diy solar

diy solar

New Van System Planning Help

myrkr

Trying to narrow down possible plans for my electrical system build for my camper van conversion. I've spent months reading and searching these forums and watching videos and have an okay baseline of understanding, but need some help figuring out where to go next.

Here are the requirements I'm working with for my build (some of this could possibly be altered if needed)

Requirements
Energy Needs
I used the energy audit spreadsheet and found that I need roughly around 5000 watt-hours of energy per day, with a peak of around 2500 watts max surge load if I avoid running multiple high watt devices at the same time (cooking mostly)

Charging
I want all of the following...
(Solar) Rooftop mounted solar panels - depending on the system config I could possibly at most get 600-900 watts of solar on the roof of my van
(Shore) Connect to standard 15amp household service (maybe 30 amp RV style, but not sure)
(Vehicle/Alternator) My van has dual high output alternators (though I'm still investigating safe continuous output) so I'd like to be able to charge my house batteries via alternator when driving (100-200 amps?)

System Options (all with lifepo4 batteries)
System 1 (12V 500-600ah?)
System 2 (24V 400-500ah?)
System 3 (????)

Questions
1) One of the main things I'm struggling to wrap my head around is how to go about using my vehicle/alternator as a charging source if I use a 24v system. I've watched Will's videos on this and other random recommendations and it sounds like it requires some extra steps to convert the 12v vehicle output and then charge the 24v battery bank. In some cases this can be accomplished with the design of the system, in other cases by using specific DC-DC chargers that will take 12V from the vehicle and output 24V to the battery bank. I've also seen some who have designed DC to AC to DC systems where an inverter is placed in the middle to work around this. But overall I'm not sure what path makes the most sense in terms of trying to go from 12V to 24V (as opposed to just keeping the house battery 12V for simplicity's sake). It seems like there are some limitations here if trying to push more than 100 amps into the battery pack from the vehicle based on the DC to DC offerings on the market currently, but again, I could be wrong.

2) For the house battery bank I've been looking at so many different possible configs with building my own pack. From an energy density standpoint it seems like most just use the 280ah cells as a starting point. So if I did this for a 12V system does it make more sense to build multiple 4s batteries, each with their own BMS, and then connect all of these batteries together in parallel to reach the desired ah capacity? This seems like it adds extra cost/complexity with all of those BMS for each pack. Or does it make more sense to try and build a larger pack of 8 cells instead to create a pack, then connect those packs together? I think I'm getting lost in the possible amount of configurations of cells if I build my own pack with the 280ah cells. The end result being either to achieve a 400-500ah 24v battery bank, or a 500-600ah 12v battery bank. It seems like building a 24v pack doubles my battery cost more or less, which makes it seem cost prohibitive, but maybe I'm missing something here. Also, I've seen many talk about issues keeping the cells balanced depending on the configuration for the pack.

3) The 12v or 24v question also comes down to the inverter. I've read enough to realize the amps are halved on the higher voltage 24v system, which saves on cabling costs and gets me more watts from a 24 volt system than a 12v system with the same inverter. I seem to be right at the threshold in terms of wattage for the inverter (2500-3000ish watts) when it comes to needing to step up from 12v to 24v, but again, I'm not exactly sure here.

4) In terms of the overall system I'd like if at all possible to try and buy most of the components (not the batteries) from one manufacturer (pending they make everything that is needed), and then use a monitoring system for the batteries and the whole electrical system. This step is somewhat cost dependent since I've got to work within a budget. Was originally thinking of using Victron for most components, but again, I could be barking up the wrong tree and it doesn't make sense to pursue the system as a whole like this. Maybe it's fine to just mix components across manufacturers instead of getting myself locked into trying to use all the same?

I think that mostly sums up where I'm at currently, trying to figure out which direction to take this whole thing, 12v or 24v given so many different considerations.

Super appreciate any help or guidance anyone is willing to offer. Thanks!

Sorry I didn't read it all.
From what I read the only point of integration is the alternator.
Victron makes at least one 12 to 24 converter/charger that should be suitable.
I believe the name to look for is Orion.
Now as far as Xuba 280 amp hour batteries...
8 cells = 560 amp hours at 12.8 volts = 7168 watt hours * .8 = 5734.4 usable watt hours
Those same 8 cells give you the same usable watt hours at 24 volts.

A few questions?

How much watts in solar will you have if any?
How long if ever would you be pulling 3000 Amps on the inverter?

If it were me for simplicity sake I would make 1 battery either 2p4s or 8s just so I only have 1 BMS. Some may like 2 batteries for redundancy but honestly I am not sure it is worth the hassles.

