diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

I ordered 20mm studs and those locking nuts from china off eBay. I ordered before noticing the location, won't do that again. The studs hit the usa went to usps, shiped to north houston (I live an hour n.e. of houston) then they sent them to shreveport la, then to elpaso... Which is the last update.
The nuts show leaving china and nothing after
My cells were sent to the forwarder and I got a tracking number within 4 days. When they actually made it on a ship I don't know. I got a tracking number the 23rd of Sept. Still not landed in CA

I ordered 20mm studs and those locking nuts from china off eBay. I ordered before noticing the location, won't do that again. The studs hit the usa went to usps, shiped to north houston (I live an hour n.e. of houston) then they sent them to shreveport la, then to elpaso... Which is the last update.
The nuts show leaving china and nothing after
My cells were sent to the forwarder and I got a tracking number within 4 days. When they actually made it on a ship I don't know. I got a tracking number the 23rd of Sept. Still not landed in CA
I have tried to get vessel name from three different vendors with no luck. There can be a big variation between the time it left our vendor and when our orders were put into a container that was loaded onto a ship

How does this make you feel?

64 cells in a 48V setup. 51.2V Nominal at 280ah = 51.2x280x4=57 kWh
$5398 total, with trade assurance, shipping, everything. = $5398/57 kWh = $ 94.13 per kWh, DELIVERED.

How does this make you feel?

64 cells in a 48V setup. 51.2V Nominal at 280ah = 51.2x280x4=57 kWh
$5398 total, with trade assurance, shipping, everything. = $5398/57 kWh = $ 94.13 per kWh, DELIVERED.

So much for the shortage rumors. Tesla and Enphase will be giving batteries away before long.

Today is 5 weeks since I placed my first order.
Mine are still Pending in FedEx.
Hi,
I've asked Basen for a quotation, 81.7$ for Eve, 75$ for Lishen. Someone bought those Lishen...?
I've asked for quotation on 3 other sellers, will come back with results.

Hi,
I've asked Basen for a quotation, 81.7$ for Eve, 75$ for Lishen. Someone bought those Lishen...?
I've asked for quotation on 3 other sellers, will come back with results.
I can get you both for less than that.
Apparently one guy has bought Lishen without knowing that he did but it will take some time before he gets them.
I have purchased 4 Lishen cells that are in the process of being shipped by air (I have the tracking number already), completely at my own expense, to Craig who has agreed to test them for me. Once I Craig is done testing them I will know more what to tell people about if they should consider them or not.
The Lishen are actually touted as 272ah cells from the manufacturer, but the suppliers are claiming that all test closer to 285ah. We shall see.

I can get you both for less than that.
Apparently one guy has bought Lishen without knowing that he did but it will take some time before he gets them.
I have purchased 4 Lishen cells that are in the process of being shipped by air (I have the tracking number already), completely at my own expense, to Craig who has agreed to test them for me. Once I Craig is done testing them I will know more what to tell people about if they should consider them or not.
The Lishen are actually touted as 272ah cells from the manufacturer, but the suppliers are claiming that all test closer to 285ah. We shall see.
To be clear, your are in China and have sources some Lishen locally at lower cost the 75$ per cell, right..?
Yea I heard the same about those Lishen exceeding their rating, many sellers are pushing them, I guess they buy them at a good price and make more money out of it.
Now the capacity is one thing, longevity is an other... There is a reason why an eneloop 1900mah get 2100 cycles while an eneloop pro 2450mah get only 500 cycles.

The CALB for example are pretty heavy for 200ah..vs the Eve 280ah

Don't like those people, when they are selling Grade B cells, They claimed that the cells are Grade A new.
Perhaps cause the definition of grade A is pretty vague, what is a grade A...? Normally it should be a battery within specs, with original serial number and warranty. Now..a grey market battery with the same internals, within specs too...what is it..? For sure it's different then an on off spec battery ( and even then depend by how much and on which parameters..!)
Those grades exist cause not 2 batteries are equal.... If you want to go deep enough, each battery should have it's own grade.
But I can agree with you, it's like a lottery...but at those prices, even if they are "low" grade A, they are ok.

There is a reason why an eneloop 1900mah get 2100 cycles while an eneloop pro 2450mah get only 500 cycles.
I am an eneloop fan. I have some I bought when they were first released back in 2006 and I still use them for things. I have never had one leak. They do not have the capacity they used to, but they still hold a charge and are amazing.

The general capacity listed for most Lifepo4 cells is 2000 cycles. It doesn't matter what their amp hour rating is. EVE claims a 3500 cycle life if the cells are mounted in a fixture to prevent expansion of the cells. And this is charging and discharging at 1C rates. But they do state .5C rates are standard.

