diy solar

diy solar

New to Lithium Setup would like some advice

noel33

I just ordered from CaTL (8) 3.2 volt 310AH cells. My current vehicle configuration is two 100ah AGM batteries underneath the VAN and a Xantrex Prowatt 2000 inverter tied into a Go Power three way transfer Switch. I also have a 100watt Amp Solar panel with a 30amp controller. I also have a 2800 Onan microlite generator underneath the Van which it's source is the gas tank which I like. My refrigerators are drawing less than 4 amps @ 12v so the current setup works great I never really had a problem on any of my trips. The inverter handles coffee maker and microwave without firing up generator.

The A/C is what I really need in Stealth Mode. The Generator is two loud for night use.
My new Coleman Mach 2 NDQ soft start will only draw 11amps @ 120 on high cool about 9 amps in low cool where I would most likely keep it. I was thinking about leaving the AGM's the way they are.

Installing the 8 cells in the RV I have a location that's well ventilated and getting a 3000w inverter replacing the 2000 watt xantrex.
Do I wire them in 8S 24V? purchase a Aims 24v 100amp Charger so I can run off generator/shore power? I guess I would need a BMS rated for at least 150amps with 8 leads for balancing and freezing protection? When the Van is running I would also need a 60amp DC to DC charger?

If anyone can give some ideas I would be grateful a bit overwhelming.

Thanks Noel

3000w inverter at 12v
3000w / 12.8v = 234a.
Are you really interested in upping the wiring and fuses to that level?

Do I wire them in 8S 24V? purchase a Aims 24v 100amp Charger so I can run off generator/shore power? I guess I would need a BMS rated for at least 150amps with 8 leads for balancing and freezing protection? When the Van is running I would also need a 60amp DC to DC charger?
Seem like a sound plan.
You need to see how much extra amps you alternator can provide. 60a DC-DC uses more than 60a. And is that rated at source voltage or destination voltage? That is quite a lot.

3000w / 12.8v = 234a.
Are you really interested in upping the wiring and fuses to that level?

Seem like a sound plan.
You need to see how much extra amps you alternator can provide. 60a DC-DC uses more than 60a. And is that rated at source voltage or destination voltage? That is quite a lot.
its a 24v setup so its only 125amp already have fuse for 150amp distance from bank to inverter will be inches. I am concerned about alternator its current output is 280amp @ 12v. the setup for the AGM is a simple solenoid from car battery to coach battery which has worked good for years. Maybe should just charge the bank during the day with generator. probably the cheapest solution. Still trying to figure out what is the best BMS for this application DALY?

its a 24v setup so its only 125amp already have fuse for 150amp distance from bank to inverter will be inches. I am concerned about alternator its current output is 280amp @ 12v. the setup for the AGM is a simple solenoid from car battery to coach battery which has worked good for years. Maybe should just charge the bank during the day with generator. probably the cheapest solution. Still trying to figure out what is the best BMS for this application DALY?
Also this bank will only be dedicated to A/C which is 1200watts so with 30% cycle of A/C I am guessing that a 310AH cells at 24v should get me 7320 watts so I should be able to run for 6 hours? even with a 90% efficient pure sine wave inverter? does that sound right?

I am concerned about alternator its current output is 280amp @ 12v.
I installed a 30a Victron Smart DC-DC in a friends van and it is spectacular. It auto senses increased alternator voltage and turns on and off all by itself (no IGN wire).

How much do you drive?

7320 watts
Keep the units correct, it reduces errors, confusion and errors.

7320wh / 1200w = 6.1h @ 100% duty
30% duty cycles is pretty good/low. Not Tucson or Mojave i assume.

How certain are you of the 1200w number? 90% inverter efficiency sounds good/low too... too low?

Back