diy solar

diy solar

New solar install for Taxa camper.

lehighcap

Hello list—
New to solar but experienced with electric.
I have built a power management system using (3)—100 watt solar panels wired in series on the roof of my new Taxa Tiger Moth (small camper).
Also added Renogy 40amp mppt. The Tiger Moth from factory has a Zamp style plug on the exterior wired through a breaker and goes to positive terminal on the battery but I wired the (3) panels directly to the Rover.

I also purchased from Renogy their 100 watt suitcase style portable solar panel with pmt controller. I’ve adapted the plug for the trailer provided Zamp connector being sure I have correct polarity. (Parking under trees I wanted ability to charge if necessary).

After a quick test yesterday under cloudy skies, (sun was out and then it wasn’t) seems the portable unit cannot work using the Zamp connector. The pmt thinks the battery is full. Options I have considered, (1) bypass the portable unit’s pmt and connect the portable in series with the other three panels. (2) Relocate the positive and negative wires coming from the Zamp connector and tie it directly into to Rover MPPT PV input. The second option puts the system in an unbalanced series parallel circuit?

What do you guys think? Picture of the Tiger Moth attached.

Attachments

• BC9B670B-54A8-40D0-84B4-28F393670EBC.jpeg
    BC9B670B-54A8-40D0-84B4-28F393670EBC.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
What is a PMT? Is this a Pulse Wave Modulation SCC? If so it sounds as if the charging voltages for the Portable Panels are set way too high which could cause it not to charge. Perhaps its set to 24 Volts and not 12.

When you figure this out, you will love the portable panel. I think in the shorter days of the year like in December, you will get as much or more power out of the single 100 watt panel by angling it and moving three times aday than you will for the other three fixed panels. At least that’s what I see for my portable panels.

Back