diy solar

diy solar

New small solar build.

Pixturethis

New here, been reading as much as I can on the site and have read Will’s book, still re-reading parts of it. My normal loads are only 41 watts being a normal load and 214 watts full load, this was from my victron smartshunt. I looking at adding solar with 2 100 watt panels and a victron 100/30 smart controller. I have just bought a SOK 100AH 12v battery

My question is I’m planning on putting 200 watts of panels on the roof of my 22ft class C. What type and size circuit breakers do I need. I know I need one between the battery and charge controller, is that it. At this time I don’t plan on running a inverter.

The amps of the circuit breakers depends on cable gauge and that will depend on how the solar panels are wired (series, parallel, or mix). The charge controller being a 100/30 means it can handle 100v PV Input max, so however you wire the panels, make sure you don't go over combined Voc of 100v. Series doubles Voc, and parallel doubles Vmp...

Voc and Vmp should be on the sticker for the solar panels. Also have to factor in the different in Voc for coldest operating temperature. Once you know the combined Voc, and max Vmp that will cross the wire, then you can make cable gauge selection, and size your breaker based on the cable gauge (to protect the wire)...

Thanks for the reply, this are the panels I plan on using 2 in series. With 10 gauge wire about 25’ long.
they are HQST 100watt panels.

Attachments

• FEBFB7BC-D2D1-499E-8436-98C652B64634.jpeg
    FEBFB7BC-D2D1-499E-8436-98C652B64634.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the help. Also if I am reading right, you should connect the battery to the SCC first then the solar panels and disconnect the solar panels frost then the battery if needed. This is correct?

Thanks for the help. Also if I am reading right, you should connect the battery to the SCC first then the solar panels and disconnect the solar panels frost then the battery if needed. This is correct?

Yes, always plug in the battery bank to power on the SCC first, before applying the solar PV input voltage.

Ok I have my solar parts
Epever tracer 30amp
100watt 12v panels
Victron smart shunt
100ah SOK 12v battery.
I have a basic drawing of my wiring I’d like to know if it looks right, only thing I see is the fuse is wrong, as if it blows it will take out the SCC. I’m I right here? CD4F7937-2783-427F-A084-24D20F2F5B9A.jpeg

Back