diy solar

diy solar

New Travel Trailer Build, Solar Charge Controller Advice Needed (EPEVER, Tracer, XTRA, other?)

seprintz

Hi all!

I'm building a new DIY camper and I'm looking for advice on a charge controller.

I'm re-using some components from a previous build, but am buying some things new, thus some of my components are locked in, others aren't. I am open to any and all sound advice! We do plan on running a mini-split for AC (120V), an electric kettle, an Instant Pot, charging devices, a 12V electric cooler for a fridge, a 12V water pump, and 12V lighting. I think that covers most of our load.

Existing Parts:
3000w 24V input - 120V output single phase charger/inverter.
16 CALB 200SE LiFePO4 cells, configured 8S for 2 x 24V batteries.
2 x Overkill BMS 8S 24V

Needed:
Solar Panels
Charge Controller

Solar Panels, based on the size of my roof, I've decided on 3 x 455 watt panels from SanTan Solar

Due to potential shading issues at campgrounds, etc... I figured it'd be best to just run them in parallel. (Feel free to convince me otherwise).

Panel Stats:
Pmax: 455 watts
Maximum Voltage (VMP): 41.51 V
Maximum Power Current (IMP): 10.96 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC): 49.35 V
Short Circuit Current (ISC): 11.44 A

I've used a TracerBN Charge controller in the past, with SLA batteries, and I like their price point/build quality and I've never had a problem after installing it in my father in-law's milking barn (he just needed lights, so he's got a basic 12V setup).

Based on the panels, I was looking at the EPEVER Tracer 4215BN, but after searching this forum I see that they have been discontinued. Also, they don't come with a LiFePO4 charging profile built in, so one has to be manually programmed as a User setting. I also love the nice large input terminals, very easy to work with and gave me confidence using larger wires.

This logically lead me to consider it's replacement the EPEVER XTRA4215N, which is very cost effective, and comes with a built in LiFePO4 charging profile. I haven't seen any reviews of the XTRA series, I'm not sure of ease of use, or reliability.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Take a look at this thread and the others linked in the first post and see if it changes anything for you. I have no personal experience with EPEVER but seen lots of negative comments and references to nasty issues (which i didn't research because i wasnt planning to buy one). But might be relevant for you!

They can be a little finnicky. If you have the $$ go for Victron hardware. No one every regretted it. If you're on a budget the Xtra controllers are quite nice, been happy with the one I got.

I have a small AN one for the portables, and a new style Xtra for the roof-mount panels. They both work fine, but sometimes need to be power-cycled to show proper input and output current. Not sure what happens there. And some users have a devil of a time with the RS485 PC interface software. I don't but others have given up and got either the MT50 or BT dongle for changing settings - you need either to program for LFP charging.

As far as serial or parallel PV's, do what matches your controller's capabilities. Serial saves a little on wire costs, less voltage drop if you have a longer run. Parallel might work a little better for shading - but production really drops off if they don't see sun. I'm guessing you already know that.

I have a couple of smaller portable panels I can set out at camp if there are trees, or for early or late charging as you can point them right at the sun. My main ones on the RV roof are simple flat mounts in series - and never product more than about 75%.

a mini-split for AC (120V), an electric kettle, an Instant Pot, charging devices

While I think the EpEver line represents excellent value-for-money in many cases I don't think they will perform well in this use case. The MPPT algo is very slow and can get badly thrown off the trail when sizeable loads are suddenly added.

Near the same value price-point would be Renogy 40A and similar. I might be tempted to try a Renogy from an easily-returnable source first, then move up a tier if it doesn't work well enough. Up a tier will probably mean "cost 1.5x-2x as much".

I didn't want to, but I'm starting to lean towards Victron, I just never saw myself as a Victron kind of guy.

I liked the EPEVER Tracer I used in the past. I want something that will work well. The purpose of camping isn't to spend time fiddling with the electronics and hoping the lights come on. I want to be able to depend on the system and have fun with my family.

We do plan on running a mini-split for AC (120V), an electric kettle, an Instant Pot
You've done a power audit, right? Those are going to call for some serious battery capacity.
, charging devices, a 12V electric cooler for a fridge, a 12V water pump, and 12V lighting. I think that covers most of our load.
How were you planning to power your 12v devices from a 24v battery system? I got an Uxcell 60a unit myself because I have some heavy 12v loads at my cabin.

I've decided on 3 x 455 watt panels
455w * 3 panels / 24v = 56.87a of SCC. You'll need a 60a controller for that. That really narrows down choices unfortunately.

Friends don't let friends buy renogy. :LOL:
I'll buy 3 Renogy units AND lunch before I buy a Victron. ?

Due to potential shading issues at campgrounds, etc... I figured it'd be best to just run them in parallel. (Feel free to convince me otherwise).
With 3 panels you'll need fuses/combiner box, but I think it's the best plan with shading being a concern.

I was looking at the EPEVER Tracer 4215BN,
See my earlier comment about the math, you'll want a 60a unit. Fortunately you can do just fine with that 100v PVInput limit and save a little.

And some users have a devil of a time with the RS485 PC interface software. I don't but others have given up and got either the MT50 or BT dongle for changing settings - you need either to program for LFP charging.
That seems to be a recurring theme on most systems, so just plan ahead on getting the MT50 or BT module for whichever unit you end up getting.

While I think the EpEver line represents excellent value-for-money in many cases I don't think they will perform well in this use case. The MPPT algo is very slow and can get badly thrown off the trail when sizeable loads are suddenly added.
I've seen this happen on my diesel heater build, I eventually replaced it with a cheapie PWM I had in my parts bin. Being in Seattle it's hard enough to get to operating voltage most of the time and I've seen a net gain since the change just because of the delay involved if a cloud passes over or anything.

Back