New System for Van Camper - 12V or 24V?

rmaddy

Full-time Solar-powered Trailer Life
If money isn’t a concern, buying the 24V stuff is fine. However, a few more panels and a ‘big’ charge controller may cost significantly less than a 24V fridge

My 54 quart (1.8CF) 12V/24V fridge was under $300. You don't need to buy a $1000 Dometic.

12VoltInstalls

Photon Sorcerer
My 54 quart (1.8CF) 12V/24V fridge was under $300. You don't need to buy a $1000 Dometic.
Ahh. Different animal.
I wasn’t referring to the cooler fridges- I was talking a traditional 12-15CF household type with a door. I’m using a -5CF under-counter type but at this point I wish I’d bought a 10CF.
1.8CF sorta keeps the shopping options down and on-hands low. The <5CF I’m using now was only $150; the DC household-types are a thousand dollars and more. Probably more now.

rmaddy

Full-time Solar-powered Trailer Life
Ahh. Different animal.
I wasn’t referring to the cooler fridges- I was talking a traditional 12-15CF household type with a door. I’m using a -5CF under-counter type but at this point I wish I’d bought a 10CF.
1.8CF sorta keeps the shopping options down and on-hands low. The <5CF I’m using now was only $150; the DC household-types are a thousand dollars and more. Probably more now.
All good points but this thread is about a camper van. You don't want to put a 10CF (or even 5CF) fridge in a van. I'm in a 7x14 trailer which has a lot more space than a van and I could barely fit in my 1.8CF fridge.

And personally I can't stand those "dorm fridge" types. The whine they make when the cycle keeps me awake. I've stayed in enough hotel rooms over the years with those kinds of fridges. Usually the first thing I do is unplug the fridge.

Swamplizard

Ready to unplug and wander the USA
Florida is tough due to sun/heat/humidity levels - we ended up with a roof A/C - lowest profile I could find at 8-inches, cools the van fine but we are foam insulated throughout and have two small tinted windows only. It draws about 1200watts so we went 24volt with inverter/mppt/charger combo unit. It can run 4-5 hours if it is cycling (so at night typically) off battery and we can shore power at camp sites. If we were to boondock more we would probably pick up a small genny.

12VoltInstalls

Photon Sorcerer
Yes but the OP stated that it needed to go in favor of a 24V fridge.
And I responded with an idea that could inform them that they still have the option to use 12V and run a power-thrifty 120V fridge should they choose.

OP mentioned 24V fridges and they may not know how expensive they are. The compressor and ammonia portables are a lot less money but not everyone wants to live out of a cooler. They may not mind?
I know I want more fridge space - advantage though is this thing I’ve got shows 60-80W while running which is pretty good imho.