diy solar

diy solar

New victron all in one

Will needs to do a solar build review on the new all in one by victron, look a lot like the mpp solar.

Unfortunately they are not available for us North Americans at this point in time (many of Victron's coolest goodies are not available in NA yet).

Looks like a very cool product though. They have improved on their inverter efficiency, super high MPPT input voltage compared to their SCC's, built in ELCI (similar GFCI I believe).

Datasheet

I really prefer the ease of an all-in-one, but just ordered a Multiplus 3000/24 - because I wanted the reliability and warranty of a Victron. But if this were available in North America... I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and hold out for this.

I'm primarily running off-grid mobile sound systems - so while some surge capacity is nice, I'm not running big motors or anything.

Any guesses when something like this (or a 24v version?) might make it to the US market? Should I hold out a few months?

It's been discussed elsewhere that these are supposedly in production and awaiting UL approval. COVID has slowed the process dramatically.

The only benefits I see are wiring and footprint. While Victron is very reliable, I hate the idea of losing two functions in the event that one fails needing to bolt on an additional component or replace the whole thing at a higher cost. I also doubt that it's going to be more cost effective than separate units. You're going to pay for the convenience of all in one.

That said, if something like the EasySolar was 1) available, 2) stackable and 3) cost competitive with the individual components, I'd be very tempted. The integral GX panel and VRM logging function are awesome.

I really prefer the ease of an all-in-one, but just ordered a Multiplus 3000/24 - because I wanted the reliability and warranty of a Victron. But if this were available in North America... I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and hold out for this.
If you need/want to use it soon, I wouldn't cancel your order.
If memory serves, some of Victron's 'new' products released in Europe and Internationally have been out for over 2 years now and are still not available in the US. I'm usually inclined to wait if I feel the latest and greatest new thing will be released soonish, but in the case of Victron, I wouldn't count on EU products making their way into the the US market quickly. Add to this the current current situation with Covid and how screwed up manufacturing and supply chains are right now and there is a lot of uncertainty.
Any guesses when something like this (or a 24v version?) might make it to the US market? Should I hold out a few months?
Also, this particular product is not available in 24v, even in Europe, and also is not a proper all in one (it is an inverter + SCC, but no AC charging functionality, I'm not positive but I don't think it has a builtin GX device either). There is the Easysolar line, which is a proper all-in-one solution, and some have builtin GX functionality if that is appealing to you.

It's been discussed elsewhere that these are supposedly in production and awaiting UL approval. COVID has slowed the process dramatically.

The only benefits I see are wiring and footprint. While Victron is very reliable, I hate the idea of losing two functions in the event that one fails needing to bolt on an additional component or replace the whole thing at a higher cost. I also doubt that it's going to be more cost effective than separate units. You're going to pay for the convenience of all in one.
I don't remember the specifics, but a while back I was helping someone decide between the Easysolar and separate components. We priced everything out and my recollection was that EasySolar was cost competitive with individual components IF and only IF you wanted/would purchase all the component parts-specifically the GX device. Excluding the GX separate components were cheaper, with the GX they were in the same ballpark.

That said, if something like the EasySolar was 1) available, 2) stackable and 3) cost competitive with the individual components, I'd be very tempted. The integral GX panel and VRM logging function are awesome.
I'm not sure if #2 is possible--I suspect it might be since I believe the inverter is component is very similar or identical to the multi--but I suspect it is outside of the design model of the easysolar and maybe not advisable. I think the use case is for people seeking simplicity and an 'all in one' solution. Stacking may not make sense in terms of cost or simplicity. I suspect if your system requires split phase or 3 phase or stacking, you may be better served (and more comfortable with) with individual components. This is just my initial impression, based on the little I know about the easysolar and easyplus, and might well be off base.

So with this product, what all do you need to complete a system, and how big of a system will one of these handle. Sorry if I am asking a dumb question, but I have a bunch to learn.

The peak power listed (9kW) is inline with the older models (although the older models don't specify how long they can handle peak load). But I wonder how true that really is since this is a high-frequency inverter with a smaller transformer -- and IIRC, that has always been discussed here as a problem for large startup loads.
Note that the Hz can be adjusted to 60 and the voltage can probably be adjusted to 240. So with an Autotransformer on the output, it could probably be used in the US (if you can physically acquire it). Albeit without UL listings or whatever.

Back