diy solar

diy solar

New Solar Grounding

offgridbuild

I am grounding my off grid solar system & want to ensure it passes state inspection. My plan after reviewing a lot of threads and reading various code articles is to ground my solar panels at the array with a 6awg copper wire to a grounding rod. Then I would ground my PV combiner box near the array with a 6awg copper wire to the ground bus bar in my solar shed about 20ft away. The charge controller and inverter would also connect to the ground bus bar, which would connect to my AC service panel. The AC service panel would connect to a ground rod right behind my solar shed, which is about 30ft away from my solar array. Finally, I would bond the 2 ground rods with another 6awg copper wire.

Please advise if this would work for code purposes (NEC 2020) or if I am missing something and changes are needed. Thank you for any advice, this has been difficult to pin down, especially after receiving conflicting information from different electricians I have contacted.

Also, this is all based on the following attachment.

Attachments

• 4f5c6cb7-41ad-4879-8ef9-5cad4c7ecb5a_20220605_110733.jpg
    4f5c6cb7-41ad-4879-8ef9-5cad4c7ecb5a_20220605_110733.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Finally, I would bond the 2 ground rods with another 6awg copper wire
I don’t think that is required in all jurisdictions.
Do it if required, but I don’t think it’s a good idea. Anymore.
after receiving conflicting information from different electricians I have contacted.
This forum made me rethink much of what electricians told me including my six months as an apprentice 35 years ago.

A great deal has been written on this. A lot might depend upon what country and county one lives in. "Code" is a work in progress from what I see and does not seem to have a universal application.

A lot of "fur has flown" on this topic as it has been debated. I would suggest you check with your local code inspector to see what the expectations are since they are the ones doing the approval.

A lot has been written on the internet on this. If one looks at the print date of the articles many were written before 2020 which has the latest NEC standards.

When I read the interpretations of the 2020 updates the writer suggested that this was more of a "gray" area now.

There are some articles in the resources that discuss grounding that are worth considering.

Last edited:
When I read about bifacials, it said grounding wasn’t necessary. Is that the case?

When I read about bifacials, it said grounding wasn’t necessary. Is that the case?
Bifacial or not: the grounding comment is situational not specific to bifacial panels. The three things at issue with grounding remain: codes, safety, necessity. As odd as it sounds they can be three different answers.

Back