To be clear, your are in China and have sources some Lishen locally at lower cost the 75$ per cell, right..?
Yea I heard the same about those Lishen exceeding their rating, many sellers are pushing them, I guess they buy them at a good price and make more money out of it.
Now the capacity is one thing, longevity is an other... There is a reason why an eneloop 1900mah get 2100 cycles while an eneloop pro 2450mah get only 500 cycles.

The CALB for example are pretty heavy for 200ah..vs the Eve 280ah
No, I am not in China.
I am currently in Ohio, but I travel a LOT in my RV. My official address is in Michigan where my son lives. My wife, that son, and my daughter have a small advertising business that I started 4 years ago and I travel selling advertising. MI, IN, OH, KY, OK, IL. MO, TN, VA, GA, and FL as of, but growing all the time.

My son is helping with the cells when needed to reship, and he may start building some battery packs this winter as well.

My contacts were cultivated a few months ago when I perceived a need for someone to facilitate better prices by coordinating the purchases and buying as one entity. I started negotiations with suppliers and narrowed it down to 2 and then when one made a small mistake that was the deciding factor. Both of the final two suppliers, once given some information on me, my history, and my current business, were willing to give me a very good price based on their belief that I could move the kinds of numbers of cells that I said I could.....and I, thanks to the response from this forum, have exceeded that by a large number.

My original supplier ran out of EVE cells and so I switched to the supplier that came in second when I negotiated with them as most guys have been of the mind that they would prefer the Eve cells as long as we can get them

That may change when the cells I have had shipped via Air Freight to Craig have been tested and we have those results.

Since I am in the US people get the advantage of having someone here to coordinate and provide customer service. Together we have more bargaining power and when there is a problem they are, I presume, much more eager to make it right rather than risk losing a purchaser that spends this kind of money with them.

So far, of the cells delivered, there has been one cell that was slightly damaged in shipping and that buyer has been compensated with a small refund, even though the cell still tests perfectly and is completely serviceable.

There has also been one instance in which the freight forwarder in China received two orders from the same company but different agents at the same time. They mixed up the order and so my buyer got 8 108ah eve cells instead of the 4 280ah cells he ordered. I arranged for 4 replacement cells to be shipped to my buyer within 24 hours (I think it was 24, may have been 36 or 48. Something like that) from here in the states at my expense and I am dealing with the supplier on it.

No, I am not in China.
I am currently in Ohio, but I travel a LOT in my RV. My official address is in Michigan where my son lives. My wife, that son, and my daughter have a small advertising business that I started 4 years ago and I travel selling advertising. MI, IN, OH, KY, OK, IL. MO, TN, VA, GA, and FL as of, but growing all the time.

My son is helping with the cells when needed to reship, and he may start building some battery packs this winter as well.

My contacts were cultivated a few months ago when I perceived a need for someone to facilitate better prices by coordinating the purchases and buying as one entity. I started negotiations with suppliers and narrowed it down to 2 and then when one made a small mistake that was the deciding factor. Both of the final two suppliers, once given some information on me, my history, and my current business, were willing to give me a very good price based on their belief that I could move the kinds of numbers of cells that I said I could.....and I, thanks to the response from this forum, have exceeded that by a large number.

My original supplier ran out of EVE cells and so I switched to the supplier that came in second when I negotiated with them as most guys have been of the mind that they would prefer the Eve cells as long as we can get them

That may change when the cells I have had shipped via Air Freight to Craig have been tested and we have those results.

Since I am in the US people get the advantage of having someone here to coordinate and provide customer service. Together we have more bargaining power and when there is a problem they are, I presume, much more eager to make it right rather than risk losing a purchaser that spends this kind of money with them.

So far, of the cells delivered, there has been one cell that was slightly damaged in shipping and that buyer has been compensated with a small refund, even though the cell still tests perfectly and is completely serviceable.

There has also been one instance in which the freight forwarder in China received two orders from the same company but different agents at the same time. They mixed up the order and so my buyer got 8 108ah eve cells instead of the 4 280ah cells he ordered. I arranged for 4 replacement cells to be shipped to my buyer within 24 hours (I think it was 24, may have been 36 or 48. Something like that) from here in the states at my expense and I am dealing with the supplier on it.
Hello,
Hooo I see, i'm in Europe... Sad I can't get advantages of your connections...?
For what I can see, I contacted let's say 10 suppliers and they got the same price per cell (well...+-10%) but shipping is the deciding factor. For the same pack of 16 x 280Ah, it goes from 300$ to 550$.

