diy solar

diy solar

New to this forum from SE South Australia

Grith

Hi All I was recommended this forum from a yachting forum when posting questions about my yacht solar system.
Lots to take in now having done lots of prior reading and research but now stumbling onto here where there is obviously a wealth of prior experience.
I have recently retired and relocated to a virtually unknown ( and very cheap ) corner of South Australia securing direct waterfront property with a pontoon jetty cheaper than anywhere else I could find in Australia.
With a desert climate but having direct access to unlimited domestic use Murray River fresh water it is ideal for both solar collection, growing food and as a base for travelling from.
We have fibre to the home internet (still fairly rare in Australia outside central big cities), underground grid power and are surrounded by huge solar farms which have made South Australia a leader in world terms for renewable energy production.
I have a 9.25kw roof solar system and 600w solar systems on both my slide on truck camper and 28 foot trailerable cruising yacht.
Still learning despite 30 years of playing with solar systems and happy to find you all. :)CF834459-3117-4B73-8861-86A05F834BDD.jpeg
Photo taken on a rare cloudy day!
We also purchased the very cheap block next to our house with the view to custom building a new active/passive solar home after doing some more travelling first.:)
Pictured here with friends camping on it in their self contained caravan as they arrived to visit with Covid and had to isolate.

We are up in the Murraylands, sending plenty of water your way ?

Thanks for those concerned about flooding but I am down near Lake Alexandria where the water has plenty of room to spread out.
Whilst directly on the river our tiny virtually unknown marina canal style development at Wellington EAST ( not Wellington ) was built to withstand the 1956 flood so apart from some peoples jetty’s going under its all fine here.
Out of interest for those with an alternative power bent over half this small area is 2000sqm blocks without services whilst the rest are smaller and or canal frontage with electricity and a council grey water disposal system with each individual house have a black waste septic system. We also amazingly have fibre to the home internet connections.
It’s amazingly cheap here allowing myself and my partners slightly early retirement.

Back