diy solar

diy solar

New To Solar - Mods: I found a few threads with info I need; please delete.

Ninja Rooster

I did a search but I think I may be using the wrong terms or something. I can't be the only one trying to answer this question.

I am looking into the Ecoflow Pro or the Max. But; one of the things I need to do is power a well pump in an emergency situation. Single phase 230 VAC. I have 2 gasoline generators that will run it. But; if fuel is out; I am out.

hurricanes are a thing here and I refuse to be caught without being able to provide. I already have rain catchment sysem and mulitple ways to purify drinking water should a need arise. But; like the added benefit of powering the pump with solar. I will also be powering smaller deep freezers (2).

I do not want to shell out close to $8k for two pros and still need to shell out more for the cable to make them provide 230VAC and the solar panels to recharge.

So; I am wondering if anyone has ran a solar generator like the ecoflow; at 120VAC, and used a plug in 120 to 230 converter to get the required voltage? The next dilmna, does it have the power to run a 1/2HP pump at say 2300watts?

I am new to the site and WIlls videos so; I am headed to the other DIY sections here to see if there is already a breakdown in one of his schematics to do such a thing.

Thanks and I am hoping to learn a little bit to make me dangerous.

Last edited:
Starting a pump takes much more power than running that same pump. I wouldn't depend on any of the retail type "solar generators" to run a 230v well pump. Some might do it but you need something more like for a small house than those portable solar generators. Something on the order of 5000-6000w 230v would be a starting place.

120V generators are unlikely to have the wattage to handle a 240v pump. Surge is high.

Do a search here for well pump threads, it is a common topic.

Starting a pump takes much more power than running that same pump. I wouldn't depend on any of the retail type "solar generators" to run a 230v well pump. Some might do it but you need something more like for a small house than those portable solar generators. Something on the order of 5000-6000w 230v would be a starting place.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the Pro seems to have enough max output for the starting of the pump. I am digging through the DIY builds now. Found this on Amazon that may fall into place with some of those builds and come out less than a Ecoflow pro.

AMPINVT 6000W Peak 18000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter Charger DC 24V to 120V/240V AC Output Converter​

120V generators are unlikely to have the wattage to handle a 240v pump. Surge is high.

Do a search here for well pump threads, it is a common topic.
Thanks. I cant believe I didn't search just "well Pump". If I find what i need; I will delete this one.

Back