I am an eneloop fan. I have some I bought when they were first released back in 2006 and I still use them for things. I have never had one leak. They do not have the capacity they used to, but they still hold a charge and are amazing.

The general capacity listed for most Lifepo4 cells is 2000 cycles. It doesn't matter what their amp hour rating is. EVE claims a 3500 cycle life if the cells are mounted in a fixture to prevent expansion of the cells. And this is charging and discharging at 1C rates. But they do state .5C rates are standard.
Like you I got mine from early 2006 and they still work pretty good, the white ones I think 1900mah, they are hands down the best batteries I got...from the same period I got other brands that are down to nothing in capacity if not dead, without even talking about the low self discharge that make those eneloop suitable for clocks and remotes... I agree they are amazing vs the competition.

hOoo I did not know about preventing expansion of cells...to prevent gas to be builded in cells..?
I'm planning on 280ah x 16 (48V) and only using a 5kw inverter, meaning 120A at most, I will be under 0.5C discharge rate. You have a link or something about the prevention of batteries expansion and the impact on cycles..?
Here in Europe lot people are fond of Pylontech batteries, each are 2.4kwh / 48v we can connect them in parallel for more capacity. Bms is included in the box. They cost 900€ a piece (2.4kwh). But they are given for 6000 cycles.
If needed, more info here :

So, it's let's say twice the price but also twice battery life... And no need to connect busbar and things..it's all plug and play and you can add a new pack in 5 mins... I still have not decided what to buy.

Attachments

• 9k=.jpg
    9k=.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You have a link or something about the prevention of batteries expansion and the impact on cycles..?
I will attach the spec sheet I have for the EVE cells. Don't let it throw you. I asked EVE and they told me the idea is to build a fixture that is strong enough the prevent the cells from expanding. Within the cell is a spiral wound pouch and they can delaminate over time if not prevented from expanding. If you search the forum you will find discussions related to this. One of the threads is here. I plan to use .5 inch plywood and threaded rods. Simple but effective.

I can't comment on the Pylontech batteries batteries or their 6000 cycle life warranty. The price does look good. Needless to say if you decide to go with a DIY built, your cost will be much less.

Attachments

• EVE LF280N-72174  Specification.pdf
    682 KB · Views: 25
I will attach the spec sheet I have for the EVE cells. Don't let it throw you. I asked EVE and they told me the idea is to build a fixture that is strong enough the prevent the cells from expanding. Within the cell is a spiral wound pouch and they can delaminate over time if not prevented from expanding. If you search the forum you will find discussions related to this. One of the threads is here. I plan to use .5 inch plywood and threaded rods. Simple but effective.

I can't comment on the Pylontech batteries batteries or their 6000 cycle life warranty. The price does look good. Needless to say if you decide to go with a DIY built, your cost will be much less.
Thanks a lot for the link and pdf, I will look at them. I'm planning on building a concrete box for my cells cause they will be in our cellar which is underground, I do not want chemicals from cells to go in our stores food for this reason the box have to be sealed, I also wanted a protection against fire...so concrete it will be.

Edit: I've read your pdf about Eve and their test procedure and the 300kg of pressure per cell.and it's very informative...! Thanks for it.

Last edited:
Have you received cells from them that are Grade B? What doesn't meet the spec?
Hi,
I suppose you still did not got your cells, i want to buy cells but...I'm still going back and forth between those cheap cells and for example a Pylontech system, all in one box with included bms, they can be chained up to 8...available in 2.4 or 3.2kwh and guaranted for 6000 cycles....
I do not know what are you planing to do with your cells but did you looked at Pylontech..?
They are destined to houses or small companies, obviously not for Evs.
I'm able to build the system with those Eve or Lishen..but I'm kind of unsure of their longevity... and perhaps it's better to pay twice the price for a system that is already build and warranted...with twice as many cycles and super easy to move.
What is your point of view...?
Thanks

Within the cell is a spiral wound pouch and they can delaminate over time if not prevented from expanding.

I wonder if it takes a certain C rate to cause this action.

Can you ask them if the C rate is 0.2 or less if this is still a concern?

I would guess that it takes a minimum amount of current to cause a physical movement like that but I have guessed wrong before ?

I am fairly sure the lower C rate is still a concern. I just took apart my 16s pack and some of the cells did expand a little.
I don't think mine are a problem but if they weren't in a compression fixture it probably would be worse.
And I never came near .2 C
I charged at 12A so 12/280 = .043C
Hopefully that is correct.

Back