diy solar

diy solar

New to solar lead battery question

To your actual question: yes can be used for solar BUT check that controller or all-in-one accepts lead acid batteries. (Some controllers limit battery types)
Yes I was looking at a Renogy kit, but im confused about the controller. I will probably need to contact them and ask them. Im also new to this so I dont know alot about it. I also need to get more money for it.

Yes I was looking at a Renogy kit, but im confused about the controller. I will probably need to contact them and ask them. Im also new to this so I dont know alot about it. I also need to get more money for it.
For real. I cant get the whole controller thing either. I do understand to check battery types but beyond that im cross-eyed.

Like: why does a controller say load output? Sure its dc but many things like LED lights use dc so why even get an inverter. Right?
And it has USB ports.
And the big problem for me is solar and batteries connect to the controller. SO that means solar dc in. Well where does it say battery is dc out? Im saying: how do I tell that means solar dc into controller is going to dc out to charge the batteries. Why cant that be labeled like the controller dc output? Do i need to wire batteries to that?

And dont get me started on why some say like 30a but cost $100 less than anothet 30a. Geez

Guess to cheat and do an all-in-one BUT having problem finding a true off-grid.

Anyways good luck. I will let u know how my marine batteries do

The load output is for exactly your example of a string of little dc lights. The controller has a programmable relay inside so that you can turn them on and off at specfic times, or at the very least a simple dusk-to-dawn operation so the small dc load isn't energized during the day when things are charging. But you aren't forced to use the dc-load on the controller.

USB on controllers. Ignore them. Just marketing. The danger is that if the usb outlet on the controller is overloaded, and is part of the main circuitboard, it can take down the whole solar controller. I always recommend simply ignoring the usb outlets on controllers.

So.. battery goes to battery connection on the controller - and you hang everything you want to use downstream off that. Except for if you want to power up a dinky little load with programmable on/off times.

Hey thank u for that info. I picked up 4 of those batteries today. Im concerned about the setup being in my shed cuz it gets hot in there.

So question is: am I in danger having the lead-acid batteries inside where I am? Im on fence cuz batteries get hot running in cars but then again, if inside and connected correctly, I wd have great access.

Btw, the controller thing I just cant seem to nail down oddly, I have complete grasp on everything else.

Btw, thx for usb controller advice. I was thinking to run xmas light strand around camper doorway (u know being outdoory and pretty).

Hey thank u for that info. I picked up 4 of those batteries today. Im concerned about the setup being in my shed cuz it gets hot in there.

So question is: am I in danger having the lead-acid batteries inside where I am? Im on fence cuz batteries get hot running in cars but then again, if inside and connected correctly, I wd have great access.

I've run those Walmart batteries and easily got 5+ years out of them. Just take care of them.

I would not worry about the heat as mine are in a battery box outside in the sun in Texas. However, I would be cautious about having them in an inside space because of the gasses they can vent.

The load output is for exactly your example of a string of little dc lights. The controller has a programmable relay inside so that you can turn them on and off at specfic times, or at the very least a simple dusk-to-dawn operation so the small dc load isn't energized during the day when things are charging. But you aren't forced to use the dc-load on the controller.

USB on controllers. Ignore them. Just marketing. The danger is that if the usb outlet on the controller is overloaded, and is part of the main circuitboard, it can take down the whole solar controller. I always recommend simply ignoring the usb outlets on controllers.

So.. battery goes to battery connection on the controller - and you hang everything you want to use downstream off that. Except for if you want to power up a dinky little load with programmable on/off times.
Took me 5 minutes to find this to reply. (My bad cuz gotta learn forum). So I like idea, and plan to, of running strand of lights off DC controller output. Like the timer. Waiting on controller delivery btw (ordered stuff from China so taking awhile).

My question is: will the light strand ran off controller output reduce any inverter power output? Or better, will it slow battery charge from controller?

Back