diy solar

diy solar

New solar set up.

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum, as well as solar in general.
I am building out my pop up camper and want to install a solar set up on it. I currently only have 4 x 100 watt Renogy, (they are identical panels) mono hard panels. I want to put two of these panels on the roof, and two as ground deployed. Do I need to use two charge controllers or can I hook them to the same controller?
I would like to use a Victron 100/30 controller.
Thank you for your help and suggestions.

You need to post the specs on the panels you could be to near the max voltage on colder days or more
it may be more efficient to run 2 scc in case of a shading issue or some other issues with the panels being in different locations plus the benefit of having some redundancy

Assuming a 12v battery, connect the two fixed panels in parallel to a single 100/30 controller. Add the portable panels , one or both, in parallel to the same controller. The Voc of the panels is around 23 volts so no issues with controller voltage limits.
If you will always be using the portable panels as a pair then you have the option of using both panel sets in a series format. Again no issue with voltage limits.

With a single controller the advantage is that the Information recorded, daily yield, is easy to read.

Two controllers, say 75/15 , each connected to panel pairs, could under some conditions give a better yield and offer redundancy. However given the reliability of Victron Smart controllers and the added complexity of installing two units, a single 100/30 would be my choice.

One thing to consider is to engineer the connection of the portable panels so there is no possibility of reversed polarity.

Mike

Assuming a 12v battery, connect the two fixed panels in parallel to a single 100/30 controller. Add the portable panels , one or both, in parallel to the same controller. The Voc of the panels is around 23 volts so no issues with controller voltage limits.
If you will always be using the portable panels as a pair then you have the option of using both panel sets in a series format. Again no issue with voltage limits.

With a single controller the advantage is that the Information recorded, daily yield, is easy to read.

Two controllers, say 75/15 , each connected to panel pairs, could under some conditions give a better yield and offer redundancy. However given the reliability of Victron Smart controllers and the added complexity of installing two units, a single 100/30 would be my choice.

One thing to consider is to engineer the connection of the portable panels so there is no possibility of reversed polarity.

Mike
He would have to go 2s2p 4s is to close to max voltage so if all panels aren’t set the same couldn’t the lower output panels pull the higher ones down?

Mike
Thanks Mike.

Back