diy solar

diy solar

New to solar

crent

Hello everyone, brand new to solar. Buying a Ram Promaster 2500 and am going to buy the componets for the "classis 400 watt solar package". I would also like to be able to charge the batteries while I am driving or when I have shore power available to me. Not exactly sure what other components I need to buy and how to hook them up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Crent

Before you spend any money:

Determine what you want to power with the system. Won't you be pissed off if the "classic 400W" falls short of your needs?

That's a good place to start Crent. But yeah, assess what exactly you'll want to power up and at what voltage - 12V and 120V - and for how long. You'll want to make it part of your overall conversion planning - appliances, conveniences, heat, water, AC, etc.

For driving you'll want a DC to DC charger - Victron has the Orion ones in a couple of different sizes, so you'll make that a later decision once you know what capacity your system will need to be.

For shore power it can be as simple as a plug in charger on an extension cord. Again, once you know how you'll size your system and what charging needs you'll have, you can then be able to choose what component(s) would be needed for those cloudy days.

Continue to watch the how-to vids from Will and others and you'll gain an idea of how to plan for your system. Don't be buying components until you've done an energy assessment and have a good idea of how much you'll need. Start by adding up a list of needs and wants that need power to run, and how long you'll run them. Everything you choose needs a wattage or amperage rating and duration.

Back