(New to Solar) I'm trying to run a small 5000 btu air condition in my shed on solar, Can someone tell me what I need/dont need?

I don't know anything about this brand, but there's a 1500W 'all in one' inverter charger unit:

But you would need a solar charge controller then. IIRC there are units that are inverter/chargers with built in solar controller as well. This is getting beyond my scope of experience. My guess is someone more experienced would recommend a 24 or 48V system for running an air conditioner.

I think the Growatt units do everything and they're really popular. You can also get to a higher voltage with your battery bank by utilizing multiple batteries in series.

Here's more info on Growatt:

To get 40 amps per hour, assuming your AC unit uses 4A at 120VAC - you would need 800W of solar panels. So four 200W panels might do it. And that's only during peak solar gain - find the calcs for your locale. Generally solar gain is considered at an average of 5-6 hours per day. A 60A solar controller would charge a 200A lifepo battery. Concievably your battery could continue to power your AC unit for +/- 4 hours after peak solar gain. Likely you wouldn't have enough excess solar gain to recharge the battery as well as power your AC, but you could always charge it off grid power overnight.

Costs would look something like this:
4 200W panels @$220 ea $880
60A capacity inverter/charger AIO $650
200 lifepo4 battery, like a Chins $650
Wiring, fuses, and ancillary bits $150
5000btu AC unit $200

Estimated total $2,530

If it were me I would dig a trench or run an overhead wire from your main house panel to a subpanel in the shed, and install one outlet circuit and one lighting circuit. And buy the air unit, and plug it in. Live happily ever after. Yes, you could do it with an extension cord, but if you have fancy electronics in there you'll likely need a little more power than an extension cord.

Just for giggles...why are you storing electronics in a shed? Why not put them in a spare room in the house?

I wrote this after you posted consumption. Yes, at low speed/draw it might be 250W. I would read the UL label on the unit tag for peak amps running and at start up. Better yet, get one and plug it into a watt meter as suggested, and then you'll know for sure. I would still budget for 4amps at 120VAC, which is 40A at 12VDC.
I buy/resell/repair them, and it has filled 2 rooms, a garage, a 10 x 10 storage, and now a shed, and I just need a junk spot so i can sort through everything and have at least a storage/parts area. Do you think this unit will make a big impact on the electric bill? I'm also looking for something I can monitor the temperature of the storage I can monitor when I'm away on my phone, or have the unit kick on/off at a certain temperature.

AC units are thermostatically controlled. Remote control I don't know about. Mr. Cool and some of the split units have a BT/wifi app, so that you could remote control with a smartphone.

The calc I did for you was based on 4amps at 10 hours a day at thirty cents a kwh. Do you know what your electricity rate is? Generally those things cost $30 to $40 a month to run during the summer. But everybody's rates keep going up. Here in CA we have a tiered rate, and we're always in tier three cuz we use a lot of juice. It starts out about 22 cents then goes up from there. I think we average about 33 cents.

Last month the in-laws came and stayed for a week during one of our heat waves, so all the AC's ran, and they wanted to sleep in the RV, so I plugged that in and its AC ran half the day and night and it pulls 1750 watts - that's nearly 15 amps. Our electric bill was $515. :rolleyes: :unsure::LOL:?‍♂️

They did buy us a $50 gift card for the brewery though. LOL

EDIT: The thought comes to mind it might be time to lease commercial space. [shrug]

AC units are thermostatically controlled. Remote control I don't know about. Mr. Cool and some of the split units have a BT/wifi app, so that you could remote control with a smartphone.

The calc I did for you was based on 4amps at 10 hours a day at thirty cents a kwh. Do you know what your electricity rate is? Generally those things cost $30 to $40 a month to run during the summer. But everybody's rates keep going up. Here in CA we have a tiered rate, and we're always in tier three cuz we use a lot of juice. It starts out about 22 cents then goes up from there. I think we average about 33 cents.

Last month the in-laws came and stayed for a week during one of our heat waves, so all the AC's ran, and they wanted to sleep in the RV, so I plugged that in and its AC ran half the day and night and it pulls 1750 watts - that's nearly 15 amps. Our electric bill was $515. :rolleyes: :unsure::LOL:?‍♂️

They did buy us a $50 gift card for the brewery though. LOL

EDIT: The thought comes to mind it might be time to lease commercial space. [shrug]
Hi, I know its been a while with this thread, but I've ended up finding this for $180:

The guy also threw this into for free, not sure if it helps:

So I have a ac unit, the next steps I'm trying to figure out is how will I exactly get everything to work?

So I'm guessing the first step is to get a storage unit, and move everything out the shed for about a month or two, clean it up from all the mouse drippings, etc, and should I install a cheap carpet, and lift it up? Also to prevent rodents, I'm thinking to lift it up, put wire with sand/rocks and make a like a moat/barrier around the shed.

Then after that, I'm assuming I want at least a pack of R-30 insulation, and it around as much of the shed as possible, then use a staple gun and buy cardboard around the walls?

The one of the final steps is cut out part of the shed, install a window unit, then install the midea, and dig a hole to run the ac cord to my breaker box (I'm assuming I have to get an electrician to do this or upgrade one of my breakers)?

Finally, I need to change the doors on my shed (the ones I have have rotted, and swap out stairs for a ramp, then I'm wondering if I could install that eco-worthy box inside, mount the panel I have, and use the little battery and setup I have to run some small lights/small dehumidifier? I also will run a air purifier and initial setup an ozone generator to get rid of any smells (Not sure the best way to remove the mouse droppings besides just sweep them out with gloves and clean the wood bleach?

So the r-30, dehumidifier, and ac unit should provide enough climate control? I also purchased a cheap oil filled radiator heater for the winter time.

Also for the ac unit, I think I might have to add some type of lumber protection incase it rains/protect against insects?

Just trying to implement this correctly. Thanks for the help!

Well, im glad you shelved the idea of running it off solar as the FIRST iteration because you needed so much more battery and solar panels than what the space probably justifies, it just makes more sense to grid power it until you happen to come up with enough solar stuff at less than full price, to pull it off on the cheap.

If you happened to already have an ev i could scheme up a way to use a small percentage of your battery capacity to run the ac overnight, but if you also charged overnight it would STILL be better to just run it directly from grid. And if you didn’t own some large assemblage of battery capacity already, its a hard sell to buy enough to comfortably run a window unit overnight, if that’s ALL it’s used for.

Back