Sorry I didn't read it all.
From what I read the only point of integration is the alternator.
Victron makes at least one 12 to 24 converter/charger that should be suitable.
I believe the name to look for is Orion.
Now as far as Xuba 280 amp hour batteries...
8 cells = 560 amp hours at 12.8 volts = 7168 watt hours * .8 = 5734.4 usable watt hours
Those same 8 cells give you the same usable watt hours at 24 volts.

Thank you!

So I've looked into the Victron Orion series of DC-DC chargers (https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters) and I think the part I'm struggling with is that the highest output 12v to 24v model I see is rated at 30 amps continuous output. While I could parallel install them it would take a bunch of them to get over 100amps which seems cost prohibitive. It looks like Sterling Power offers some 12v - 24v DC-DC chargers, possibly up to 70 amps output (though I'm admittedly a little confused by their offerings after reading thru their website). I'll reach out to Sterling and Victron to see what options exist for 12v to 24v DC-DC, since I don't see any single product that looks like it can output 100+ amps while doing 12v to 24v.

As for the battery bank that makes sense. I was missing the watt hour conversion flip from 12v to 24v equaling the same thing. I guess my question would be in an instance where I'm building a single 24v battery pack with one BMS for 8 cells, so an 8s 24v 280ah pack, could I at a later date add another 8s 24v 280ah pack with it's own BMS to give me a combined 24v 560ah pack? Or would this not work very well because the batteries would be using different cells (possibly from different manufacturer)? Would I have to pull the original pack and take the pack apart and rebalance all 16 cells before building 2 new 8s packs?

A few questions?

How much watts in solar will you have if any?
How long if ever would you be pulling 3000 Amps on the inverter?

If it were me for simplicity sake I would make 1 battery either 2p4s or 8s just so I only have 1 BMS. Some may like 2 batteries for redundancy but honestly I am not sure it is worth the hassles.

I'm guessing that I can get somewhere around 600-900 watts of solar on the roof of my van.

For the inverter, if I was pulling 3000 watts it would not be for more than 10 minutes continuous, probably closer to small blips of 2-4 minutes on, and then a minute or so off, but not for more than 15 minutes total most likely.

Thank you!

So I've looked into the Victron Orion series of DC-DC chargers (https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters) and I think the part I'm struggling with is that the highest output 12v to 24v model I see is rated at 30 amps continuous output. While I could parallel install them it would take a bunch of them to get over 100amps which seems cost prohibitive. It looks like Sterling Power offers some 12v - 24v DC-DC chargers, possibly up to 70 amps output (though I'm admittedly a little confused by their offerings after reading thru their website). I'll reach out to Sterling and Victron to see what options exist for 12v to 24v DC-DC, since I don't see any single product that looks like it can output 100+ amps while doing 12v to 24v.

As for the battery bank that makes sense. I was missing the watt hour conversion flip from 12v to 24v equaling the same thing. I guess my question would be in an instance where I'm building a single 24v battery pack with one BMS for 8 cells, so an 8s 24v 280ah pack, could I at a later date add another 8s 24v 280ah pack with it's own BMS to give me a combined 24v 560ah pack? Or would this not work very well because the batteries would be using different cells (possibly from different manufacturer)? Would I have to pull the original pack and take the pack apart and rebalance all 16 cells before building 2 new 8s packs?
Yeah the Sterling options are definitely worth considering.
Yes you can add a second battery in paralegal.
The best option is the posts method on page 18 of this doco https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/09/03/wiring-unlimited/

Update after hearing back from Victron for DC-DC charging options.

The highest output offering they make is a 12v 100amp input to 24v 50amp output. They could be run in parallel to give me 24v 100 amp output. However this just doesn't seem like it makes sense financially since just one of these Victron DC-DC units costs $950. So spending almost $2000 to get 12v to 24v with 100amps doesn't seem worth it. Waiting to hear back from Sterling on their offerings. Will also look further into some of those systems people created with DC-AC-DC setups using inverters. I don't really understand it at first glance but will have a look.

At this point it seems like my greatest challenge is still trying to figure out how to get 12v from my alternators converted into 24v of the battery pack with at least 100amps (or more) of current.

Why don't you simply use 12V alternator charging and pay extra $100 for the wire? How about Victron Orion 70A isolator ($141 at Amazon): https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Orio...words=victron+orion+12v&qid=1602470545&sr=8-3

I think I need the version that is the other way around 12v -> 24v, and the only high output one of those is maxed out at 24V 50amp output if I feed in 12V 100amp.

I've started looking more at using a DC-AC-DC setup that has become popular in camper conversions. Here is one system that the owner designed himself https://www.ortontransit.info/electrical. This option would make it easier dealing with pulling 12V from the vehicle system and getting it over to 24V in the house system. It has some slight efficiency loss because of the conversions back and forth, but it is a somewhat elegant work around for dealing with the different voltages since there is no high power B2B DC-DC charger on the market that can handle the 12V to 24V switch unless you buy multiple units and parallel them.

