diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

Also, did you get CE certifications, RoHS and safety reports before ordering?

My batteries will be here Wednesday. I was hoping someone could post an Amazon link or other where they bought their 20mm M6 grub screws and bolts? I don't have time to order from Ali.

Also I'm guessing that I will not receive the 32 buss bars I requested so I can put all 16 batteries in parallel for a top balance. How many buss bars are you guys receiving? 16?

I'm assuming top balancing 8 batteries at a time in parallel is not good enough if the final assembly will be a 48v 16s pack?

Thanks!
The studs I got off eBay that was a mistake there is some on Amazon of you search tho.
I bought 1/8inch by 3/4 brass bar stock and made my own buss bars. They don't send enough to paralel unless you specificly ask for extra.
However untill I had my bars I used a roll of plumbers tape to paralel them all. It's not tape it's metal strapping with holes drilled every 3/4 inch or so and they fit the studs perfectly. Get a whole roll for like 2 bucks. I wouldn't use it for a load but it's fine for charging

I meant copper, don't know why I said brass. Probably because of all the plumbing I've been doing

The studs I got off eBay that was a mistake there is some on Amazon of you search tho.
I bought 1/8inch by 3/4 brass bar stock and made my own buss bars. They don't send enough to paralel unless you specificly ask for extra.
However untill I had my bars I used a roll of plumbers tape to paralel them all. It's not tape it's metal strapping with holes drilled every 3/4 inch or so and they fit the studs perfectly. Get a whole roll for like 2 bucks. I wouldn't use it for a load but it's fine for charging
This stuff? Great idea.

While looking at my options for cells, I asked for a quote of
8 * Lishen 272AH 3.2V Cells

From Basen on Aliexpress:
DAP: 600 (8*75) USD = + 237USD for shipping

When I ask for a DDP quote, they quote me the same amount...

If I were to order DDP, should I assume I would have to also pay the VAT of my country + duty taxes?

Something doesn't seem to add up :unsure:
I assume both were actually ddp quotes, I suspect it depends entirely on your country though.

I assume both were actually ddp quotes, I suspect it depends entirely on your country though.
Considering my VAT, that would leave only 117 USD for duty fees and shipping itself.

For a total of 80 lbs and 0.06 cubic meter.

Maybe I'm not well versed into how low cost shipping from China has become ?

Considering my VAT, that would leave only 117 USD for duty fees and shipping itself.

For a total of 80 lbs and 0.06 cubic meter.

Maybe I'm not well versed into how low cost shipping from China has become ?
If I recall correctly I think that they assume small packages escape tax, but that was people who were larger importers talking about the us.

This stuff? Great idea.

Yea that's the stuff. I forgot to order double buss bars too and I had this laying around so I used it to paralel and top balance my 16 cells.

Actually they're screwing us all on shipping. The Chinese government subsidizes shipping so it's basicly free for them in the end. Least that's what I've been told, I'm no economist.

I started load testing my cells today. So far that swollen cell isn't acting any differently then the others. It's been running my AC for 3 hours. I had wanted to see how long it would run the ac alone but it decided to turn cold and rainy today on me. My bedrooms about 40 degrees with the air con running ?. Il have to switch to a space heater soonPXL_20201127_230231431~2.jpg

I started load testing my cells today. So far that swollen cell isn't acting any differently then the others. It's been running my AC for 3 hours. I had wanted to see how long it would run the ac alone but it decided to turn cold and rainy today on me. My bedrooms about 40 degrees with the air con running ?. Il have to switch to a space heater soonView attachment 28742
What bms are you using?

I had one swell up pretty bad after top balancing. Bad enough I couldn't get the bus bar off. I'm going to hook up my invertor tomorrow and out a load on them and see what happensView attachment 28703
Look like it will give birth to a small 40ah battery soon....! Sweet.. your first baby battery..??

Some further questions if I may...hope their not too simple or repetitive ?
Is there an 'official' definition of Grade A cells vrs Grade B ?
And what qualifies as "Matched" .
similar "balanced" (I presume at same Voltage and SOC, and thus capacity ?)
And re discussion of an initial 'long' charge at 3.65V / =TOP Balance to 3.65V ? .. but its recommended to not do that again ? Are new Cells presumed not to have been charged to that ? used cells one would assume have ?
If its rated for 280ah and it doesn't get 280ah during a capacity test, then they are not grade A, otherwise they are not 280ah batteries.

Maybe this info below can be added to the OP to save everyone time unless you want everyone to read almost 400 posts for 2+ hours - which people won't. So you will die a frail old man at you computer answering the same questions over and over, from noobs like me, for ever and ever, until the end of time, until you are old and grey like the guy in UP. ;) Well that got a little dark. I should sleep instead of posting this at 4am, but alas I cannot sleep.

After waking up at 1am, eventually I started to read. I spent 2+ hours reading this thread. I skimmed some very long arguments about types of dielectric grease vs silver etc to prevent corrosion d/t dissimilar metals, but I read most of it. Read about galvanic corrosion in the marine environment if you are curious. Anyway, here is the summary, not my opinions, but rather a summary. I will add links later for my future reference. Pardon my phone voice to text typing/ grammar.

