diy solar

diy solar

New slim 100 watt panel from Windy Nation

My experience with the Windaynation 100 watt poly thin panel so far.

I received my panel a few days ago. With the weather being so hot here in NY (85-89) I had no energy to unbox nor test. Anyway. I finally unboxed the panel today while at the park and did notice some damage around the edges of the frame, and also the cells look scratched but i'm not sure, and the MC4 connector latch broke off, and last, the panel was coming unglued or uncaulked along the edge. I put my Radioshack Cat No. 2200087 digital voltmeter to the panels leads and noticed 20+ volts but the amps where 16.1 mA or less. I could not get even a single Amp out of it. The weather was sunny although it was past 5:30pm or so. I'm a bit disappointed so far. I should have stuck with my original plan to get the Dokio 200 watt foldable.

Note: This purchase was an in-store pickup at Homedepot.
Did you connect these to a load and actually measure this panel? Or just measure the open circuit mA? Without an inductive measure under load I do not believe you can get an accurate evaluation of the panel

Did you connect these to a load and actually measure this panel? Or just measure the open circuit mA? Without an inductive measure under load I do not believe you can get an accurate evaluation of the panel
I agree. More info is needed on how he was testing them.
I am getting 10+ amps out of my 3

Well, it’s been another year, and I wanted to add to the panels on my suburban… but they don’t make these any more…
Anybody wanna sell me theirs?

they don’t make these any more…
They are on the site a year later. Or again I guess. Were you able to source some or still “intending?”

I have had four in service for ~2 years-plus-ish. Only one issue (below).
I have two NIB intended to mount flat on the roof of my boat once I ‘glass it.

Only trouble is that the frames don’t have weep holes and my vertical orientation collected snow/water and did this on the bottoms of all four:IMG_8345.jpegIMG_8344.jpeg

It does not seem to have affected performance. I’m relocating them to the ESE wall of my shop 4S for a morning ‘tickle.’ Although the overhang above should keep them from seeing weather ever again I now want to drill some holes. Looking into the blown-open slit there is an empty square ‘tube’ in the extrusion that collected water from melting snow/ice and blew it open. There appears to be no wires there so drilling should be fine.

Anyway these have been decently performing panels that allowed me to place four wide where only three of the windyNation or Rich Solar poly 100W panels would fit on there past unistrut mounted installation on my camper. Hopefully lifespan will not be affected negatively by the freezing blowout.

Back