diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

I did some searching and sent out a Request For Quote on Alibaba looking for a different supplier for 280Ah cells.
I read all about Amy and Xuba. Even with all the guidance, some people still seem to have troubles. Their prices weren't the best, so I ordered my first 4 from UNIS. They work great, but, for some reason, I couldn't get them to send me a new label to replace one that was peeled back in shipping.
Emily from Shenzhen Basen answered my RFQ with an offer of $77.40 per cell. MOQ = 4. She says they are Grade A new cells.
Shipping is $268.00. With the Alibaba service fee, a batch of 16 came up to $1536.53 delivered to my door via FedEx (after they get off the ship).
I ordered two sets of 16.
Now, we wait...
Hi Have you got your cells yet: Rosco From Australia

New to the group and after reading all these past post, I just placed an order of 8 of the EVE 280ah 3.2v cells as per Sheila from Basen, $85 per cell plus shipping. From what I was seeing it sounded like a decent price??? Now comes the wait, what was said earlier something about “the slow boat from China”. Don’t you guy stress any buying batteries this way??? I’m not sure if I’ll be able to sleep until they get here.

New to the group and after reading all these past post, I just placed an order of 8 of the EVE 280ah 3.2v cells as per Sheila from Basen, $85 per cell plus shipping. From what I was seeing it sounded like a decent price??? Now comes the wait, what was said earlier something about “the slow boat from China”. Don’t you guy stress any buying batteries this way??? I’m not sure if I’ll be able to sleep until they get here.
The first couple orders, you get a little stressed due to the length of time between order and delivery.
After you experience the process, you realize that the vendor doesn't get paid until you acknowledge that you received the product intact. They want you to get your product as much as you do. At that point, it's about verification of quality.
Keep your patience.

The first couple orders, you get a little stressed due to the length of time between order and delivery.
After you experience the process, you realize that the vendor doesn't get paid until you acknowledge that you received the product intact. They want you to get your product as much as you do. At that point, it's about verification of quality.
Keep your patience.
Do you confirm you received it before you verify quality or do you wait until after you’ve verified?

Do you confirm you received it before you verify quality or do you wait until after you’ve verified?
Well alibaba just assumes you got them if over 30 some odd days and releases the money... it has happened to several people, and to myself... this Friday makes 40days since shipped for my order....UPS does have my batteries and are inbound to Colorado from California... If the cells are damaged I have seen other thread where the seller sends replacements...

Well alibaba just assumes you got them if over 30 some odd days and releases the money... it has happened to several people, and to myself... this Friday makes 40days since shipped for my order....UPS does have my batteries and are inbound to Colorado from California... If the cells are damaged I have seen other thread where the seller sends replacements...
If you don’t extend the delivery time. You can extend the time for receipt confirmation.

I just finished a capacity test for my 280ah EVE 2p24s battery wall. I had just put the cells in randomly without testing them so the weakest two cells limited the whole pack.

I ran the test with a space heater at 1590 watts for the duration. Started with the cells floating at 3.4v (so not full), and finished when the first hit 2.5v.

The results were 528.6 AH, or about 94.4% rated capacity. Also 41.0 KWH.

I had a few groups a 3.08v at the end, which could have probably pulled full capacity. Probably could get a few more % capacity by moving cells around.

They were 4381.27 on the credit card delivered so $107/kwh usable

about 58-60f for the test

voltages:

Last edited:
Yes Emily Ping said my 20 batteries are (or were) on the ONE APUS. Unfortunately. So I expect at least another month of waiting. Not happy.
Emily let me know a few weeks ago that they’d decided to ship replacements rather than wait for the unloading of the APUS ONE. Today I received notice that the replacements have arrived at the Long Beach Port and have been transferred to the FedEx system for delivery. Great news for me...hopefully in a few days I’ll have them as I’m in the Virginia City Nevada area and truck delivery shouldn’t take long.

I also just ordered (8) of the Lishen 272AH LiFePO4 Prismatic cells from Emily Peng at Basen. I was looking at the Link for the 280AH EVE batteries and while the qty said they had several thousand in stock, both Basen reps I spoke with said they sold out the previous week and apologized that the count was showing wrong, and directed me to the Lishen 272 as they can output over 280AH and had those in stock because they said they were not sure they would get any more EVEs in stock. I saw Max's post about the cargo ship loss, and wonder if they ended up using up lots of the Basen stock of EVEs for replacement of customers who lost theirs at sea. My price was $75/cell plus shipping. So with the Daly 250A BMS I mention below, and shipping and PayPal fees, my total was $999.60.

Anyway I was just looking at that Heltech smart BMS you posted, Peter, and I'm probably reading the specs wrong (I'm a first timer newb), but it looks like the voltages they are posting in spec page are alarmingly high? It says charging voltage is string plus 4.2v so I would interpret they are going to charge your 8s string at 33.4v instead of the 3.65 each max total of 29.2v. Am I missing something?

