diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

When I imagine applying epoxy to set battery posts, I think of the messes I've made using epoxy in the past. There really is no room for getting the epoxy on top of the battery terminal. You would have to get it perfectly clean afterwards.

The conductive paste looks interesting, but it also looks messy (says so in the documentation).

Maybe is just me that has a problem with making messes ?‍♂️

When I imagine applying epoxy to set battery posts, I think of the messes I've made using epoxy in the past. There really is no room for getting the epoxy on top of the battery terminal. You would have to get it perfectly clean afterwards.

The conductive paste looks interesting, but it also looks messy (says so in the documentation).

Maybe is just me that has a problem with making messes ?‍♂️
There is no doubt it can be messy and I have never applied it to a battery terminal but I have installed thousands of threaded rods into concrete and its really not that hard to not make a mess once you get the hang of it. Will definitely be drilling and taping a few practice holes before doing it to a battery that takes 2 months to replace though :) If I go ahead (pretty sure I will) ill post up some pictures

LOL. Yes it appears you may be a little mess adverse. ( the concern with epoxy and the terminal is certainly justified though)

In regard to the MG Carbon Paste, it appears that it might be inferior to products like Ox-Gard when it comes to joining dissimilar metals. The Ox-Gard has significant zinc content which helps prevent galvanic corrosion. The MG product appears to rely only on the grease excluding air and the conductivity of the carbon to reduce corrosion, so it may be more appropriate when joining like metals.

Classy! What ever works.

Are you doing it in steps or are you calling 3.5 the top?

I had been meaning to ask someone if just going to 3.4 or 3.5 would be safer than taking them all the way to 3.6 and if there would be any drawbacks in doing so. Any opinions?

Classy! What ever works.

Are you doing it in steps or are you calling 3.5 the top?

I had been meaning to ask someone if just going to 3.4 or 3.5 would be safer than taking them all the way to 3.6 and if there would be any drawbacks in doing so. Any opinions?

Steps. I don't plan to take my cells over 80% SOC so I would like to hear more about whether balancing to 3.5 volts and calling it good makes more sense. I probably won't go to 3.65

The one cell that I capacity tested I did charge it to 3.65 It didn't bloat thankfully.

Last edited:
Steps. I don't plan to take my cells over 80% SOC so I would like to hear more about whether balancing to 3.5 volts and calling it good makes more sense. I probably won't go to 3.65 One the once cell that I capacity tested I did charge it to 3.65
You don't need to balance at 3.65V, I'm not sure about 3.50V specifically, it may or may not be a little low. Conceptually the important concept to grasp is you want to be substantially into the upper knee (where voltage differences are exaggerated and voltage is sensitive to SOC). 3.60 would be okay, 3.55 might be reasonable too I'm not 100% sure. As Nordkyn Design puts it, at lower voltages you might have to "insist" a little more.

@FilterGuy recently put together a good, basic beginners intro on this topic

I just ordered 20 280ah cells from Emily at Shenzhen Basen. Total was $1,640 for the batteries, $286 for shipping for a total of $1,926. There was a small credit card fee as well. That's $96.30 a battery delivered. As you said, now we wait... But so far it's been a smooth process, and this is the first time I've used Alibaba. Next up for me is buying 4 BMS' (3 12v batteries at 280ah, 1 12v battery at 560ah).
Was told the batteries shipped on the 5th of November via ship. Checked on status yesterday and received this

"We were informed by the forwarder today that due to bad weather, lead to ship part of goods were blown into the sea, the ship are going to turn back now, Only after the return of the ship can we confirm whether your goods are safe, if after confirm the goods fell into the sea, we will arrange shipment for you again. I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

I've already let them know what I think of that explanation (BS).

I've asked for the ship name, flag country, port of exit (assume DGG), port of entry (assume LGB), and container number. I can check in all of that. They say they'll get back to me Monday. I'll post updates as I get them, but this really sucks.

It's certainly possible that they shipped from Yantian, but unlikely as the supplier is in Dongguan, and there are much closer ports. It's also unlikely that it's the ship my stuff was on as it shows it left port on the 29th of November, nowhere near the 5th of November as the supplier says.

But it is certainly possible that other ships have had similar issues, and that mine was once of them.

I want to hear specifics from the shipper and will evaluate myself. Hopefully they're being transparent. Either way it's a long time from an order date of 2 November to delivery. Especially if this entire process has to repeat.

The article says, “It is estimated that the number of lost or damaged units could exceed 1,900, of which some 40 are believed to be dangerous goods containers”. There could be batteries in the "dangerous goods containers" for sure...

It also says, "an average of 1,382 containers were lost at sea each year". But that's out of a total of 226 million containers shipped in 2019. That's odds of .00000612 to 1, a fairly small chance...

But thank you for the info...hopefully I'll get an honest response from them...

It's certainly possible that they shipped from Yantian, but unlikely as the supplier is in Dongguan, and there are much closer ports. It's also unlikely that it's the ship my stuff was on as it shows it left port on the 29th of November, nowhere near the 5th of November as the supplier says.

But it is certainly possible that other ships have had similar issues, and that mine was once of them.

I want to hear specifics from the shipper and will evaluate myself. Hopefully they're being transparent. Either way it's a long time from an order date of 2 November to delivery. Especially if this entire process has to repeat.

The article says, “It is estimated that the number of lost or damaged units could exceed 1,900, of which some 40 are believed to be dangerous goods containers”. There could be batteries in the "dangerous goods containers" for sure...

It also says, "an average of 1,382 containers were lost at sea each year". But that's out of a total of 226 million containers shipped in 2019. That's odds of .00000612 to 1, a fairly small chance...

But thank you for the info...hopefully I'll get an honest response from them...
MadMacks,

what port were your batteries being shipped to? Just curious as I also ordered cell from Basen and was told they shipped on Nov 4th. I'll write to Basen end of next week for an update if my tracking number continues to not show progress.

MP

Last edited:
Here’s the info on the ship...

1,816 containers lost...estimated. Was in route from Yantian, China to Long Beach, California. It’s one big ship...
Wow, brand new ship in 2019. Maybe a design flaw. Very unusual to see that many containers lost in one incident. The ship turned around and docked in Japan.
ONE APUS (Container Ship) Registered in Japan - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 9806079, MMSI 431003000, Call Sign 7KEG | AIS Marine Traffic

Wow! I order from Basen on the Nov 4th with Gloria Lau, I hope my shipment to LA is OK too! I do not not know when my shipment was shipped. I do not get any message from Gloria. How did you get that status from Alibaba? It is my first order from Alibaba so I do not really know how to navigate the website to get latest info.

Losing containers seems to be a hot topic, rumours are another ship has also lost 200+ containers today on the north sea.... still a significant amount of containers...

Back