diy solar

diy solar

New System Whole House Near LaCrosse WI

Just Remember that if you go with SMA the Sunny Boys need to be set to OFF GRID. Also i have found that Trophy Battery (Dan Keaton), has checked with his engineers and tell me that his batteries work with the Sunny Islands Com Protocol in a closed loop.
Great point on the off-grid, this is expected to be and stay off-grid. Only a few years ago, I said only a fool would be off the grid unless there was no grid close. But I see that has changed for many reasons that I am not going to list at this time. The love of the independence, the better price of storage, and the concern for grid stability sum it up.

Great point on the off-grid, this is expected to be and stay off-grid. Only a few years ago, I said only a fool would be off the grid unless there was no grid close. But I see that has changed for many reasons that I am not going to list at this time. The love of the independence, the better price of storage, and the concern for grid stability sum it up.
I'm OFF GRID and had alot of issues with my Bunny Boy not being set to OFF Grid, Thanks to Hedges it has helped immensely. Now I'm looking at Trophy Battery to do Closed Loop Coms.

I'm OFF GRID and had alot of issues with my Bunny Boy not being set to OFF Grid, Thanks to Hedges it has helped immensely. Now I'm looking at Trophy Battery to do Closed Loop Coms.
I have been reading Hedges comments for a couple of years, and very thankful he is a contributing member of this forum, he is wonderful!

Yes, this will be a roof installation, on a standing seam roof, would there be an advantage to standoffs in that case?

I would use standoffs for shingled roof (plan to do one shortly.) About 7" high, should provide better cooling.

I haven't used standing seam. Obviously, relies on how well the metal roof is nailed down, gets a bit of structural strength from the bent seam.
Is there high wind to be concerned about? I don't know, maybe some nailing schedule around planned attach points would help? I could imagine a bracket made of thicker sheet metal under the attach point, but don't know if those are made. Maybe the seams and nailing are closely enough spaced that the strength is sufficient.

Just Remember that if you go with SMA the Sunny Boys need to be set to OFF GRID. Also i have found that Trophy Battery (Dan Keaton), has checked with his engineers and tell me that his batteries work with the Sunny Islands Com Protocol in a closed loop.

Certainly off-grid is better, wider limits to ride through generator fluctuations (if you have one). Newer -40 and -41 models are UL-1741-SA Rule-21. Apparently similar settings for Puerto Rico or other locations might work better. But they also have off-grid which would be best.

SMA America in their video recommends the Sunny Boys be set to "offgrid" when used on-grid behind Sunny Island. Wonder why, some performance/functionality issues when used according to written instructions from SMA Germany?

If not on-grid, UL-1741-SA not required. You can get older models like SB-5000US (through 8000US), which are transformer type and configurable either positive or negative ground. I bought a pallet of new old stock. I connected them as "backup" because I'm on grid, but not grid they can be "offgrid"

I also bought a TriPower, but it is 277/480Y. Can be programmed lower, but not down to 120/208Y, so transformer is required. I don't recommend going that route; use three separate 208V single-phase Sunny Boys if you want 3-phase.

Reactions: TRW
We may do that, this will be in the country, 10 miles from the river, and this will be an ideal application for a proper angle roof. Thanks a bunch for the offer, send me a message if you are comfortable with it. You raise a great question on the snow, and I know what you mean about melting off, but this is an issue we need to figure out.
Just took these today. Stevens.jpgClinic.jpgJoebegn.jpg

That last one has to be a foot of snow near the end. My array is completely clear but it is at 60 degrees off vertical. I did note the city's ground mounts at about 45 degrees are just about clear now after the warm weather over the weekend. This just isn't the right location for a roof mount. If there is room for a ground mount it is best to go that route.

Drive around and look at various roof mounts, the panels just don't clear as the cold weather (-20F) followed the last snowfall with some wind to drift it on roofs.

Just took these today. View attachment 133577View attachment 133579View attachment 133580

That last one has to be a foot of snow near the end. My array is completely clear but it is at 60 degrees off vertical. I did note the city's ground mounts at about 45 degrees are just about clear now after the warm weather over the weekend. This just isn't the right location for a roof mount. If there is room for a ground mount it is best to go that route.

Drive around and look at various roof mounts, the panels just don't clear as the cold weather (-20F) followed the last snowfall with some wind to drift it on roofs.
I have a wife who I can send up and clean that snow off when it is too slippery for me! I am encouraging a steeper roof, for snow and winter angle, so we will see what happens. I have a dumb question, are there any secrets to shed snow better on these pannels?

I would use standoffs for shingled roof (plan to do one shortly.) About 7" high, should provide better cooling.

I haven't used standing seam. Obviously, relies on how well the metal roof is nailed down, gets a bit of structural strength from the bent seam.
Is there high wind to be concerned about? I don't know, maybe some nailing schedule around planned attach points would help? I could imagine a bracket made of thicker sheet metal under the attach point, but don't know if those are made. Maybe the seams and nailing are closely enough spaced that the strength is sufficient.
Again some great points, I will do some research on anchoring the standing seam roof, and then the panels also. And I will see about inventing an angle that can add strength and stay hidden in the seam.

I have a wife who I can send up and clean that snow off when it is too slippery for me! I am encouraging a steeper roof, for snow and winter angle, so we will see what happens. I have a dumb question, are there any secrets to shed snow better on these pannels?
Best is to have an adjustable mount so in the winter you can tip it more vertical. The added benefit is you get better PV yield in winter due to the angle. I have mine currently set at 60 degrees off vertical, at winter solstice the angle would be 65 degrees. When the array is tilted like mine, it won't accumulate much snow. Even after the recent snow we had, my array was clear in about a day. This photo was taken before snow.
mt-solar-mount-jpg.121994

If you do want roof mount, you will want at least a 8/12 pitch to get the snow off. I'd recommend black framed panels also. I have found the snow will melt, slide down and hit the silver frames and freeze to the frame. With a black frame, the frame would be warmer in any sunlight and let the snow slide down.

Only place snow remains is on the panels.
Think that is due to heat from the building warming roof?
First photo has snow on the roof steel. Usually in winter we get a little sun and the snow will slide off. Best with a dark color. You get some heat underneath from the sun heating the steel. With panels having airspace under them, well, it just stays frozen.

We get roofs go down around here in winter.

I just took photo of my array. We had about 8 inches of snow on Jan 27th and 28th. Mine was clear on the 29th. winter.jpg

Mine are ground mount. Adjustable 25-55deg. I sweep the snow off with a shop broom. They melt off any remnant with any direct sun in under an hour.

You can get extendable squeegees for big ground mounts.

Reactions: TRW
Back