diy solar

diy solar

New Trailer Mount System

tlub

Hey everyone. First time poster. New to the solar power world.
i purchased a new trailer - ezec8.5x20ch-if - 8'6"x20' with a V-nose front that i want to outfit with panels. I don't know exactly what capacity I need (newbie) but i want to maximize the potential power input by using the whole roof. Unsure the number of batteries to start with but definitely want the ability to easily add storage capacity later if needed.
Depending on how world events transpire i see having a trailer the could serve as a mobile power to source to supply an off grid grid cottage or other outbuilding, charge electric vehicles or or become a sulf sufficient RV trailer to travel + live in. the system may need to supply heat to the trailer.
i see a panel with outlets in the trailer and power cords or outlets to plug into another electrical panel, or an electrical vehicle.
i have looked at some of Will's blueprints but am new to this and would welcome and advice or tips

Thanks

Will’s stuff is good. You could do a lot worse on your own. Building a manageable little system with less expensive parts would be a good learning exercise.

All depends on what you want to power. There is an energy audit spreadsheet around here somewhere. 12 volt camping stuff is everywhere and generally pretty safe.

Filling up the roof gets more complicated. There are ways to phase it in. It’sa good way to learn but may not be the cheapest.

300 watts and a 12 volt battery cover s a lot of needs and is a good neighborhood to start in.

There is an energy audit spreadsheet around here somewhere.
It's in the Resources section:

The biggest headache could be finding panels that maximize the rooftop space. Shopping for panels by size (length/width) is difficult. I tried that and Google searches based on dimensions just doesn't work well. My initi8al plan was to put four 200 watt panels on my roof but due to all the crap on the roof I had to switch to two 320 watt panels.

I recommend you look into strut based mounting systems. The typical Z bracket mounts will waste space. Struts will maximize space.

Search on Google for local solar panel dealers (not installers). Mine is 10 min away and had about 20 different panels in stock, ranging from 300 to 475 watts.

Find panels that will fit nicely next to each other and cover as much roof space as possible.

Build a roof rack with aluminum channel struts. You can screw the rack together, or better TIG weld it.

McMaster-Carr is a good online shop for everything aluminum and hardware.

If you are not into basic fabrication, have somebody else design and fabricate the rack.

Make sure its properly attached to the roof with matching hardware. You don't want any panels flying off the roof, they can be a death sentence to bikers even when one is only laying on the highway!

Back