diy solar

diy solar

New Solar powered cold trailer with an integrated passive cooling(phase change material)

starway

This is Joey Zou from New Jersey, I ever worked as industrial refrigeration engineer over 20 years.

I have the new idea for off grid solar powered refrigerated container and cold trailer which can work with an integrated passive cooling(phase change material) to maintain the temperature at night or rainy day, the special DC refrigeration unit can be connected with DC power generated from solar panel directly, so we do not need big inverter by this way, DC refrigeration unit can save over 40% power consumption comparing with normal AC refrigeration unit. This solar refrigeration technologies will supply a perfect solution for agriculture collection points, for first and last mile cold chains special for rural areas where there is not enough electricity but lots of sunshine.

I will be very glad to discuss more with anybody who is interested in this special project.

There have been lots of discussions on DC air conditioning on the forum, but I have yet to see a discussion on the scale you're talking about. Good luck and please post updates.

Phase change material? Dc cooling not compressor based?
Yup, please post details.
Where did you come up with "not compressor based" ?

Phase change material to even things out sounds intriguing. Seems like it might even be applicable to residential refrigeration.

In the day time we can use DC compressor for keeping cold trailer and integrated passive(phase change material) cooling when there is sun, the phase change material will release cooling at night, so we do not need lots of backup battery by this way.

How does the cost of the phase change material compare with the cost of battery? What is the life expectancy of the phase change material?

phase change material maybe less expensive than equivalent dc battery backup, cool idea!

sometimes i wonder if passively cooling an outer sheath to reject solar heat gain has any merit.. active cooling for internal volume, surrounded by phase change material to buffer heat, surrounded by some coolant loop on sides that face sun on outside (passively cooled by radiator). to reduce the exterior wall temperature to ambient more effectively. just painting the outside white should be good enough though.. but if there are solar panels on the van then it will have much higher heat gain than white paint. randomly thinking out loud, please ignore if nonsense!

good luck on your project!

Phase change material like from water to ice is Environmentally friendly and less expensive. There are many companies are doing business to rent/sell cold trailer and refrigerated container in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, I am exciting if we can develop such solar powered cold trailer with high efficiency refrigeration unit and thermal energy storage.

Back