diy solar

diy solar

New to solar

Brakeman3

Hi everyone... I have a question concerning installing solar in my conversion van. I have just installed three 200w Renergy panels on my roof... my question is, at present time I only have one 100AH AGM battery with two more coming. Can I go ahead and connect my solar panels until I get the other two batteries or will it overcharge the one battery and cauae serious problems?

100AH AGM typically are rated charged around 10-20% of the rating, i.e., 10-20A. Some are as high as 30%. Your battery may have a specific rating.

600W/12V = 50A, which is definitely too much; HOWEVER, you could choose to only wire one panel OR assuming you're in the northern hemisphere, panels are flat on the roof, and it's WINTER sun... unlikely you'll get more than 20-30A with the full array, and if you're fully charged before peak solar, the charger won't even try to charge it, but you'll have the peak solar available for loads.

I agree with everything mentioned above.

What I will add is some Charge controllers will kept you limit max amp output. My Victron 100/50 is strong enough to handle all the amps those three panels can throw at it it’s a max of 50 charging amps, but if your battery can only handle 10 amps, set it at that.

I also have a generic PWM charge controller and max amps can not be set, so with that there would be no safety for the battery.

Its NiFe to get the right equipment the first time around and be ready for the larger batteries whenthey show up.

I have 600 watts of flat panels and I get exactly what was mentioned, at 20 - 30 amps charging to the battery.

So would i be okay to just connect battery via alligator clips when battery gets close to needing charged and then disconnect when charged until the other 2 batteries show up and I can wire all 3 up?

Back