diy solar

diy solar

New Victron Multiplus-II 12/3000/120-50 designed specifically for RVs with 30A/50A input flexibility available MARCH 2021

I don't have any particular one in mind yet, perhaps a LiFePO4 or something like that if I decide to switch. Just looking to shed some weight of the lead-acid. The Victron compatibility list is currently a pretty short list so I am wondering if there might be other choices to consider.

The Victron compatibility list is currently a pretty short list so I am wondering if there might be other choices to consider.
The Victron compatibility list is for Victron in-house tested solutions. There are others that are tested compatible by the battery manufacturers but untested by Victron so won't make the list.

IMHO, if you have a dealer that can give you a discount and you don't want to mess with DIY, the Victron Smart batteries are an extremely good value with native integration. Due to having a more advanced BMS, they are even series compatible whereas most "drop-in" solutions are not.

If you want to build a DIY bank, the REC BMS units are considered the defacto solution to integrate with Victron and are unofficially recommended by Victron.

Last edited:
The Victron compatibility list is for Victron in-house tested solutions. There are others that are tested compatible by the battery manufacturers but untested by Victron so won't make the list.

IMHO, if you have a dealer that can give you a discount and you don't want to mess with DIY, the Victron Smart batteries are an extremely good value with native integration. Due to having a more advanced BMS, they are even series compatible whereas most "drop-in" solutions are not.

If you want to build a DIY bank, the REC BMS units are considered the defacto solution to integrate with Victron and are unofficially recommended by Victron.
Can you help me better understand what "native integration" provides and what I loose if I don't have that? I kinda seems that integration might be that it provides the battery information in the app and Color Control along with the MiltiPlusII, MPPT 150/85, smartshut, etc. This would have its advantages, but not absolutely necessary. But, if integration means it won't even charge a battery without a compatible BMS, well then, that make my choices pretty clear!
I am in a pretty rural area, so no nearby dealers.

Can you help me better understand what "native integration" provides and what I loose if I don't have that?
The explanation on this could get quite lengthy but it boils down to the life of the battery. Native integration is much more likely to prevent capacity degradation or at least slow it down over non-integration. Overall it helps to maintain the life of the cells in a much more comprehensive manner.

You can operate a LFP battery bank without native integration but with native integration, the BMS (Battery Management System) takes over the charging parameters and sends new commands/adjusts the parameters for all components in the system in realtime (or every few hundred ms) based on the state of each cell, the state of cell balancing etc. Without native integration, the inverter is "blind" and it cannot see each cell, only the total pack voltage, and therefore cannot make decisions about reducing current to prevent cell voltage target overshoots at the end of the charging cycle etc. This has the potential to degrade the cells more quickly. In situations where the BMS is not integrated, all it can do is disconnect the entire battery bank from the system when extreme cell protection is needed.

There is more to it but that is a high-level overview.

I am in a pretty rural area, so no nearby dealers.
When we have a situation like that (I'm an installer/dealer), I'm much more inclined to heavily suggest the client use a tested/proven solution such as the Victron batteries rather than a DIY or untested (by Victron) solution. Either that or a solution the client can maintain/repair themselves with locally sourced components.

Last edited:
The explanation on this could get quite lengthy but it boils down to the life of the battery. Native integration is much more likely to prevent capacity degradation or at least slow it down over non-integration. Overall it helps to maintain the life of the cells in a much more comprehensive manner.

You can operate a LFP battery bank without native integration but with native integration, the BMS (Battery Management System) takes over the charging parameters and sends new commands/adjusts the parameters for all components in the system in realtime (or every few hundred ms) based on the state of each cell, the state of cell balancing etc. Without native integration, the inverter is "blind" and it cannot see each cell, only the total pack voltage, and therefore cannot make decisions about reducing current to prevent cell voltage target overshoots at the end of the charging cycle etc. This has the potential to degrade the cells more quickly. In situations where the BMS is not integrated, all it can do is disconnect the entire battery bank from the system when extreme cell protection is needed.

There is more to it but that is a high-level overview.

When we have a situation like that (I'm an installer/dealer), I'm much more inclined to heavily suggest the client use a tested/proven solution such as the Victron batteries rather than a DIY or untested (by Victron) solution. Either that or a solution the client can maintain/repair themselves with locally sourced components.
I really appreciate the explanation! It certainly helped me better understand what native integration means and why it is important. Thanks!

