diy solar

diy solar

New system layout issues / q's.

Unfortunately no.
Deye, has agreed to Sol-ark's terms. And, only sells the split-phase configuration through Sol-ark.
And, you need the split-phase configuration, to have direct control over the Microinverters, in your situation.
It can be done. But, would be a lot more complicated.
And, not worth the added expense and labor.

Got it.

So this was amazing. Thanks so much! You've given me the direction I needed! I appreciate your time.

I'm going to go away and start reading up on the Sol-Ark stuff, look into micro-inverter options and transfer switch options.
Have fun and be safe.

Have fun and be safe.
I guess I should have asked about inductive loads on the Sol-Ark? The word 'inductive' doesn't appear in there anywhere. The LVX6048 was attractive because I have inductive loads (3/4hp well pump though my VFD might abstract that inductive load away because I think it does a soft start). But other inductive loads like A/C, air compressor could be present.

As long as you keep the two legs well balanced. It can handle most loads. It's only limitations are higher loads (over 4500w), on one leg.

Split-phase through Sol-ark, only.
$11k CAD for a Sol Ark 12k.

If I decided that digging a trench from garage panel to pole is in the realm of possibility; does that radically change the equation? I can use my extra conduit space to get from where the generator is now to the garage panel (annotated drone image attached, South is left).

The LVX6048 doesn't have a separate generator input so I would still need some sort of transfer switch on the AC Input side to switch between Grid and Generator when I want to charge batteries. But I could get 2 LVX6048's. If I run the transfer switch manually on the rare occasions where I run out of battery on long outages (once or twice a year), that's not too onerous.

If the Sol Ark is still the right answer, then so be it.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 6.06.16 AM.png

I think you could have a topology like this.
Code:
                             A
                             T<-generator
|<-master_breaker<-inverter<-S<-poco
|->branch_breaker->house
|->branch_breaker->garage->office

I think you could have a topology like this.
Code:
                             A
                             T<-generator
|<-master_breaker<-inverter<-S<-poco
|->branch_breaker->house
|->branch_breaker->garage->office
"poco"?

But I see. So essentially the inverter is just a UPS. When the grid is active, it doesn't supply power. I guess I lose the ability to add on a bunch of PV and shaving or what have you.

"poco"?

But I see. So essentially the inverter is just a UPS. When the grid is active, it doesn't supply power. I guess I lose the ability to add on a bunch of PV and shaving or what have you.
poco=power company

Correct you would lose the ability to shave.

If I decided that digging a trench from garage panel to pole is in the realm of possibility; does that radically change the equation?
Absolutely
I would put 2 conduits in this trench. One for DC solar circuits. And one for generator power.
Use any inverter you want. And put the transfer switch in your new power building, with the inverter/s.

I asked mppsolar for information a few days ago and just received a response that they have an LVX6048WP with a separate generator input that can also be an AC Output. https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/LVX6048WP.pdf ... I'll see if I can find the manual.

I can get 3 of them for the price of a Sol Ark from the cheapest supplier. (one of my concerns is exceeding 4800w per leg when the A/C comes on or while using our dryer, etc.

I asked mppsolar for information a few days ago and just received a response that they have an LVX6048WP with a separate generator input that can also be an AC Output. https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/LVX6048WP.pdf ... I'll see if I can find the manual.

I can get 3 of them for the price of a Sol Ark from the cheapest supplier. (one of my concerns is exceeding 4800w per leg when the A/C comes on or while using our dryer, etc.
The waitlist is at about 400 units right now and they are stuck in a container in Taiwan. :) I am waiting to order two from watts247 myself. :p

The waitlist is at about 400 units right now and they are stuck in a container in Taiwan. :) I am waiting to order two from watts247 myself. :p
You're a real buzzkill. Anyone ever tell you that? ?

Is watts247 one of the diysolarforum suppliers? I was told by PLin@mppsolar to order direct from them (because I'm in Canada apparently).

You're a real buzzkill. Anyone ever tell you that? ?

Is watts247 one of the diysolarforum suppliers? I was told by PLin@mppsolar to order direct from them (because I'm in Canada apparently).
Watts247, is a great distributor.
Customer service is spot on.
I haven't purchased any of my equipment from him. But, I have no reservations with recommending him.

Back