In the end, three people out of the 396 posts did capacity tests, and all 3 said they past. Average was in the 270s for a 280ah. I'm not sure that qualifies as grade A. Some people believe that the ah will increase over time (a few cycles) and depends on slow vs fast discharge. Will Prowse addresses this in his videos, and how if it says its rated for that amount, it better be that amount or more. For example Eve vs Lishen (with the square plastic surrounding the terminal)- advertises 272ah in their specs vs 280ah thst Eve advertises. So either these EVE cells are B or they are not 280ah. But overall you are not getting crap or 100ah cells

They all shipped well in good packaging

You want DDP pricing which includes tarrifs/taxes etc.

Fedex gets the packages off the boats and delivers to your door. Plan for a month or 2 depending on the port.

For $1400+ In the end 16 cells with better than 80% of the 280ah, and is around a 14kwh pack. So it costs about the same as a 5kwh bigbattery.com 48v battery. But you need a BMS and a wooden case to compress the batteries to prevent internal delamination in order to decrease degredation or bulging. So, it's 1/3rd the cost of a solid brand, but requires work.

You want grub screw posts that you can insert then the nut provides the clamping force not the twist of a normal screw/bolt. This way you also can't screw through the bottom on the posts. Use red lock tight for permanent blue for removable. They connection is made between the lug and top surface of the terminal. They are M6 1.0 thread, Minimum length is 20mm long, but 30mm will allow for a second nut to lock the 1st nut down and there is no reason not to have a taller post.

The consensus is to make your own bus bars, many people mentioned copper flat stock. I wonder about smashing a copper pipe in a vise to flatten like some lugs as a cheap alternative. Tho it seems like stress cracks could form and create heat/shorting. The included bars are better than some people have seen from other suppliers depends on your needs if you want to upgrade.

Personal recommendation:
FYI - Dielectric grease will decrease the amount of oxygen getting to the surfaces quite a bit thus decreasing corrosion. We always use at least about a teaspoon amount on boat terminals. Wipe some on the surfaces of the lug, posts, and terminals, and then after bolting down, put a glob over the terminals yo cover everything. After half a decade the posts will still be clean even with dead boat batteries and all the acid involved when they bring the boats back in dead. The residential house kind from home depot is cheaper but thinner and oozes off the posts just leaving a thin coat. The permatex brand is thicker and the glob stays where you put it. There is literature and why you don't use the colored auto battery terminal stuff, but I just always remembered use the clear/Permatex after reading it.

All references said these were EVE cells and many pages were about decoding EVE date codes. Also compared to lower ah Lishen cells. Basen also sells Lishen cells if you are interested. Although maybe Lishen lists thier real ah rating at 272 vs 280 to be fair vs EVE and thus they would be grade A if EVE had legit specs. Many believe these are high quality grade B, the best rejects.

Lishen vid -

Last edited:
Many have bought these cells from the suppliers that offer them. I tested the cells I bought from the group buy and was able to get 272ah's out of my 8S pack. Whether or not the cells are grade A is debatable. My guess is they are a little better than B+. One of the suppliers gave them a grade A-5 rating, whatever that means. The cells are still a great value.

One needs to keep in mind these are not capacity matched cells. If I measured the capacity of the individual cells my average would be a little more than 272ah's. I have one cell that is weaker than the others and if I felt the need to replace it I would probably get a few more ah's. Most keep their packs well between between the knees, or use around 80%. Since my pack is for power outages I plan to keep them at 70% or less capacity to help prevent degradation from storing at a high SOC.

I am not quite sure where you are getting 5kwh from. A 280ah 24 volt pack will net 7.168 kWh's. Since I am netting 272ah's the kwh's of my pack is
6.963kwh's. I am happy with that...I have a pack that is 97% capacity.
The 5kwh reference was just taking a 48v system/16 cells and the resulting kwh it would provide, so divide the 14kwh by 5kwh to get down to a comparable cost vs buying a common 5kwh package, or battery from bigbattery.com etc

Last edited:
I've watched several videos on youtube now testing these cells that come in over 280.
I can't load test kine as one cell is bad so I can't get them charged fully it keeps kicking me out when all the other cells are at 3.35. and I don't trust it's capacity either. But they're sending me a new one.

I figured it would cost me $8k ish in battle borns, maybe not the best to compare but that's what I would have bought if not doing my own.
The time involved is a moot point when you figure most of us doing the diy route is because we enjoy doing it

Well I just put in a bid for 40 cells. The first project will be an off grid house I'm building for a customer. We will see if they make it worth my wild to keep buying from them. The Lishen are on sale so I may just get those that Will listed on a video, plus bigbattery.com uses them. Now to just find a deal on 8 BMSs to make a 48v 8battery 4s@ 12v x 8p = 28kwh system. If all works out well I know 3 people who want the same thing. Hoping to find the BMSs that fortune uses that Will mentions in the vid above.

Last edited:
Rec recommends parallel packs with separate contractors. 1 pack goes down the rest continues. Now your going to say that gets expensive. Each pack adds about 200 bucks in slaves. Not much considering each pack is worth about 1800 bucks. Well worth protecting.
I have a setup from rec on the way to test and I'll report on it.

Back