For my set up I discussed BMS with Daly and would have liked two parallel strings of 4 cells running two BMS at 12v, but they said their BMS doesn't support parallel and that I'd need to go with the 8s 24v Smart BMS instead (putting all 8 cells in series) for my bank. In my case I wanted to have extra capacity so I am going with the big 250A BMS. The model of BMS is the DL-R32W-F08S0250ATJ-MM00

Anyway I'm also only going to be running a small infrequently used solar setup for outbuilding, with this setup, and starting with 4x 12v 200w panels. I don't think I'll care how long it takes to charge this bank, as I won't expect to drain it much, and in TX we get lots of sun.

Hopefully I am not missing something incredibly stupid!
Why can’t you wire up like this?
1612381999787.jpeg
You’d only need one BMS and you’d have the equivalent of two parallel strings. It’s what I am doing with my soon to be received 280ah batteries to have a 560ah 12vdc nominal battery bank.

Emily let me know a few weeks ago that they’d decided to ship replacements rather than wait for the unloading of the APUS ONE. Today I received notice that the replacements have arrived at the Long Beach Port and have been transferred to the FedEx system for delivery. Great news for me...hopefully in a few days I’ll have them as I’m in the Virginia City Nevada area and truck delivery shouldn’t take long.
Well, all 20 batteries showed up today and they all look great and tested out at voltages between 3.291 and 3.297 so that's pretty consistent.

Out of the 20, 4 have a little oxidation in the threads of the terminal posts, at least enough to that I couldn't finger thread them all the way down. I could use likely use an Allen wrench and thread them down but I don't what to mess them up. Any recommendation on the best way to clean these internal threads? I have dialect grease, dry Teflon lube, and silicone lube but don't want to start squirting things into the threads unnecessarily. I have a proper tap and die set but the post thread are really deep enough to use them. I also have some green scrubbing pad I was thinking of cutting into small pieces and threading them in and out to clear the threads. But, I'm hoping someone here has the "proper" solution. Anyway very happy so far! Emily Peng came thru for me after the APUS ONE disaster!

I experience that all the time, and don't see it as an issue.
Just take care screwing them in and you'll be fine.
I always start screwing in reverse, until I feel the 'click'.
Then go forward gently, just to be sure.

Edit:
If I did think there was an issue, I would use one of these:

Taps are tapered, whereas these aren't.

Last edited:
Kind of cool - I ordered 40 Basen cells and they came with grub screws. I have only opened 1 box so far but I hope all of them have the grub screws. They look like they are tapered at the base also which is good. They are 3/4" long, so 19mm
IMG_20210207_140250075.jpg

The busbars are wider also, 20mm rather than 15mm.
I received those from one other vendor as well; a needed upgrade for these high amperage cells.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to ship these cells after receiving them?

I'm trying to sell some spares and all of the shipping services are acting like it's plutonium.

They came to me via FedEx in these boxes. Why is this so hard?

Most folks just don't disclose the contents as bulk batteries. Assuming they are shipped ground only and below 30% SOC, it shouldn't matter.

Has anyone tried to ship these cells after receiving them?

I'm trying to sell some spares and all of the shipping services are acting like it's plutonium.

They came to me via FedEx in these boxes. Why is this so hard?
My company ships a bunch of products with batteries and also loose batteries. We have a compliance team that deals with proper labeling and other compliance issues. My understanding is that cells like these require a dangerous good classification with proper labeling dependent on the chemistry.

It's not that these things can't be shipped, but it's not like shipping a box of rocks. You ship enough batteries without doing it right and eventually something is going to go sideways. You just hope it doesn't happen at 30k feet in the air. There are a lot more "thermal events" with batteries during shipping than you ever hear about.

There are also a bunch of batteries shipped that are not properly documented and out of compliance. I have no idea if these battery vendors are playing by the rules or not with their shipments via fedex. Are the boxes clearly labeled with battery info?

My company ships a bunch of products with batteries and also loose batteries. We have a compliance team that deals with proper labeling and other compliance issues. My understanding is that cells like these require a dangerous good classification with proper labeling dependent on the chemistry.

I'm not trying to get around the rules. I certainly don't want someone getting hurt if I avoided doing the right thing. These cells came all the way from China without any markings. They arrived by FedEx ground, so I want to send them ground.
I'll print out the labels and apply them. What is the UN number for LiFePO4?

Most folks just don't disclose the contents as bulk batteries. Assuming they are shipped ground only and below 30% SOC, it shouldn't matter.
According to your chart, I need a contract with UPS to ship these. (>300Wh). How does all that happen? Just go to an office and ask? FedEx is similar, but they don't give you the resources to get it done.

Not sure of the details, but here is the contract in question.

If its just a one-off shipment, and its under 30kg, and I was doing this as a non commercial shipment, I would just discharge to 10% or so, box it up and send it. Properly protected and at low SOC they are pretty minimal risk, especially compared to a laptop battery or similar at full charge.

Not sure of the details, but here is the contract in question.

If its just a one-off shipment, and its under 30kg, and I was doing this as a non commercial shipment, I would just discharge to 10% or so, box it up and send it. Properly protected and at low SOC they are pretty minimal risk, especially compared to a laptop battery or similar at full charge.
Thanks Luthj,
I am trying to ship 16 - 280Ah cells. 4 boxes of 4. (about 23kg each)
There is a definite chance that this will be a repeat thing. That's why I want to get it right.

Back