diy solar

diy solar

New to solar, mistakes made. Three Phase - Single Phase SPF5000

mtabor

Hey all,

My wife and I have been buying some parts here and there as finances allowed. I have my parts now but only to discover my house is 3phase haha. We went with the SPF5000. I did not want a grid tie. I have no interest in smart meters (we refused it, my power is mine, and past the power pole I don't need the power company knowing when and what time and how much consumed etc) So we went with the growatt to add batteries later. A 5k system for now is enough.

But now I realize I can only use one phase, and without a smart meter (I have a digital meter) that can bank the extra production on that one phase its seeming kind of useless. I understand now a little more how 3 phase works and why my house has this service at least out of all this. I could build a circuit for certain appliances (fridges, freezers, pool pump etc)

I guess I have some choices...
Build a new circuit for the single phase Growatt inverter
Buy 3 phase hybrid and use zero injection (double the cost)
Buy 3 phase inverter and use zero injection (non hybrid, 200 more in cost)
Use Single or Three phase inverter and get a smart meter

The system is 3 phase 30amp per phase (18kw)

Thanks for looking!

Well, even if your house electrical system is built on a 3 phase , your appliances will only use 2phase.
What exact model of Growatt you bought ?

Yes, I know. Inverter is SPF5000ES. We only have one 3 phase appliance, the hot water heater. Rest is balanced out on 3x30amp. I was hoping to put it on the phase that has the highest load. (add a second inverter later) But i am not educated enough yet to determine if this poses some sort of problem for balancing. We have 3phase because it is 80m from the pole, and 240sq/m of infloor heating.

You can just connect it to the Solar panels. If it is the SPF5000ES then it is a 2 phase 220V output and you can connect whatever appliance you need to it.

Back