diy solar

diy solar

New to power storage

CabinJohn

I have a cabin that is off the grid. I am planning on doing solar but not just now. I need the money to get the cabin ready to live in. My question is if I get a couple of batteries a inverter charger and a generator that is not of the inverter type will I be able to run the generator during the day to use the power to work on the cabin and at the same time charge the lithium ion batteries without damaging electronics on my grid. Thanks in advance.

will I be able to run the generator during the day to use the power to work on the cabin and at the same time charge the lithium ion batteries without damaging electronics on my grid. Thanks in advance.
Yes... up to a limit.

Some of the inverter chargers have a pretty hefty charger that will draw a lot from the generator. The extreme of this would be the inverter taking everything the generator has to charge the batteries. The good news is that some (most these days?) inverter-chargers have settings to limit the amount of charge current. I always think of the charge-limit feature as allowing the user to prevent too high of a C rate charge, but it is equally applicable to limiting the draw on the input.

Back