diy solar

diy solar

New to forum and already long time interested in solar. 4.7 kw on roof

arigit

Hello,

10 years ago, living in CA, I put solar on the roof and has been great. No more PGE bills for that. Living in CA it is basically a NO brainer to go for that where 9 months sun will help you pretty good.

Now is the time to expand on that.

So will have some questions for ideas I have.

Arie

Welcome to the forum!!!

Keep us posted on your progress and ask lots of questions.

BTW: What part of Cazy-Cal do you live in?

Expanding your system probably depends on what you have and what you want. So when you post your questions/ideas please let us know about that. Best of luck Arigit!

Welcome to the forum!!!

Keep us posted on your progress and ask lots of questions.

BTW: What part of Cazy-Cal do you live in?
Thanks.

I am in the Hayward (Eastbay) area.

I am looking to build a mobile charging station that I use when I am home and can take where ever I need to go.

Am updating the electric boxes etc on the house. (was really old) and will add possibility to charge from there from the solar.
Did not make a plan yet but will soon!

Am updating the electric boxes etc on the house. (was really old) and will add possibility to charge from there from the solar.
Did not make a plan yet but will soon!

This is the perfect time to plan ahead and set things up with a critical loads panel so that in the future if you add battery backup you are all set.

Direct me to where I can find the info on that...
Hmmmm..... I am not sure there is a single place to point you. Lets look at a diagram

1635183645674.png

Most battery backup systems are not large enough to power the whole house. Consequently, it is desirable to have the 'critical loads' on a separate breaker box that the battery system can drive while the non-critical loads remain off.

Critical loads might include
Refrigerators/freezers
Selected lights
Selected outlets for computers & communication gear
Selected kitchen appliances.

The non critical loads are typically high amp things that you could live without during a blackout. These might include things like an electric oven or an Air Conditioner.

A recent innovation that you might consider are the new 'smart panels' (Span is one example). These allow a single breaker panel, but they are loaded with electronics that allow you to select what circuits are powered during a power outage and which ones are not. These also typically provide a ton of information about power usage down to the circuit level of granularity. These are new enough on the market that I still have a lot of questions about the long term reliability and cost. However, if the main panel is being replaced anyway, the cost might not be as bad.

Note: I am not saying they don't have good reliability... it is just that they are new enough that there is no track record. If I were to install one of these, I would want to understand the warranty and understand what it takes to repair one if there is a failure.

Hmmmm..... I am not sure there is a single place to point you. Lets look at a diagram

View attachment 70124

Most battery backup systems are not large enough to power the whole house. Consequently, it is desirable to have the 'critical loads' on a separate breaker box that the battery system can drive while the non-critical loads remain off.

Critical loads might include
Refrigerators/freezers
Selected lights
Selected outlets for computers & communication gear
Selected kitchen appliances.

The non critical loads are typically high amp things that you could live without during a blackout. These might include things like an electric oven or an Air Conditioner.

A recent innovation that you might consider are the new 'smart panels' (Span is one example). These allow a single breaker panel, but they are loaded with electronics that allow you to select what circuits are powered during a power outage and which ones are not. These also typically provide a ton of information about power usage down to the circuit level of granularity. These are new enough on the market that I still have a lot of questions about the long term reliability and cost. However, if the main panel is being replaced anyway, the cost might not be as bad.

Note: I am not saying they don't have good reliability... it is just that they are new enough that there is no track record. If I were to install one of these, I would want to understand the warranty and understand what it takes to repair one if there is a failure.
Got it... Will look into that....

Again thx....

Back