I have yet another dumb question. I am very close to setting up a 10kw LFP 48v system and will need a good inverter shipped to Nicaragua. My first plan was for 2 Growatt 3000w inverters but now with the Multiplus-II 48v my dreams are answered. I think. The battery I bought has a JBD BMS which appears to require VenusOS and another level of complication to communicate with the Victron that I'm not up to.
My question- this will be a completely off grid system so without charging is there a reason the Multiplus would need to communicate with the BMS and would a Victron MPPT be able to? Or would it be a lot easier on this oldster to stick with the original Growatt plan? I would like so much to have a quality unit at a reasonable price.

I have yet another dumb question. I am very close to setting up a 10kw LFP 48v system and will need a good inverter shipped to Nicaragua. My first plan was for 2 Growatt 3000w inverters but now with the Multiplus-II 48v my dreams are answered. I think. The battery I bought has a JBD BMS which appears to require VenusOS and another level of complication to communicate with the Victron that I'm not up to.
My question- this will be a completely off grid system so without charging is there a reason the Multiplus would need to communicate with the BMS and would a Victron MPPT be able to? Or would it be a lot easier on this oldster to stick with the original Growatt plan? I would like so much to have a quality unit at a reasonable price.

I think you will want to start a new thread with your questions as they aren't on topic for this thread.

As far as I know, the new inverter that is the subject of this thread does not support 48v.

Please be sure to post info as you work on installing it. Mine is paid for but I just missed getting one out of the warehouse so I’m waiting for the next shipment. Really threw a wrench in my plans but it should save some complexity and the cost of extra components for my 50amp fifth wheel install.

I see you missed the posts above mine. Note the question.
Not sure if your quest was clear then so you might want to restate it... this thread is regarding the New 12v Multiplus II 2x120. There is no 48v model currently planned so trying to advise you on going with a Growatt or a 48v Multiplus install isn’t even remotely related, thus the suggestion to start a new thread so that you can get attention from people who can make relevant responses to your question.

If you made a typo and meant 12v instead of 48v then someone with related knowledge might respond but anyone focused on 12v installs is less likely to be able to answer your question with confidence.

Not sure if your quest was clear then so you might want to restate it... this thread is regarding the New 12v Multiplus II 2x120. There is no 48v model currently planned so trying to advise you on going with a Growatt or a 48v Multiplus install isn’t even remotely related, thus the suggestion to start a new thread so that you can get attention from people who can make relevant responses to your question.

If you made a typo and meant 12v instead of 48v then someone with related knowledge might respond but anyone focused on 12v installs is less likely to be able to answer your question with confidence.

My question referred to the Multiplus-II not communicating natively with the JBD BMS. I'm not willing to buy a separate laptop to run VenusOS and a separate program to operate the Multiplus-II. I then asked, as I will not use AC charging, if the Multiplus-II needs to connect with the BMS or can operate independently of it. And if not I will go another route.

The Multiplus-II-48v-120v is indeed now available and shipping but that is totally independent of my question.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Please be sure to post info as you work on installing it. Mine is paid for but I just missed getting one out of the warehouse so I’m waiting for the next shipment. Really threw a wrench in my plans but it should save some complexity and the cost of extra components for my 50amp fifth wheel install.
I am waiting for cells for my battery bank and my REC BMS. I was fortunate that someone messaged me about one left in stock, and I saw the message at 1am when my puppy woke me up to go out and I grabbed it... good boy!??

My question referred to the Multiplus-II not communicating natively with the JBD BMS. I'm not willing to buy a separate laptop to run VenusOS and a separate program to operate the Multiplus-II. I then asked, as I will not use AC charging, if the Multiplus-II needs to connect with the BMS or can operate independently of it. And if not I will go another route.

The Multiplus-II-48v-120v is indeed now available and shipping but that is totally independent of my question.

I'm sorry for the confusion.
That isn’t a 2x120 nor is it 12v, as stated before, you should start a thread specific to your question as you will get response about 48v as well as related to using an inverter that only supports as single hot input.

If I understand your real question correctly though, I’d advise including JBD BMS in the title.

Recently installed the new MP II in my 5th wheel. 400ah Lithium and 600w of solar panels. Happy with it so far.

Also, I contacted Victron, and for those wondering, it can be installed in just about any orientation. I ended up installing it vertically, but considered a horizontal install.

IMG_20210501_164059.jpg

Back