diy solar

diy solar

New Solar setup for 2014 Crossroads Travel Trailer

Ponch240

My first post after reading for months! Lots of great info on here, thank you.

We purchased a 'New to Us' 2014 Crossroads TT last summer. Looks and feels new. It has had zero upgrades from the previous owners. It has the typical 120v or propane/12v fridge, 1 rooftop A/C unit, propane or electric hot water heater, factory 1000w microwave, 120v TV etc.. There is NO available shore power at our camping site. We have been using a 3500w Pure Sine Wave gas generator and can run everything as it should by carefully running the heavy draw appliances individually. But, now it's time to go Solar!

Here is what I have purchased in the last few days from Renogy..

Renogy 3000w Inverter/charger
Renogy 100a MPPT Charge Controller
Renogy BT1 Bluetooth Module
Renogy 500a Battery Monitor

I already own 4x325w Solar panels that will be used in the system in a Series/Parallel array. The trailer is parked there permanently, it does not leave the site. I live in Toronto, Ontario. My campsite receives decent sunshine most of the day. We are only there for the 6 nicer months of the year, May-October.

Here are a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with.

1 - Will 400ah worth of Lithium Batteries be enough to run a RV setup, typical with Fridge, Water Heater, microwave, etc. I realize the Air Conditioner can probably only be run when the generator is running, which is fine as we don't use it often. I do plan to install a soft start for the AC however. Or does it make the most sense to use the propane feature of the appliances where possible (fridge, water heater) and run the remaining 120v/12v on Solar

2 - Can anyone provide me a parts list for wire gauge recommendations, what fuses and breakers are needed and a wiring diagram showing the placement of these additional components? All purchased components will be in the typical storage area in the front of the RV with the Solar panels placed on the roof.

3 - Do I need to install a secondary Automatic Transfer Switch for when I run the Generator? I plan to wire the generator into the Inverter/Charger input, as well as the RV shore power hookup into the Inverter/Charger output.

4 - Do I need to disconnect the existing AC/DC Convertor that is installed from the factory with newer RV’s? (Lots of debate on this one!)

5 - Can anyone offer any other suggestions that you are familiar with to complete my solar setup so that my RV will function 90% of the time on solar power?

6 - Am I missing anything? :)

Thanks in advance!

This drawing shows the ac integration for a typical travel trailer.
The converter needs to be disabled to avoid a power loop with the inverter.
I will be glad to answer any follow up questions you may have.

I wish you had consulted with us before you bought equipment.

This drawing shows the ac integration for a typical travel trailer.
The converter needs to be disabled to avoid a power loop with the inverter.
I will be glad to answer any follow up questions you may have.
Thanks Joey. From what I gather from your drawing.. the inlet is the feed from the genny and the surge protector is a fuse/breaker.. Is this correct? And, the existing converter can be disconnected..

Thanks Joey. From what I gather from your drawing.. the inlet is the feed from the genny and the surge protector is a fuse/breaker.. Is this correct? And, the existing converter can be disconnected..
This is an inlet https://www.amazon.ca/Conntek-30-Amp-Straight-Squire-Marine/dp/B00KC10A5C
Does your trailer have one?

The surge protector is not a fuse/breaker.
The prose at the link is descriptive

Yes the converter should be disconnected.
Just opening the breaker is sufficient unless you have folks in your trailer that might close the breaker for whatever reason.

This is an inlet https://www.amazon.ca/Conntek-30-Amp-Straight-Squire-Marine/dp/B00KC10A5C
Does your trailer have one?

The surge protector is not a fuse/breaker.
The prose at the link is descriptive

Yes the converter should be disconnected.
Just opening the breaker is sufficient unless you have folks in your trailer that might close the breaker for whatever reason.
Inlet - Yes, the TT has one. We currently hook the Genny up to it.
Surge protector - Is this required if the only feed is from the Generator and not from shore power ever?

Inlet - Yes, the TT has one. We currently hook the Genny up to it.
Surge protector - Is this required if the only feed is from the Generator and not from shore power ever?
If its only the generator and you trust the generator then you can omit that bit.
Many folks omit it even when using trailer park shore connects.
Personally I'm not that trusting.

Last edited:
If its only the generator and you trust the generator then no you can omit that bit.
Many folks omit it even when using trailer park shore connects.
Personally I'm not that trusting.
I guess for the price of it adding insurance to the expensive products it is protecting, it makes sense to add it.. thanks for the suggestion.

Back