First, converting DC 12V to 24V with 100A doesn’t seem like practical because it will cost too much even if doable.

Second, DC-AC-DC system seems like a wicked idea. After glancing through the link in your post, DC-AC-DC system is going to use the electricity from DC-AC inverter as grid power. I can see two problems. One is about high idle consumption of inverter because it has to be powered on all the time. The other issue would be more critical if you want to charge the 24V house battery. You need to keep your engine on when you need to charge 24V battery. Maybe that is not a big problem if you move around a lot, but surely not feasible for boondocking.

First, converting DC 12V to 24V with 100A doesn’t seem like practical because it will cost too much even if doable.

Second, DC-AC-DC system seems like a wicked idea. After glancing through the link in your post, DC-AC-DC system is going to use the electricity from DC-AC inverter as grid power. I can see two problems. One is about high idle consumption of inverter because it has to be powered on all the time. The other issue would be more critical if you want to charge the 24V house battery. You need to keep your engine on when you need to charge 24V battery. Maybe that is not a big problem if you move around a lot, but surely not feasible for boondocking.

Yes, I agree. The 12v to 24v with 100A doesn't seem like it's very doable. Partly because the only way to do it really is to pull 200amps at 12v which exceeds the connection point on my van for easy connection (load shedding, ECM regulated, etc.).

The high idle consumption could be a problem, but the van alternator electronics limit the current from the alternators at lower speed or idle, so that should limit the draw on the system at idle. Or I could have it switched to disconnect draw at lower engine speeds. For charging while boondocking this would not be a problem since this alternator charging is just a secondary charging option, the primary charging option will be solar (and also shore power as well), the alternator charging is only being used to make use of the charging opportunity that comes when we're driving.

OK, good discussion so far. Please add your blueprint so we can help nail down the project.

Hi everyone, after 3 slow months I've finally finished a rough draft of my blueprint/schematic to share for review. I've been working with a great Victron rep who has helped me get this far. Just looking for any additional thoughts or suggestions anyone might have to offer.

For some added context-

•Part of this schematic was originally a Victron one that I modified to suit my needs
•The breaker and fuse sizing is incomplete still
•The wire sizes are not added yet since I need to figure out locations in my van to measure wire distances
•The wire lines in the schematic are not to scale, so ignore them for now

Thanks!

Attachments

• Transit Electrical System V2.3 (Smaller).pdf
    14.8 MB · Views: 28
Thank you!

Unless you have are using a dedicated alternator designed to charge batteries, I believe 30A is a reasonable limit. Victron is huge in the high end RV and boating world. If it was a good idea in general to draw more than 30A from an alternator, then Victron would make a charge converter that did this. They are THE class act in this world. Just because a lower tier vendor choses to offer something doesn't mean that it is a good idea to do that.

Also, keep in mind even 30A is a lot unless the vehicle is moving. Drawing serious amps from an idling engine is a bad idea. If you need to charge when stationary then carry a small Honda Generator and charge up from that. You will save money and your engine will last longer.

Hi everyone, after 3 slow months I've finally finished a rough draft of my blueprint/schematic to share for review. I've been working with a great Victron rep who has helped me get this far. Just looking for any additional thoughts or suggestions anyone might have to offer.

For some added context-

•Part of this schematic was originally a Victron one that I modified to suit my needs
•The breaker and fuse sizing is incomplete still
•The wire sizes are not added yet since I need to figure out locations in my van to measure wire distances
•The wire lines in the schematic are not to scale, so ignore them for now

Thanks!
I am using a Blue Sea 7157, 50A short stop breaker on the incoming power to my Orion-TR.

Be sure to use the appropriate sized wire for 50A service and you should be good. The wire should also be specified for use in an engine compartment (oil, gasoline, heat). I am using ANCOR Marine grade 6/2 AWG duplex cable for this. It is rated for 105 degree C and the jacket is incredibly tough.

Yah, its overkill, 8 AWG is probably fine, but I not into squeaking by. And 6 AWG will let you run longer wire which can make installing your system less difficult.

Hey everyone,
I am a beginner and working on a system for my van. It won't be used for living
Mainly for mobile job site power. In my research I found Mechman alternators
Maybe like you said a dedicated alternator for your system, they do custom work.
They may be able to build a 24v alt.

I was thinking something more like this. An oil cooled, gear driven alternator. Now that I would be comfortable pulling some serious amps out of.

And yah, that is really what they cost.

Here is a little more info to put you at easehttps://youtu.be/LMB2Rrpz9yg
I don't who the person is they are building this for, but what got my attention was the fact that they were going to integrate it into the factory wiring

Here is a little more info to put you at ease
I don't who the person is they are building this for, but what got my attention was the fact that they were going to integrate it into the factory wiring

Back