diy solar

diy solar

New solar beginner

HeatherW

I am just working on a set up for my SUV. Because it doesn't have alot of space I went with 2 renogy eclipse 100w panels ( have a 3rd as I got a good price on 3 ) and ordered a 150 ah cold weather lithium Canbat battery for its light weight and cold weather ability as I'm in Southwestern Ontario Canada with plans to travel and camp year round. I will only be powering a small cooler, a diesel heater and charging my phone so not a huge amount of power. Not sure about the size of mppt charger. I already have a 3000w inverter. My hopes was to get equipment that I could build on that could be moved to a full size van down the road. What should I go with.

Attachments

• 20210408_090727.jpg
    20210408_090727.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210402_155453.jpg
    20210402_155453.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Why a 3000w inverter 8f you only have small loads?
200W will take 5 hours to replenish 1/2 the 150Ah battery...
3000W inverter will deplete the battery in 20 minutes, so don't run it for long...

. 150 ah cold weather lithium Canbat battery for its light weight and cold weather ability as I'm in Southwestern Ontario Canada with plans to travel and camp year round..
Let me note and suggest a few things:
1st A Lifepo4 battery can not be charged under 32 deg F or -35 deg C. The battery you purchase has a BMS that will shut it down below those temps so if you plan on using the system year round you will need to switch to a different battery chemistry.
2nd it's best to figure out as close as possible what you plan on powering with your system so it can be sized correctly.
3rd Many users on here will help but if you purchase random pieces more then likely you will end up spending more money then you really need to.
4th Are you going to be doing all the wiring or have someone do it?
Any other information that you can share on things will help focus on what you really need.

Let me note and suggest a few things:
1st A Lifepo4 battery can not be charged under 32 deg F or -35 deg C. The battery you purchase has a BMS that will shut it down below those temps so if you plan on using the system year round you will need to switch to a different battery chemistry.
2nd it's best to figure out as close as possible what you plan on powering with your system so it can be sized correctly.
3rd Many users on here will help but if you purchase random pieces more then likely you will end up spending more money then you really need to.
4th Are you going to be doing all the wiring or have someone do it?
Any other information that you can share on things will help focus on what you really need.
Um...
32F is 0C... not -35C

Um...
32F is 0C... not -35C
Your right, I was looking at the spec "It can be charged at temperatures down to -35°C (-31°F). Our advanced temperature control feature draws power from the charger and so no additional components are needed for your system."
That being said your point about a 3000w inverter only running for 20 mins will be even less if it has a built in heater.

Why a 3000w inverter 8f you only have small loads?
200W will take 5 hours to replenish 1/2 the 150Ah battery...
3000W inverter will deplete the battery in 20 minutes, so don't run it for long...
Because I already had the inverter and probably won't even use it. Most of what I plan to use will be 12v but when I upgrade my vehicle to a full size van down the road I will probably add another of the same 150ah cold weather lithium and more panels so want my initial purchases to be expandable.

Back