diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

My experience was very similar:
Ordered on Sept 23rd, 'shipped' on 25th, scheduled delivery in Santa Rosa Nov 16th.

What contains the QR-Code on the cell? I read only about theories about production date, but is there also an unique number to identify each cell?

What contains the QR-Code on the cell? I read only about theories about production date, but is there also an unique number to identify each cell?
https://diysolarforum.com/attachments/lf280-codes-png.19379/

Does this mean, that Basen is only a reseller of EVE Power?
I'm not sure which piece of the above image gave you that impression, but you are correct.

Basen is just one of many grey market resellers selling these cells and many others. People on this site have bought from at least a half dozen different resellers, probably closer to a dozen. Basen has gained in popularity here recently, Xuba and Luyuan are probably still the most popular, but a bit more expensive, best anyone can tell they all offer essentially the same product with small differences in marketing, service, etc. I am not sure if any of them have an official relationship with EVE or not. Like most resellers they sell a handful of cells from a handful of manufacturers.

Last edited:
But I also thought I could get a portable air conditioner and point it right at the batteries for the occasions when I need to charge when it's really hot.
Scratch that thought out. One of the worst things you can do is charge a pack with a bunch of batteries at different temperatures and cells with temperature gradients across them. You'd need to change the ambient room temp so the whole pack can follow, not blow cold air at a pack which will cause gradients all over.

Mine were originally scheduled for the 16th but seem to be stuck in Tracy.
Fedex rescheduled and they arrived this morning. All in good shape and they all were at 3.28 volts. I don't care about the buss bars or the bolts. The tag on the cells is a nice feature.

Attachments

• 20201116_113802.jpg
    20201116_113802.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20201116_114003.jpg
    20201116_114003.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20201116_120747.jpg
    20201116_120747.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 42
I got mine today too! First set of boxes at least

Cleaning off the terminals looks like a must
The screws and bus bars look nice - and sufficient. Not sure why people complain about them, or maybe these are better than the ones from other vendors.

There packaging is amazing and at first glance I saw no damage. I don't think you could damage the corners enough to get to the cells.

All at the exact same voltage.

The cells are large and heavy. Very substantial.

The screws come worth a washer and a compression thing, should be sufficient to get good contact. I'm not sure how much force to use though and I need to figure out how to get the balance leads into the stack

Cleaning off the terminals looks like a must
Yup, I did that too. Clean terminals are happy terminals.
The screws and bus bars look nice - and sufficient. Not sure why people complain about them, or maybe these are better than the ones from other vendors.
I am ok with the busbars. I doubled mine up. Personally I hate the screws....lol.
There packaging is amazing and at first glance I saw no damage. I don't think you could damage the corners enough to get to the cells.

All at the exact same voltage.

The cells are large and heavy. Very substantial.
Same here. I was surprised at how well they were packed and the voltages on mine were very good too.
The screws come worth a washer and a compression thing, should be sufficient to get good contact. I'm not sure how much force to use though and I need to figure out how to get the balance leads into the stack
The torque is listed in the EVE spec sheet. I don't know what it is off hand. I used studs because the screws start getting shorter and shorter when doubling up the busbars and adding ring terminals, and I didn't want to risk stripping the threads in the terminal. I did use the screws to parallel top balance though and I was able to get them tight. I used a philips head screwdriver to torque them down.

The torque is listed in the EVE spec sheet. I don't know what it is off hand. I used studs because the screws start getting shorter and shorter when doubling up the busbars and adding ring terminals, and I didn't want to risk stripping the threads in the terminal. I did use the screws to parallel top balance though and I was able to get them tight. I used a philips head screwdriver to torque them down.
Excellent! Should I will use a screw driver then :)

Excellent! Should I assume that hand tight won't over do it? Might be sufficient?
If you want to use the screws that came with the cells, you can tighten them down until the lock washer is flat. That's what I did when I top balanced. A screwdriver will do.

Attachments

• P_20201030_194254.jpg
    P_20201030_194254.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 41
The torque spec is 70 inch pounds. I think 30 or 40 inch pounds is fine. They just need to be down solid.
I'll torque them to 50 when I'm done putting nuts on and off.

The shipping for my 16 Lishen cells was delayed by their national holiday, but the EVE cells arrived today. Same as others, great packaging, all cells at 3.28v. Only 2 of the 8 were flat or concave, with the rest slightly swollen, so I got the calipers out. My calipers only reach half to the center, but it appears that all were within the 73mm max specified by EVE. Capacity test is next; I'm happy so far.

If you want to use the screws that came with the cells, you can tighten them down until the lock washer is flat. That's what I did when I top balanced. A screwdriver will do.
I see you are using a Riden, I was.planning on doing the same but did you do a discharge (capacity test) after top balancing them..?
If yes what kind of resistor or device did you used to achieve this goal.
Thanks

I see you are using a Riden, I was.planning on doing the same but did you do a discharge (capacity test) after top balancing them..?
If yes what kind of resistor or device did you used to achieve this goal.
Thanks
Hello Honuz,

I have run three capacity tests and have pulled 272ah's from the pack. The second capacity test yielded greater than 280ah's while the first and third yielded 272ah's...so I am going with that and I am satisfied. I did not use a resistor. I bought a cheap 1000 watt sine wave inverter. Between a small 250 watt heater, my TV, tablet and laptop I am pulling an average of 15 amps from the pack.. My build is messy and I need to get to cleaning it up....lol But everything looks good so far.

Attachments

• P_20201110_141002.jpg
    P_20201110_141002.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 47
Hello Honuz,

I have run three capacity tests and have pulled 272ah's from the pack. The second capacity test yielded greater than 280ah's while the first and third yielded 272ah's...so I am going with that and I am satisfied. I did not use a resistor. I bought a cheap 1000 watt sine wave inverter. Between a small 250 watt heater, my TV, tablet and laptop I am pulling an average of 15 amps from the pack.. My build is messy and I need to get to cleaning it up....lol But everything looks good so far.
Thanks a lot, my inverter is on the way...so I'll just check voltage and internal resistance then I'll wait for my system to be build before testing batteries. I was trying to imagine :unsure: a system to test their capacity prior my system would be fully build...but that's a lot of energy, so I did not found something smart..reason I was asking.;)

Good and bad news today.
Only 12 of the 16 cells in the 2nd order were delivered today.
Hopefully, the 4th box will show up tomorrow.
I unboxed the first shipment, and even though the boxes were a little worse for wear, the cells are beautiful!
I did a quick voltage check and every cell is at 3.498V or 3.499V. I like that Basen puts a label on each cell with the internal resistance and voltage on it.
I'll test that in the days to come.
View attachment 26616View attachment 26617
I received 18 bus bars that are all exactly the same and much nicer than the ones I received from UNIS. I also received 41 screws with captive flat and lock washers.
View attachment 26618View attachment 26619View attachment 26620
I'm pretty pleased with what I see so far.
Though I will be building my own bus bars and probably not using the screws, it's a big leap in quality from the UNIS bus bars which were all different lengths and so thin, they weren't good for more than 40A.
So this thread has gone way over my head to the point it hurts. What is the consensus on these nicer busbars I expect to receive with my batteries? If I double them up will they be fine to use with my 5kw inverter? It will be a rare day that I ever pull more than 125 amps continuous.

Back