diy solar

diy solar

New to the Forum, Project on the way

Good Morning power producers,
I am new here but have done quite a bit in the past when it comes to power related projects. I worked in a large network of 12,000 users and around 20,000-30,000 devices per day and was a lead tech. Lots of experience with APC backup units, solar, low voltage wire runs and all the server, comp network side of things. My current completed project is a simple tent trailer. 100 watt poly solar panel on the roof, PWM charge controller that came with it and a Valence 40 ah battery that I luckily bought before Will made a video on it. (I paid $80 including shipping) The system works great for my 12v loads which all lighting is LED and water pump is intermittent. I charge Chromebooks, phones, drones and even a power wheels quad from the system and have yet to run out of power. No SOC meter but I am under $200 into the whole project. We use it to camp and enjoy it for what it is.

Current project just got started and is why I decided to share on here. My inlaws have moved onto one of my lots on my property but couldn't afford to pull power through Pacific Gas and Electric. I had a line running up one side of the hill just for lighting and they are using that. Its Direct burial 10/3 and at a distance of about 200 feet. The problem is everything that came with the trailer. We now have an outdoor freezer, 2 full size refrigerators and the trailer fridge. Also an electric washer and drier appeared in my well shed and are operational. I make it sound like its a bad thing but its not. The bad thing is our power bill. Regularly in the $500 range monthly it just hit $560 this month. We split the power bill but this drives me crazy. Power in my area is $.20 a KWH off peak and I regularly pay $.32-38 depending on season. (summer is more)

I plan to install some ground mount Grid-tie solar. It wont be permitted and that might be poo-poo'd around here I don't know but I will find out. I have a neighbor who has 20,000 <--correct amount of zeros!!! Watts of solar. When PGE came out because of the back feed on their end they said they wont pay him for the energy he puts in with credits but cant turn off his power either because he used UL listed approved equipment that is properly installed. He only pays for what he uses when solar goes down at night. I have looked everything over, saw how he did it and it seems great. Everything he has is used, and he works in construction so he is out less than $2000 for connectors, wire and the odds and ends you might need.

That being said I am diving in. I will try to keep everything as "to code" as I can. I have friends who are electrical/mechanical engineers and hopefully some of you can help as well. If you don't feel comfortable because I don't have a stamp from the local regulatory office I understand that too. I priced out a 2000 watt system and its $10-12k. ROI will be faster even without credits on the meter doing it myself.

Hope to see you all around, that was a long first post!

Good Morning power producers,
I am new here but have done quite a bit in the past when it comes to power related projects. I worked in a large network of 12,000 users and around 20,000-30,000 devices per day and was a lead tech. Lots of experience with APC backup units, solar, low voltage wire runs and all the server, comp network side of things. My current completed project is a simple tent trailer. 100 watt poly solar panel on the roof, PWM charge controller that came with it and a Valence 40 ah battery that I luckily bought before Will made a video on it. (I paid $80 including shipping) The system works great for my 12v loads which all lighting is LED and water pump is intermittent. I charge Chromebooks, phones, drones and even a power wheels quad from the system and have yet to run out of power. No SOC meter but I am under $200 into the whole project. We use it to camp and enjoy it for what it is.

Current project just got started and is why I decided to share on here. My inlaws have moved onto one of my lots on my property but couldn't afford to pull power through Pacific Gas and Electric. I had a line running up one side of the hill just for lighting and they are using that. Its Direct burial 10/3 and at a distance of about 200 feet. The problem is everything that came with the trailer. We now have an outdoor freezer, 2 full size refrigerators and the trailer fridge. Also an electric washer and drier appeared in my well shed and are operational. I make it sound like its a bad thing but its not. The bad thing is our power bill. Regularly in the $500 range monthly it just hit $560 this month. We split the power bill but this drives me crazy. Power in my area is $.20 a KWH off peak and I regularly pay $.32-38 depending on season. (summer is more)

I plan to install some ground mount Grid-tie solar. It wont be permitted and that might be poo-poo'd around here I don't know but I will find out. I have a neighbor who has 20,000 <--correct amount of zeros!!! Watts of solar. When PGE came out because of the back feed on their end they said they wont pay him for the energy he puts in with credits but cant turn off his power either because he used UL listed approved equipment that is properly installed. He only pays for what he uses when solar goes down at night. I have looked everything over, saw how he did it and it seems great. Everything he has is used, and he works in construction so he is out less than $2000 for connectors, wire and the odds and ends you might need.

That being said I am diving in. I will try to keep everything as "to code" as I can. I have friends who are electrical/mechanical engineers and hopefully some of you can help as well. If you don't feel comfortable because I don't have a stamp from the local regulatory office I understand that too. I priced out a 2000 watt system and its $10-12k. ROI will be faster even without credits on the meter doing it myself.

Hope to see you all around, that was a long first post!

Hello,
I'm in San jose, Ca, just finised my 48v Off Grid system,
Here is my setup :
- 375w REC solar panel x 9 ( Total 3375 w )
- Midnite Classic 150 Charge controller
- Meritsun 48v/200AH Lifepo4 battery Powerwall ( Total 10Kwh )
- 48v/7000w/120v ac Reliable Inverter
It's been running very nice, power a whole home ( 1200 Sq ) all day and night
For the total price less than $9000 Usd, pretty good deal,

That sounds quite nice for an off grid system. Unfortunately I need something on the grid at the moment as I regularly use 65-90 kWh daily. I would need 6-10x the amount of your battery for one days usage, which would still drive up the cost. One thing I have been looking at is self-consumption systems with battery storage. Basically homemade power walls.

Back