diy solar

diy solar

New to solar

Buk 80

Hi all. I am new to all this and have some questions. I am going to do a cargo trailer conversion and are hoping to do the following: a 206 ah soak battery , a 40 amp solar charger , and a 1500 or 2000w inventor. My question is will a 200 amp solar array work to charge this. Most of my load will be 12v lights and things like phone charger but I will want to run a dorm type fridge and a coffee machine on the 110v side. Any help is appreciated. I might add that I am a 72 year old retiree on a budget.

Hi all. I am new to all this and have some questions. I am going to do a cargo trailer conversion and are hoping to do the following: a 206 ah soak battery

206Ah * 12.8V = 2637Wh

, a 40 amp solar charger

40A * 12V = 480W, i.e., a 40A charge controller can handle about 480W of panels. The 40A is the maximum CHARGE current the controller can provide.

, and a 1500 or 2000w inventor.

Might be overkill. Inverters consume power even when they aren't supplying power. A low power 1000W inverter might consume 10W. 10W * 24h = 240Wh; 240Wh/2637Wh = 9% of your battery capacity.

My question is will a 200 WATT solar array work to charge this.

Not likely. See below.

Most of my load will be 12v lights and things like phone charger but I will want to run a dorm type fridge

This small energy star fridge:

Uses 201kWh/year or 550Wh/day - about 21% of your battery capacity.

and a coffee machine on the 110v side. Any help is appreciated. I might add that I am a 72 year old retiree on a budget.

Typical drip coffee maker is 900-1000W. Assuming you only us it for 10 minutes/day and remember to turn it off when it's done brewing, that's 1000W * 10/60 = 167Wh

Now we're up to about 957Wh/day in just those 3 items - about 36% of your battery.

If you want to sustain those daily loads, your panels need to produce that amount of energy every day. Flat panels on a vehicle roof don't perform particularly well.

With GREAT summer sun, 200W of panels could produce that; however, it wouldn't even get close in Winter.

400-600W of panels is likely much more appropriate and would allow you to utilize your 40A controller more effectively.

Lastly, you would want to supplement charging with a DC-DC charger when running the vehicle.

This is probably a good template to get you started:

I am going to do a cargo trailer conversion
How big is the trailer (more specifically, how much roof space do you have)? As mentioned above, I would go for more panels. I would try for at least three used 250w panels. Assuming this is at least a 10x6 trailer, there should be room on the roof. Any idea at what equipment you are currently looking at? 12v controllers are limited in most cases.

Back