diy solar

diy solar

New SOK battery evaluation?

SomebodyInGNV

Hello. I just ordered a pair of SOK 12V 100A LFP batteries to use in a 2P array. What tests do I need to run when I get them to be sure they're as good as I should expect?

Other than a DVM, I don't have any testing equipment. I also don't have a Lithium-compatible charger. I intend to use my OEM WFCO 8955 charger (yes, I know it's cheap) and rely on my MPPT SCC to charge them fully. Do I need to buy some testing and/or charging equipment before placing them in service?

Thanks. I have a QWork battery monitor that I could use to test capacity but it won't shut off automatically. Is it safe to just leave the load on and assume the BMS will shut itself off?

Hello. I just ordered a pair of SOK 12V 100A LFP batteries to use in a 2P array. What tests do I need to run when I get them to be sure they're as good as I should expect?

Other than a DVM, I don't have any testing equipment. I also don't have a Lithium-compatible charger. I intend to use my OEM WFCO 8955 charger (yes, I know it's cheap) and rely on my MPPT SCC to charge them fully. Do I need to buy some testing and/or charging equipment before placing them in service?
Did you ever receive your SOK’s? I’ve been waiting over two months.

Ordered 2 x 100Ah on 11/18. No batteries yet. I've corresponded with Min occasionally, looking for a status report. His last response, this week, was "The container released on the Long Beach port now, and we should receive it in about 15 days. Once it arrived, we would ship out your order immediately." So, it sounds like the end of January or beginning of February.

There's really not much they can do. It's a national problem about which many news articles have been published.

It's not a problem for me. I'm working very slowly on my project and can't take my trailer out for another 6-8 weeks, anyway.

This is some boilerplate he pasted into his last response:

We did not ship enough batteries to US warehouse before Will Prowse post the video , we were intended to ship 1000pcs batteries to warehouse, but someone, he is the fan of Will Prowse, he said: I like your battery, but if Will Prowse doesn’t like your battery, what gonna you do ? Well, this stop us. We did not ship anything since Will post the video.

After Will posted the video, we immediately shipped 200pcs batteries from China to US warehouse. And shipped out 200pcs every 15 days. Normally it only need about 30 days, but terrible thing happened, the container arrived at the Long Beach port, but takes very long time waiting for long time to do custom clear. The first and second container stayed there over 5 week till end of last month. But things are getting better now, we would receive more and more batteries soon.

How is the shipping working?
SOK China factory shipped the batteries on plate to forwarder, they would arrange loading.
The boat leave every Thursday from HONGKONG port to Long Beach port. This will take about 16 days.

When the boat arrive at the Long Beach port, waiting for unload containers and custom clear and pay import tax. Normally this will take about 7~10 days, but due to the covid-19 , it takes 3~5 weeks recently.

After custom clear and tax paid, we could arrange the truck company to pick up the container. Normally it only 1 or 2 days, but it’s so hard this year, truck company can not find enough drivers, have to wait about 10 days…

After we receive the batteries, we would ship out in next 1 or 2 days immediately.

I ended up going with another battery so I canceled my order a few weeks ago. Positive outcome because it freed up 4 200Ah's for someone else!

Back