diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

Much to my surprise FedEX dropped off my 16 batteries today (Sunday) three days early. No damage at all to the boxes. However, my labels all say 272ah. Ampster posted a photo and his show 280ah. What gives? My order details clearly show I bought 280ah. I'm going to capacity test them but if they are lower I'll expect a little refund.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Much to my surprise FedEX dropped off my 16 batteries today (Sunday) three days early. No damage at all to the boxes. However, my labels all say 272ah. Amster posted a photo and his show 280ah. What gives? My order details clearly show I bought 280ah. I'm going to capacity test them but if they are lower I'll expect a little refund.
Those are Lishen cells. The suppliers are claiming they test at 280ah's or better. As far as I know there is currently a shortage of EVE cells. I look forward to your testing.

Those are Lishen cells. The suppliers are claiming they test at 280ah's or better. As far as I know there is currently a shortage of EVE cells. I look forward to your testing.
Thanks for the info. I'm charging one of them now. It's been sitting at 3.361 volts and taking 10.38 amps for quite some time. Voltage out of the box was 3.309

If my capacity tester arrives today as Amazon says I should have the results to report by tomorrow.

Yea they switched to those lishen cells when eves ran out. They're saying they are just as good and possibly better.

Thanks for the info. I'm charging one of them now. It's been sitting at 3.361 volts and taking 10.38 amps for quite some time. Voltage out of the box was 3.309

If my capacity tester arrives today as Amazon says I should have the results to report by tomorrow.
When the cell hits the sweet spot in the knee the voltage doesn't budge for awhile. I noticed that when I parallel top balanced my 8 EVE cells and I thought something was wrong. But everything was hooked up correctly and my charger was putting 12 amps into them. I was happy and a bit relieved when finally the voltage started to rise.

The more capacity tests we get on these cells the better. I am sure I am not speaking for myself when I tell you it's very much appreciated. These Lishens are new territory for this forum. Thanks...(y)

When the cell hits the sweet spot in the knee the voltage doesn't budge for awhile. I noticed that when I parallel top balanced my 8 EVE cells and I thought something was wrong. But everything was hooked up correctly and my charger was putting 12 amps into them. I was happy and a bit relieved when finally the voltage started to rise.

The more capacity tests we get on these cells the better. I am sure I am not speaking for myself when I tell you it's very much appreciated. These Lishens are new territory for this forum. Thanks...(y)
Thanks. Voltage actually dropped a little. I'm guessing the battery warmed up. Starting charging one cell hours ago. It was at 3.309 out of the box. It was at 3.362 volts taking over 10 amps. Now it's at 3.357 volts taking 10.38 amps. I will charge 4 in series next.

Thanks. Voltage actually dropped a little. I'm guessing the battery warmed up. Starting charging one cell hours ago. It was at 3.309 out of the box. It was at 3.362 volts taking over 10 amps. Now it's at 3.357 volts taking 10.38 amps. I will charge 4 in series next.
What charger are you using?

Are you charging each cell to absorption or float?
  • Absorption: 3.625V
  • Float: 3.4V

Something doesn't sound right. The voltage should not have dropped. You had almost reached 3.65 volts. 3.62 volts is close enough. I also would like to know what charger you are using. Or are you using a power supply?

Do you have a BMS to monitor the cells when you connect in series?

While looking at my options for cells, I asked for a quote of
8 * Lishen 272AH 3.2V Cells

From Basen on Aliexpress:
DAP: 600 (8*75) USD = + 237USD for shipping

When I ask for a DDP quote, they quote me the same amount...

If I were to order DDP, should I assume I would have to also pay the VAT of my country + duty taxes?

Something doesn't seem to add up :unsure:
My order said DAP but after chatting with the vendor they said all orders are DDP, door to door

What charger are you using?
I'm using the Long Wei PS3010-DF power supply recommended by Will Prowse. I have it set to 3.85 volts which puts it in constant current mode to speed things up. I'm keeping a close eye on the terminal voltage and will drop the charger voltage to 3.5 when it starts to rise. Once at 3.5 I will constantly monitor going to 3.6 then 3.65 since I have read that happens within minutes from 3.5

Something doesn't sound right. The voltage should not have dropped. You had almost reached 3.65 volts. 3.62 volts is close enough. I also would like to know what charger you are using. Or are you using a power supply?

Do you have a BMS to monitor the cells when you connect in series?
I never came close to 3.62. It was 3.362

Rec recommends parallel packs with separate contractors. 1 pack goes down the rest continues. Now your going to say that gets expensive. Each pack adds about 200 bucks in slaves. Not much considering each pack is worth about 1800 bucks. Well worth protecting.
I have a setup from rec on the way to test and I'll report on it.
Is this the 4S BMS you have ordered? I would be very interested in your finding, so pls do report in. This was my preferred option by far, but could not quite justify the cost...

Are you charging each cell to absorption or float?
  • Absorption: 3.625V
  • Float: 3.4V
I'm using a power supply and the leads that came with it. I'm going to try some beefier leads.

UPDATE: I put on beefier leads and I can now get over 10 amps with the charger set to 3.65 in CV mode. That's over 4 amps more than what it would do at 3.65 with the thin charging leads.

Last edited:
I'm using the Long Wei PS3010-DF power supply recommended by Will Prowse. I have it set to 3.85 volts which puts it in constant current mode to speed things up. I'm keeping a close eye on the terminal voltage and will drop the charger voltage to 3.5 when it starts to rise. Once at 3.5 I will constantly monitor going to 3.6 then 3.65 since I have read that happens within minutes from 3.5
I have a different branded name of that same power supply and I'll tell you mine runs 1 watt higher then I set it to. Take the charger off for a while and check the voltage with a good multi meter. To make sure it's acurate

Also throw the leads away and make some with heavier wire and ring terminals to put on the screw portion not the plug in ones. My voltages changed dramatically after I did.

Oops you already did that, getting ahead of my reading

I am going to be starting this test this morning on one of my Lischen 280ah cells assuming I can get it charged. I'm at 3.381 volts and climbing. The ET5410 tester I bought is supposed to do 40 amps but throws an OPP (over power protection) fault at 40 amps. Highest I can go is 34 volts continuous current discharge.

So I plan to charge to 3.65 and let it rest for about five minutes. Then start the discharge test at 34 amps continuous until the tester disconnects at 2.5 volts. Is there anything different I should do? I don't want to run this test again as charging takes forever.

I assuming taking it down to 2.5 and then immediately starting a 10 amp charge will not hurt the battery?

So I plan to charge to 3.65 and let it rest for about five minutes. Then start the discharge test at 34 amps continuous until the tester disconnects at 2.5 volts. Is there anything different I should do? I don't want to run this test again as charging takes forever.
That should give us a fairly good Idea. Try to measure the voltage at the cell terminals, especially towards the end of the discharge, because there will be a difference between what the capacity tester reads and what your DMM reads at the terminals due to a voltage drop. As I recall the voltage at the cell terminals might be a little higher than what your capacity tester reads.

I assuming taking it down to 2.5 and then immediately starting a 10 amp charge will not hurt the battery?

I think you assume correctly. EVE recommends a 30 minute resting period but then they are using 1C rates.

I have a different branded name of that same power supply and I'll tell you mine runs 1 watt higher then I set it to. Take the charger off for a while and check the voltage with a good multi meter. To make sure it's acurate
Will do. Thanks for the heads up. Once these are charged to 3.65 and the amps taper to close to zero what is the approx. resting voltage after the charge is removed. I'd figure it out myself but I'm still charging this damn battery believe it or not.

Back