha. I have a 50W flexible panel, but it was gifted to me. Dealing with what I have. I would not have bought it.

I mean it's absolutely a compromise. They don't last as long and they are more expensive. Do what your wallet can handle haha. I have a 50W flexible panel, but it was gifted to me. Dealing with what I have. I would not have bought it.
These are not flexible panels.
They are glass ridgid panels, only thing is the aluminum frame is 3/4" instead of 1.25"
And they are less expensive than the full size panels.

Back